Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Surprised that it's turned out that this virus behaves like pretty much every other virus tbh.

Even the New York Times are coming round to the realisation that as awful as this pandemic is, these things have happened before, will happen again, but they aren't the end times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/health/coronavirus-immunity-future.html

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean, everything you are providing is backing up completely what I've been saying about scientists having opinions so wildly far apart they can't BOTH be correct, but you don't seem to like my saying this.

One scientist in your hastily deleted video says that for the AZ vaccine, the first dose kicks in after 3 weeks and the second dose should be administered 4-12 weeks later. I'm sure you didn't intend to post it though, which is why you got rid of it but not before it could be quoted.

And in the article above another scientist strongly rejects that approach. Albeit for a different vaccine.

So cheers for supporting me, you handily provided both sides of the scientific opinion without me having to find anything.

Still doesn't give any insight into your conclusion as to how we're all 'completely fucked' right enough. But I'll let you stew on that and give it some thought.

Night!

You haven't proved anything except you didn't finish your studies and are filled with smarm.

Obviously there would be a breadth of scientific opinion on anything like there is climate change, but that doesn't mean we can dismiss them all and live in blissful denial cause some dude that did 18 months at uni fifteen years ago reckons it will all be sound like.  Its not a revelation that that would be the case, and not for me to 'like' or 'dislike' you saying it, as ultimately you're a layman with zero qualifications and a chip on your shoulder about me, so your words are pretty much worthless on the subject. 

That's why you listen to a range of opinion and form a view, but included in that isn't laymen who have no credentials.

Completely fucked is what we are, this will go on for years, that is the scientific consensus on the matter, as you handily refer to that is what matters. This won't be gone this year, or next, and life will almost certainly never go back to normal.

You completely misunderstand and misrepresent what I said, I noticed you didn't reference Brexit, the economic damage already sustained or any other factor that would contribute to us being completely fucked for the foreseeable future.

I didn't say we will be in this state with the virus forever, its the scientific consensus its here to stay, and we have it worse than anyone and are using vaccines in an experiemental manner which is advised against by the manufactuers. 

I said when you factor in Brexit, economic damage already sustained, virus circulating in our population forever, we're completely fucked. Economically we will never be what we were 18 months ago, and will be affected, we already are, worse than almost any other country by both the virus and the economic damage, with Brexit piled on top. That's completely fucked mate. We will become a developing country in a generation. The good times for the UK are over now.

Maybe if you want to finish your studies you can educate us all about the virus, until then your opinion is worth the same as my cat's, and he thinks we're fucked.

1 minute ago, Elixir said:

Even the New York Times are coming round to the realisation that as awful as this pandemic is, these things have happened before, will happen again, but they aren't the end times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/health/coronavirus-immunity-future.html

What does that mean though?  It won't be the end of the world?  Oh well that's alright then eh. Its the worst thing to happen to humanity in a hundred years, and we have handled it worse than anybody else and continue to do so. Do you think we'll just come out the other side fuckin dandy? We're completely fucked.  

5 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Completely fucked is what we are, this will go on for years, that is the scientific consensus on the matter, as you handily refer to that is what matters. This won't be gone this year, or next, and life will almost certainly never go back to normal

Looks pretty normal in Mexico just a few days ago...

Life will go back to normal here when, following the roll out of vaccines, the people decide enough is enough.

6 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Pep, the guys in the politics threads were saying they missed you. 

Seriously I'd like to know how old you are. I never, ever, ever go around the forum hassling individual posters. As I am an adult. 

You may not like how I argue, but I'm talking about the subject at hand 100% of the time. Which is what a forum is for. I sometimes might call someone a p***k if they're being a p***k, but only within the confines of the debate already going on.

Never, ever, ever would I even consider going round the forum just to have a go at another poster, whilst not even taking part in the debate, but I get it from what five, six, maybe seven people on here, every single time I'm on.

So I'd like to know how old you are?

6 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

What does that mean though?  It won't be the end of the world?  Oh well that's alright then eh. Its the worst thing to happen to humanity in a hundred years, and we have handled it worse than anybody else and continue to do so. Do you think we'll just come out the other side fuckin dandy? We're completely fucked.  

We will come out the other side, yes. It's what humans do. People also do, tragically, die. Particularly in epidemics. Loved ones will be mourned, as they are every day of every year.

I'm sure the western world will be far better prepared for the next one, like how countries in the far east responded better to this one after their experience with SARS.

I mean look at this walloper above. I told him pages ago I wasn't replying to him anymore, yet since then he's posted what twenty times, every single one just an attempt to have a go at me. 

That's weird. That's absolute weirdo behaviour. What would be the point in that? 

But again as I said, I'm an adult so maybe I just don't get it. For all I know you guys are fifteen, which would explain a lot.

5 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Hearing today that various councils are asking their staff to sign up to an internal register for early vaccination to avoid doses going to waste through folk not turning up to appointments and the limited stability of the vaccine itself. Criteria is that staff must be over 18 and able to make it to an appointment within 30 minutes if selected. Makes sense if doses will be wasted otherwise.

They should save these spare doses, buy some blow pipes and darts and fire them.at participants in the next anti lockdown protest.

Just now, Elixir said:

We will come out the other side, yes. It's what humans do. People also do, tragically, die. Particularly in epidemics. Loved ones will be mourned, as they are every day of every year.

I'm sure the western world will be far better prepared for the next one, like how countries in the far east responded better to this one after their experience with SARS.

That doesn't mean anything. Of course we'll 'come out the other side' as in the UK will still exist, its not going to sink. But in what state, in what timeframe and at what cost?  Come out the other side what a load of fuckin shite tbh. 

4 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I mean look at this walloper above. I told him pages ago I wasn't replying to him anymore, yet since then he's posted what twenty times, every single one just an attempt to have a go at me. 

That's weird. That's absolute weirdo behaviour. What would be the point in that? 

But again as I said, I'm an adult so maybe I just don't get it. For all I know you guys are fifteen, which would explain a lot.

16340470.jpg

13 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

That doesn't mean anything. Of course we'll 'come out the other side' as in the UK will still exist, its not going to sink. But in what state, in what timeframe and at what cost?  Come out the other side what a load of fuckin shite tbh. 

I'd imagine in very poor economic shape to begin with, followed by a recovery. The middle classes will have a lot of money saved up. This year will likely be transitional, and end a lot better, though with anxieties next winter. The pandemic phase will be over for most of the world by this time next year. Again, that is just the majority scientific consensus, and it would follow the same pattern as previous pandemics.

Maybe we'll have another 'roaring twenties', as happened after the last public health emergency of this magnitude. Let's just hope this one doesn't end with Wall Street crashing and fascism rising up again.

Edited by Elixir

1 minute ago, Elixir said:

I'd imagine in very poor economic shape to begin with, followed by a recovery. The middle classes will have a lot of money saved up. This year will likely be transitional, and end a lot better, though with anxieties next winter. The pandemic phase will be over for most of the world by this time next year. Again, that is just the majority scientific consensus, and it would follow the same pattern as previous pandemics.

Maybe we'll have another 'roaring twenties', as happened after the last public health emergency of this magnitude. Let's just hope this one doesn't end with Wall Street crashing and fascism rising up again.

Well lets hope so. Reminder we just committed the greatest act of economic self-harm in human history, and will now have all our laws, regulations and standards rewritten by Jacob Rees Mogg on the back of a pandemic, but I'm sure everything will be fine.

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

When can we expect the route map for X people vaccinated, Y & Z can then open again? 

I don't think they can say "after X people have been vaccinated", because they won't know exactly how that corresponds to cases or the spread of the disease. However, they absolutely should be saying "once the rate drops below Y" or "once ICU and/or hospital capacity drops below Z".

Just now, craigkillie said:

I don't think they can say "after X people have been vaccinated", because they won't know exactly how that corresponds to cases or the spread of the disease. However, they absolutely should be saying "once the rate drops below Y" or "once ICU and/or hospital capacity drops below Z".

The thing is, this will happen naturally as we get into late spring and summer anyway.

Though obviously there will be other metrics to measure this by.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

It's unreal. People see words like 'mutate' and 'evolve' and they think it's like a fucking Pokémon. 

The issue with the SA variant was that it mutated in many places at once, causing concern the vaccines may need tweaked to work. These fears turned out to be unfounded 

It is possible for specific areas to mutate that make it easier to evade anti-bodies (this may have been what I read about the Brazil variant but I can't be certain), but again, that hsoukd hopefully mean that tye vaccine would need tweaked to combat it, not that all current vaccines would be rendered useless.