Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

And people say she's just a big pair of tits.

Im a country music fan, love Dolly, the things shes done for the poor area of Tenn. where she grew up is nothing short of remarkable and her efforts in improving childhood literacy are amazing. Shes a really wonderful woman so im not surprised shes done that. 

14 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Your ignorance is your own issue I'm afraid.

Princeton University and Harvard's reports are no match for welshbairn.

Still dragging out that obvious parallel of India I see. 

If you dig hard enough you can find a study that says anything you like. This one for example.

https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/146/2/e2020004879

Hopefully this one will be a bit more definitive when it's complete.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/203933/studying-coronavirus-transmission-children-could-help/

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Im a country music fan, love Dolly, the things shes done for the poor area of Tenn. where she grew up is nothing short of remarkable and her efforts in improving childhood literacy are amazing. Shes a really wonderful woman so im not surprised shes done that. 

232B38FE-F6EC-4C1D-8CE8-1C9706E22664.jpeg

39 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Well kind of.

Cases of kids actually getting ill enough to require a visit to the hospital is pretty rare and then much rarer to have a serious complication or die, these cases will likely be kids requiring full time care regardless. We're talking a couple of magnitudes less likely than the adult population.

In terms of how transmissible it is from this population to adults, it's been very rare. Almost unheard of for student-staff and as far as I'm aware, there's not been any staff cases that have come from children in Scotland.

The underlying growth isn't due to the schools being open and the cost of closing them would incur embedded costs on all fronts, partially with the health service in taking staff out the front line.

The headline figures don't tell us a huge deal on where the infection is actually growing and causing risk.

I wonder if children could cure cancer. They seem to have a miraculous ability to nullify viruses.

Most people are almost certainly sticking to the rules most of the time. I'd bet heavily that a majority have broken a few rules here or there now and again and a stubborn minority are breaking them constantly.
Folk think they're 'doing their bit' by following the rules 90% of the time. It's the other 10% that's keeping this thing hanging around.

This in spades.

I've heard a few saying and writing "it's not the law" as justification for not following the rules.

Maybe making it the law will make some of that minority think again.

I still think we should be also binning this face mask exemption nonsense.

PS I notice that no-one picked up on the shift in position regards schools - Swinney making a statement tomorrow - will be interesting.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Still dragging out that obvious parallel of India I see. 

Are Indian children different from other children? What about South Korean children or American children?

Is one of the top universities in the world an okay source?

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/coronavirus-outbreak-and-kids

I'll even pick out some key findings for you:

A complication that has more recently been observed in children can be severe and dangerous. Called multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C), it can lead to life-threatening problems with the heart and other organs in the body. Early reports compare it to Kawasaki disease, an inflammatory illness that can lead to heart problems. 

Most children who become infected with the COVID-19 virus have no symptoms, or they have milder symptoms such as low-grade fever, fatigue, and cough. Early studies suggested that children do not contribute much to the spread of coronavirus. But more recent studies raise concerns that children could be capable of spreading the infection.

Though the recent studies varied in their methods, their findings were similar: infected children had as much, or more, coronavirus in their upper respiratory tracts as infected adults.

Your hastily googled link with data regarding infections in children when the schools were closed and not taking into account asymptomatic cases is meaningless, not that you will have read beyond the headline.

Now you can do your own research next time!

23 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

As far as I'm aware schoolchildren are supposed to be wearing masks in Tier 3 and above.

Only in senior classes. Our S1-3 go around without any. As do the staff when teaching those year groups.

EIS now saying Level 4 must move to blended learning. I don't hold out much hope that they carry enough political or media weight for this to have any impact.

3 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

How on earth can they police the travel ban? 

If you remember the Great Escape one lad evaded the Germans and escaped on a bicycle 

Well there's a cycleway between Newcraighall (City of Edinburgh) and Musselburgh (East Lothian) for those wanting to sneak in for a pint....

Its the schools element which is primarily populist....also the fact that they are citing the need for further restrictions now to 'save' Christmas.
That a significant part of the electorate also happen to be parents?

If course it's political - it's why Labour, Tory and the busted flushes attacked the blended system - because of parental pressure.

5 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

If you remember the Great Escape one lad evaded the Germans and escaped on a bicycle 

Well there's a cycleway between Newcraighall (City of Edinburgh) and Musselburgh (East Lothian) for those wanting to sneak in for a pint....

Good idea 8) 

26 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Bit miffed as to why BBC 6 o’clock news chose to accompany the list of Tier 4 Scottish council areas with a picture of Aberdeen.  

Eta: reminds me of this...

image.png.a072f8a5a3cea3e076f833a56cb38b65.png

That's up there with the attempts of the 'View From the Terrace' guys to locate Annan.