Coronavirus (COVID-19)

What is it that the Scottish Government is saying is happening that will cause us to go from 16k vaccinations a day to hundreds of thousands a day? Aren't the doses already good to go? What's going to change to cause this huge increase in numbers?

8 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I'm hoping there's more to it than meets the eye in thas rather (on the face of it) rather depressing graph? Anyone able to explain?

image.png.695bd7d853fe2aea77d0370d42b68c18.png

I get the point you are making here, but if you are going to use a graph that covers just three days on here to make it, then i'll come back in a few pages once the simps have replied.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 hours ago, MP_MFC said:
3 hours ago, Elixir said:
How does it actually work in practice in Glasgow etc, i.e. surely you can have a drink in a park on a summer's day?

Nope. I mean people do, but the polis can make you empty it and or fine you.

Once I was drinking in Kelvingrove with a mate, we got stopped by Police. If its a group of girls probably wont get stopped.

Just now, Big Fifer said:

What is it that the Scottish Government is saying is happening that will cause us to go from 16k vaccinations a day to hundreds of thousands a day? Aren't the doses already good to go? What's going to change to cause this huge increase in numbers?

We need to get to around 57k per day to hit our target (assuming 7 days per week).

7 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I'm hoping there's more to it than meets the eye in thas rather (on the face of it) rather depressing graph? Anyone able to explain?

It's a three day snap shot......but I suspect you knew that. 

As an aside, my dad has just messaged me to say he and my mum are getting their jags on Sunday at GPs. They are fit, mid 70s in Helensburgh so must be moving down the tiers now. 

7 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Have we not mostly focused on care homes and staff first which take more time to administer? We've done 80% of residents and 55% of care home staff. I can't remember the stats for down south but it was definitely less.

17 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I get the point you are making here, but if you are going to use a graph that covers just three days on here to make it, then i'll come back in a few pages once the simps have replied.

Why don't you give us your hot take Todd then we can be certain what isn't causing it. 

Edited by madwullie

31 minutes ago, Snafu said:

The UK is still making its 'biggest mistake' of treating COVID like flu - when it should be tackled like SARS, says Professor , chair of Global Public Health. Follow live #coronavirus updates

news.sky.com

UK is making 'biggest mistake' of treating COVID like flu - when it should be tackled like SARS

Professor Devi Sridhar,chair of Global Public Health, has had this to say on Twitter...

Biggest mistake UK made (& continues to make) is seeing COVID like flu that will become seasonal & come back each winter rather than like SARS to push to eliminate. Aside from lives & NHS strain, economy & children are paying an unacceptably high cost for this approach.

— Prof. Devi Sridhar (@devisridhar) January 13, 2021

:blink:

Aye, we shut down half the UK's economy for flu every year, right enough. Can't believe I've never noticed that before. 

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
9 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:
Have we not mostly focused on care homes and staff first which take more time to administer? We've done 80% of residents and 55% of care home staff. I can't remember the stats for down south but it was definitely less.

Exactly.

I had a wee look and a couple days ago England were at something like 23%. They want to have all care home residents vaccinated by 24th January but most care home owners think that is ambitious due to the time it takes.

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

:blink:

Aye, we shut down half the UK's economy for flu every year, right enough. Can't believe I've never noticed that before. 

That's not what she's saying though. 

I don't agree with her, but her point is it isn't flu, but if we treat it as such (seasonal, inevitable) then we will end up taking measures each year to counter it, whereas if we get rid of it now that won't need to be the case. 

It ignores the fact, though, that vaccination should mean it isn't as severe or as prevalent and therefore strict measures won't be required. 

Edited by madwullie

33 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I don't agree with her, but her point is it isn't flu, but if we treat it as such (seasonal, inevitable) then we will end up taking measures each year to counter it, whereas if we get rid of it now that won't need to be the case. 

It ignores the fact, though, that vaccination should mean it isn't as severe or as prevalent and therefore strict measures won't be required. 

It obviously isnt flu and I think there is a point to be made that all government pandemic planning was modelled on flu.

I think we've moved beyond treating it like flu with our approach to vaccination whereby all adults in the UK are to be offered the vaccine and would assume that would be repeated should a modified version be necessary at a later date, accompanied by a massive publicity campaign to get maximise public uptake.

Compare that to flu vaccination which is only offered for free to a subset of the population and the most you see is a reminder advert on the TV come flu season.

Even with vaccination, due to the varying rates of effectiveness, the duration of immunity and whether it remains to be seen to what extent it blocks transmission, its simply not possible to eliminate this coronavirus any time soon.  Theres no reason however why seasonal restrictions would be needed if a repeat vaccination programme is available.

Edit to add the word "simp" is chronic patter and best left to edgelords like Paul Joseph Watson and others who need to make it clear they really don't care about not having a girlfriend.

Edited by Aladdin

30 minutes ago, madwullie said:

"Zero Covid" idiot found.

An annual vaccination delivered at the same time as the flu jag is more likely, and acceptable, than continuing to give the "zero covid" fantasist airtime.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Chief Simp couldn't resist I see

Any word on whether we can trust the Scot govt on being asked to withdraw that document yet? Has it been verified by an acceptable source? ie Toby Young, the fat emperor?