Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

No

The JVCI haven't completed a priority list for phase 2 yet (under 50s without underlying conditions), but the fact they're working on it should be enough to convince you that there will be one. As I suggested, there will much more evidence to go on when the over 50s  are done. 

The next phase – further reduction in hospitalisation and targeted vaccination of those at high risk of exposure and/or those delivering key public services
As the first phase of the programme is rolled out in the UK, additional data will become available on the safety and effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines. This data will provide the basis for consideration of vaccination in groups that are at lower risk of mortality from COVID-19.

The committee is currently of the view that the key focus for the second phase of vaccination could be on further preventing hospitalisation.

Vaccination of those at increased risk of exposure to SARS-CoV-2 due to their occupation could also be a priority in the next phase. This could include first responders, the military, those involved in the justice system, teachers, transport workers, and public servants essential to the pandemic response. Priority occupations for vaccination are considered an issue of policy, rather than for JCVI to advise on. JCVI asks that the Department of Health and Social Care consider occupational vaccination in collaboration with other government departments.

Wider use of COVID-19 vaccines will provide a better understanding of whether they can prevent infection and onward transmission in the population. Data on vaccine impact on transmission, along with data on vaccine safety and effectiveness, will potentially allow for consideration of vaccination across the rest of the population.

As trials in children and pregnant women are completed, we will also gain a better understanding of the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines in these persons.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/priority-groups-for-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-advice-from-the-jcvi-30-december-2020/joint-committee-on-vaccination-and-immunisation-advice-on-priority-groups-for-covid-19-vaccination-30-december-2020

A fixed penalty notice to go with his buggered leg.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/walkers-fined-over-covid-rules-breach-after-mountain-rescue-223723

Two men were given fixed penalty notices after being rescued from a Munro on Hogmanay.

Police and mountain rescue teams were called to help when the hikers got into difficulty descending Buachaille Etive Mòr in Glen Coe.

Police Scotland said that one of the men had sustained a leg injury which resulted in 25 members of Glencoe Mountain Rescue Team attending on foot to locate the men and safely assist them off the hill.

The injured man was taken by road ambulance to hospital for assessment. During the rescue, a member of Glencoe MRT suffered an injury which is currently undergoing medical assessment.

Inspector Kevin Macleod, from Highlands and Islands Police Division, said: “The men had travelled from Oban to hike this route, and found themselves in difficultly as the light was fading at 3.25pm when police and MRT were called.

“The rescue took a total of 108 man hours and the team stood down at 7.30pm. Both men, aged 21 and 27, were issued with fixed penalty notices for breaching travel regulations.

"We continue to ask people to take personal responsibility to do the right thing and remember the purpose of these measures is to aid the collective effort to protect the NHS and save lives by preventing the virus from spreading."

The travel restrictions in Scotland have been tightened further since the incident, with a national lockdown put in place from Tuesday morning.

Andy Neilson, team leader at Glencoe Mountain Rescue, said: “We will always continue to provide the vital MRT service that we are committed to. However, the volunteers assisting the men did feel vulnerable due to the inevitable close contact required and we have to prioritise the health of our members in order to continue to provide this vital service."

30 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Not sure why I should put any credence in anyone pointing out my "hot take being bollocks" when the long and short of my "hot take" is that in my opinion the Scottish government are doing an inadequate job of handling the pandemic at this moment. A completely subjective opinion. 

Your sole contribution has been to point out that in your opinion not enough is being done and this should be combatted by more being done.

Well done 

Not sure why I should put any credence in anyone pointing out my "hot take being bollocks" when the long and short of my "hot take" is that in my opinion the Scottish government are doing an inadequate job of handling the pandemic at this moment. A completely subjective opinion. 

Completely subjective opinions can be bollocks.

For instance, TiG is a climate change denier. A completely subjective opinion, but one which is quite clearly bollocks.

Facts are more important than your subjective opinion. You’ve been repeatedly provided with these facts, but still spew the same mewling “hot take”.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Thanks for confirming that you are indeed passing your presumptions off as fact

Not sure what I've posted contradicts my original post. 

44 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That's just phase 1. Once they've experimented on all the wrinklies they'll roll it out to everyone else, presuming it goes well.

18 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Your sole contribution has been to point out that in your opinion not enough is being done and this should be combatted by more being done.

Well done 

Not really given that it's not the only thing I have discussed. 

12 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Completely subjective opinions can be bollocks.

For instance, TiG is a climate change denier. A completely subjective opinion, but one which is quite clearly bollocks.

Facts are more important than your subjective opinion. You’ve been repeatedly provided with these facts, but still spew the same mewling “hot take”.

No one has actually supplied any facts in contradiction to my opinion. No such facts exist to contradict an opinion that the government could be doing better. 

Feel free to try again, or just leave it at agree to disagree 

No one has actually supplied any facts in contradiction to my opinion. No such facts exist to contradict an opinion that the government could be doing better. 
Feel free to try again, or just leave it at agree to disagree 

We’ll agree to disagree then. Good luck.

Just now, Binos said:

I got lambasted on another thread for saying southern Ireland

Lazy racism apparently

Was news to me

Republic has the same number of letters and is more accurate considering the most northern point of Ireland is in the Republic

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Bowel cancer screening kit arrived in the post today, 6 months over my 2 yearly cycle but good to see things like that still functioning.

At nearly 2m cases a month never mind a race between vaccination and virus, it's more likely that a third runner will creep up on the rails in the shape of herd immunity.

But we want that

We just don't want the wrong people, over 80 year olds and such, being exposed to it

1 minute ago, engelbert_humperdink said:

Any word on flu deaths this winter, and the effectiveness of this years vaccine. Don't want to see excess winter deaths of 44,000 + like in 99/00 and 14/15

The thing is, you'd imagine that the vastly reduced social contacts folk have had this year, along side masks and everything else should probably have been reducing flu transmission.

1 minute ago, renton said:

The thing is, you'd imagine that the vastly reduced social contacts folk have had this year, along side masks and everything else should probably have been reducing flu transmission.

Part of the question, if flu deaths shoot down, will it soon be a requirement to wear face coverings in the winter post covid to protect the vulnerable