Coronavirus (COVID-19)

18 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Forgetting the actual story for a minute - the Daily Record articles are now close to unreadable with all the ads and pop ups. Surely it must drive traffic away from them.?

10 hours ago, madwullie said:

My MiL is back in icu - they say its more of a safety measure given its the holiday weekend, rather than she is desperately in need of icu care. I think they had capacity and felt it best for her there. So icu at hairmyres anyway isn't struggling with covid cases as yet. Crazy to think 5 months ago she'd just have been papped home. 

Had to get the two weans (AHVE GOAT TWO WAINS BUT) tested yesterday, thankfully adding a couple of numbers to the negative test side (you're welcome covid deniers) 

Aye, we've had 3 tested in our (extended) family - all negative, too.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

It got broken up around 1 am after another neighbour went and shouted at them. The host had posted on the communal Facebook page at 10 pm saying he required wood urgently as well. 

Are you sure that wasn't "wids"?

I was going to pop in to see Mao's embalmed body in Tiananmen Square but I read he wanted to be cremated after death so found it a bit disrespectful.

That and the queue was fucking massive!

I'd like to think if he signed up to P&B he would supply better content than the Clyde-supporting version we have been lumbered with.

55 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Look forward to seeing Douglas Ross appearing in an article condemning Boris telling universities down south to make students take down the "f**k off Boris" window signs.

The universities have been shocking don't know why they expect students to sit in halls for a year whilst the course is delivered online.

The university situation is baffling. Surely everyone knew that the majority of teaching, if not all of it, would be online this year.

Is it just a case of universities trying to get more money in the form of rental for halls or what? Cant believe they weren't told to keep students away until at least after Xmas.

The university situation is baffling. Surely everyone knew that the majority of teaching, if not all of it, would be online this year.

Is it just a case of universities trying to get more money in the form of rental for halls or what? Cant believe they weren't told to keep students away until at least after Xmas.
It's the only logical explanation. My mate's daughter is studying at Glasgow Caley and she was told almost right from the start that they would not be back on campus until next year.

4 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Covid fucked up Oxford United's travel plans for their game yesterday, but not in the way you might think...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-54310800

Driver has had a few too many the night before and has successfully bullshited his way out of being sacked IMO.

2 hours ago, Aladdin said:

Governments throughout the U.K. were in a Catch 22 on this.  Damned if they let students back, damned if they didn’t.

18 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

I note that the guy in charge of the police operation today said this:

"By flagrantly gathering in large numbers and ignoring social distancing, you are putting your health and the health of your loved ones at risk," he said. 

What qualifications does this policeman have to make this statement? What right does he have to abuse his position in making such a statement?

The job of the police is to police. They are not qualified to make health statements nor do they have the right to do so.

The people at this demonstration clearly don’t agree with him and indeed, will think the exact opposite.

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

And what health qualifications do they have?

11 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

I give in, tell me. 

That's not how it works, you've set yourself up as to who is qualified to give health advice expert.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Governments throughout the U.K. were in a Catch 22 on this.  Damned if they let students back, damned if they didn’t.

There's truth in that.

I'd point the finger much more clearly at the universities here.  For me, the issue isn't so much that they filled their accommodation halls with students.  It's that they did so, while feeling no moral obligation to justify such a course of action by providing some actual, proper classes.  

It beggars belief really that it's quite so shamelessly been set up that way.   Of course it's financially motivated, but it's so brazenly so, that it's shocking.

At Glasgow, they've been shamed into adopting a more caring approach, but even then, I know that the promised wellbeing contact hasn't always happened.

None of this was remotely hard to foresee.  Much of it is unfortunate.  It needn't be quite the mess it is though.

Are schools and universities about to become the main sources of contamination of this new epidemic wave of Covid-19? The latest weekly bulletin from the Public Health France (SPF) agency, published Thursday, September 24, may suggest: 32% of the 899 clusters under investigation concern schools and universities (figure stopped on September 21).

With 285 clusters, for the first time, the educational world is ahead of that of the company, which has 195. Next come health establishments (97) and “public or private events: temporary gatherings of people” (77 ), writes SPF. In its previous bulletin, dated September 17, schools and universities counted 160 clusters under investigation (22% of the total), and only 26 as of September 10.

Presumably a government that keeps telling everyone who'd listen that we're 'three or four weeks behind France!!!!!111111!!!!' will learn the appropriate lessons and start restricting the obvious infection factory for a change.

7 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

That is not how what works?

You don’t need to be a health expert to demonstrate against your civil liberties being removed.

The police should not be giving health advice to the public.

Its not that difficult 

It appears to be for you.

60% of yesterday’s cases were in the under 25,s put them in halls away from their families and let it rip? Could be a stroke of genuine?

Yesterday i saw my neighbour literally booting his teenage soon in the arse down the street ( a lost art if if you ask me ). After he turned up still pished at 8 in the morning from being at his mates all night then returning to the family home where his mother (who works in a care home alao lives)

Such behaviour is unlikely to cause a wider issue in student halls unless someone has underlying health issues in which case they should surely be allowed home

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There's truth in that.

I'd point the finger much more clearly at the universities here.  For me, the issue isn't so much that they filled their accommodation halls with students.  It's that they did so, while feeling no moral obligation to justify such a course of action by providing some actual, proper classes.  

It beggars belief really that it's quite so shamelessly been set up that way.   Of course it's financially motivated, but it's so brazenly so, that it's shocking.

At Glasgow, they've been shamed into adopting a more caring approach, but even then, I know that the promised wellbeing contact hasn't always happened.

None of this was remotely hard to foresee.  Much of it is unfortunate.  It needn't be quite the mess it is though.

The key issue was a workable testing/track and trace regime.  Johnson’s biggest failure was not being able to produce one after promising to do so.

As an aside; why has Germany done so much better than the UK?

Just now, effeffsee_the2nd said:

60% of yesterday’s cases were in the under 25,s put them in halls away from their families and let it rip? Could be a stroke of genuine?

Yesterday i saw my neighbour literally booting his teenage soon in the arse down the street ( a lost art if if you ask me ). After he turned up still pished at 8 in the morning from being at his mates all night then returning to the family home where his mother (who works in a care home alao lives)

Such behaviour is unlikely to cause a wider issue in student halls unless someone has underlying health issues in which case they should surely be allowed home

Stroke of genuine?