Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Agreed. It's one of the main reasons I don't watch, read or listen to the news at all. I don't miss anything important as it's covered on here, and I mean the 'news' in general, not just COVID stuff.

Travel is the only reason I can think.

Aye but what's heavier, a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers.

But they'll all have great nails.

You are talking about nail bars aye?

I don't mean this as an insult against your dad, and can absolutely see what he means there, but it isn't just about him. If he gets the virus he can infect others, unless he drove himself to yours and drove himself back and isolated for 10 days when he returned.

I get that mate. I'm not lying when I say he never ever leaves the house though, and I'm the only person that visits him. There's not an issue that way, but he's frail as f**k and unlikely to survive if he gets a proper dose. 

So, usual caveats apply about posting graphs on this thread (i.e. it might all be shite)

Travelling Tabby helpfully gets you the data for different age groups over a given period, which you can normalise vs. 1M population to aid comparisons.

Now, I'm assuming that the UK data is collected and presented in the same way as the Scottish data - i.e. daily tests from PCR analysis of people who were symptomatic. If the UK data includes asymptomatic data - for example, from the ONS household survey - then this comparison is a crock of shit. However looking at his notes at the bottom of the page, it suggest the wider UK data comes from the pillar 1 and 2 data that is the Lighthouse lab tests and doesn't include the mailout antibody test kits used in the ONS household survey. Therefore it should be broadly comparible.

Note that the English data uses far narrower age bins for the most part, and all I've done here is compressed those to match the Scottish age bins.

image.png.1e7551ef4ae10ac815d1339ce2c85a2d.png

What's interesting about this to me, is that I expected the two to track fairly well. Actually, they don't. Scotland's highest symptomatic test group is the 20-24 age group over the last week. England's by far in the 25 to 44 age group. Of further interest is that spike in the 5 to 14 and 15-19 age groups in the English data. That's broadly what you see in the ONS household survey that includes the asymptomatic tests as well. Does that mean that asymptomatic cases are proportional to symptomatic cases? That spike in the younger groups relative to the rest of the distribution doesn't appear to exist in the Scottish data.

If you can trust the veracity of the data, what does it suggest? Does it actually mean that symptomatic case rates in younger age groups in Scotland are different to England? I suppose that could be explained in terms of behavioural differences and differences in overall community prevelance. At the very least it implies that there are limits on comparative analysis between nations in the second wave.

Edited by renton

8 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I get that mate. I'm not lying when I say he never ever leaves the house though, and I'm the only person that visits him. There's not an issue that way, but he's frail as f**k and unlikely to survive if he gets a proper dose. 

Yeah and didn't mean to imply you were if you thought that.

The local rag has started giving a community by community breakdown of the weekly positive cases in South Ayrshire. When you see it broken down this way you realise locally here at least just how unlucky you would be to catch it.

The 124 positive coronavirus cases in South Ayrshire between December 4 and December 10 in every neighbourhood:
Alloway and Doonfoot - 8
Dalmilling - 3
Annbank, Mossblown and Tarbolton - 0-2 (suppressed)
Holmston and Forehill - 11
Ayr North Harbour, Wallacetown and Newton South -6
Ayr South Harbour and Town Centre - 7
Carrick North - 4
Castlehill  and Kincaidston - 11
Coylton - 4
Craigie - 0-2 (suppressed)
Maybole - 3
Newton North - 5
Prestwick East - 0-2 (suppressed)
Barassie - 7
Belmont - 5
Carrick South - 3
Dundonald, Loans and Symington - 6
Lochside, Braehead, Whitletts - 3
Muirhead - 4
Prestwick Airport and Monkton - 0-2 (suppressed)
Heathfield - 6
Prestwick West - 6
Girvan Ailsa - 0-2 (suppressed)
Girvan Glendoune - 9
Troon -5

Take Troon as an example split on this between Troon and Barassie it's 12 cases in a week from a population of about 14,000.

Of course the local Facebook Senga's are already rubbishing the stats as there are x dozen at x school and y dozen at y school tested positive this week alone. There apparently were another "10 at least" who have it via a local butchers that closed. Facebook is utter shite !

Christmas should be a write-off. What is so difficult to grasp for these c*nts in charge? Surely if we go in to a tough lockdown-lite, give it until March say just to get most of the vulnerable vaccinated, surely we’ll be in a much better place to start uplifting the measurements, given the rate of infection should be nowhere near as bad (3rd wave most likely if we go with what they have planned), stress on hospitals shouldn’t be as bad and would stop any needless deaths over one fucking day of the year.

Peston reporting there could well be a split in the 4 nations approach. England to stand by the 5 day easing but the other 3 nations may decide to go their own ways as they are not in agreement.

I have a feeling Sturgeon went along with it initially just to appease the ones screaming for a grace period over Christmas but hopefully she shows a bit guile and tells Boris to go f**k himself; she will know how disastrous this will be for Scotland if we pretty much allow anyone to do whatever the f**k they want for 4 full days. If she doesn’t change it, she is a shitebag. F*ck what these right-wing clowns shout and bawl about being locked in for Christmas, that’s nothing compared to the pressure on vital services it’s going to cause.

Will the working from home thing be here to stay or will we revert back to old, traditional office-based ways once everyone is vaccinated?

Home working seems to work in Scandinavia but I get the impression the Tories will want everyone back to the office ASAP to keep rent rolling in on business premises for them and their friends.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

800,000 jobs lost as we put the economy in the bin - meanwhile the supermarkets are packed with the Granny Dangers of the world who just can't go two minutes without ambling in to see if they can get some biscuits. Most couldn't stand up to a gale force wind never mind the 'rona which is overwhelmingly impacting their exact co-morbidity group, but there they are regardless.

DB46B0A0-EBBD-4647-848D-4FBB216816F0.png.f06261953792899bb6bce53b6ac3a64c.png

The fact that measures were not implemented to punt vulnerable groups into enforced shielding from the autumn and instead let everyone take the same decisions because of fairness will be looked back on as a mind-boggling disaster.

Edited by vikingTON

10 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Will the working from home thing be here to stay or will we revert back to old, traditional office-based ways once everyone is vaccinated?

Home working seems to work in Scandinavia but I get the impression the Tories will want everyone back to the office ASAP to keep rent rolling in on business premises for them and their friends.

Here's me on the odd days I'll be expected to go in.kjmh.jpg