Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Frequent business travel (which I've always thought a bit of an oddity. People who do it moan like hell about it, but are never short in telling about their latest trip or 'checking in' on social media at an airport) is dead in the water. So they're should be a few less planes in the air.  

Won't make a dent in the great scheme of things. Major change is needed across a wide variety of issues. 

44 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Absolutely this. We've totally fucked it now, there was a glimmer of hope but it wasn't taken up. The absolute necessity of reducing our carbon dump into our atmosphere (that protects us from dying quite simply) has been completely ignored on the global scale. All anyone seems to care about is what Trump has tweeted next and if the pubs are open. If that's the attitude then we deserve to die off ASAP.

I agree the clamour to return to how things were is odd. The world has changed and using 2019 as a yard stick will disappoint a lot of people. Why would anyone want to go back to working in an office or set hours even people who have been furloughed might think they can get by working 4 days a week giving them much more time to enjoy life.

Let's not go back to how things were we need to go forward clean up wet markets, ramp up lab produced meat, tackle inequalities, fund the NHS and generally make sure that when the next pandemic hits we are better prepared whilst reducing the chances of it happening.

3 minutes ago, Steven W said:

No it won't. But a step in the right direction

They reckoned at the height of the spring 2020 lockdown that emissions were down about 25% over the previous year.  That was with, in the West, all but air freight grounded, and practically zero commuter traffic or office use. Just gives you an idea of how deep changes have to go to decarbonise society enough to get climate change under control while allowing some variation of normal life.

Edited by renton

1 minute ago, 101 said:

I agree the clamour to return to how things were is odd. The world has changed and using 2019 as a yard stick will disappoint a lot of people. Why would anyone want to go back to working in an office or set hours even people who have been furloughed might think they can get by working 4 days a week giving them much more time to enjoy life.

Let's not go back to how things were we need to go forward clean up wet markets, ramp up lab produced meat, tackle inequalities, fund the NHS and generally make sure that when the next pandemic hits we are better prepared whilst reducing the chances of it happening.

For the vast majority of people 'returning to normal' means not having the state dictate when you can leave your home or who you can see, not exactly replicating the day to day of life from 18 months ago.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

For the vast majority of people 'returning to normal' means not having the state dictate when you can leave your home or who you can see, not exactly replicating the day to day of life from 18 months ago.

Why not say that then? I have seen a lot of people on here and in the press say they want life to "go back to how it was" which is utterly baffling.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Why not say that then? I have seen a lot of people on here and in the press say they want life to "go back to how it was" which is utterly baffling.

I mean, we could get into a philosophical debate about what 'normal' is but pre-pandemic my working patterns had changed quite a bit from what they were when I left uni in 2010, in fact they changed several times over that period. 

The world has changed from Covid, much like it's changed several times in the past from other external events. The phrase going back to normal doesn't remove the power to shape a different future for ourselves. 

12 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Don't know about anyone else but international travel is pretty far down my list of priorities for the summer.

I've had summers with no holidays before and I'd happily do the same this year if it meant I could meet my pals in the pub for a pint or go for a haircut without wondering whether it'll be my last for 6 months.

That's exactly how I feel.  Going abroad for a holiday doesn't even enter my head.  It's being able to go to the football on a Saturday, few pints before, watch The Caley lose to Arbroath, then a few pints after.

Yes, astonishing how people would like to get back to normal life when we're not allowed to leave our homes except for 'essential purposes' , get fined a few hundred quid if a police officer deems we've strayed too far from home, are required to wear a piece of fabric over our faces to go and buy things at the supermarket, are forbidden from leaving the country for a holiday and any form of indoor entertainment/hospitality is closed. It is also winter with many cold and miserable days and we are also forbidden from seeing friends/family in an indoor with limited exceptions. 

This isn't life - it's fucking shite. 

Edited by Michael W
Typos

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I mean, we could get into a philosophical debate about what 'normal' is but pre-pandemic my working patterns had changed quite a bit from what they were when I left uni in 2010, in fact they changed several times over that period. 

The world has changed from Covid, much like it's changed several times in the past from other external events. The phrase going back to normal doesn't remove the power to shape a different future for ourselves. 

But I would assume you never saw such rapid change and across all sectors.

It's time to take just about everything we did before the pandemic hold it up and say was this really the best way to do things. It's time to ramp up change not slow it down.

27 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Frequent business travel (which I've always thought a bit of an oddity. People who do it moan like hell about it, but are never short in telling about their latest trip or 'checking in' on social media at an airport) is dead in the water. So they're should be a few less planes in the air.  

This. I work for a medium sized company (1,500 employees 15 UK offices.). The funds saved with the lack of travel, hotels and expenses for meetings and training courses is mind blowing even at our wee regional office level. 

The corporate travel sector will be a fraction of what it was after this. 

1 minute ago, PWL said:

This. I work for a medium sized company (1,500 employees 15 UK offices.). The funds saved with the lack of travel, hotels and expenses for meetings and training courses is mind blowing even at our wee regional office level. 

The corporate travel sector will be a fraction of what it was after this. 

That is in itself a good thing, coupled with hopefully a change in culture with more people working from home and hopefully more flexible practices. That should see a significant environmental impact. 

5 minutes ago, 101 said:

But I would assume you never saw such rapid change and across all sectors.

It's time to take just about everything we did before the pandemic hold it up and say was this really the best way to do things. It's time to ramp up change not slow it down.

Maybe not quite as rapid but the internet, smartphones, social media etc have changed life and our day to day pretty significantly over just the last 20 years.

I agree we can ramp up change but it's already happening and we don't need lockdown restrictions to achieve them.

24 minutes ago, 101 said:

"Why would anyone have a different opinion to me?"

I don't think "wet market" means what you think it means btw. 

13 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Yes, astonishing how people would like to get back to normal life when we're not allowed to leave our homes except for 'essential purposes' , get fined a few hundred quid if a police officer deems we've started too far from home, are required to wear a piece of fabric over our faces to go and buy things at the supermarket, are forbidden from leaving the country for a holiday and any form of indoor entertainment/hospitality is closed. It is also winter with many cold and miserable days and we are also forbidden from seeing friends/family in an indoor with limited exceltions. 

But hold on a minute SOME people had to go and fight in the world wars and all you had to do was stay in the house and watch tv, how dare you complain!

also as a "key" worker i'm not tired exhausted or needing clapped for, although I don't work in medical care so maybe that's why!  but i'm quite glad that I still get to go into work, yes i'm at more risk of catching the virus but it also helps break up the time and gives a few hours each day when you don't feel like your in a lockdown. 

24 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Serious question.

Has anyone in the media in the UK asked the question to Government(s). Why are so many people dead in the UK compared to rest of the world?  What the f**k is happening?

I haven't checked so I don't know, but what are total all cause mortality figures like for the UK in 2020 vs the likes of Europe, the US etc?

It's obvious our response was not good, but with everyone counting what constitues a Covid death differently, looking at that number alone won't be a fair comparison to determine just how bad it was.

Yes, astonishing how people would like to get back to normal life when we're not allowed to leave our homes except for 'essential purposes' , get fined a few hundred quid if a police officer deems we've strayed too far from home, are required to wear a piece of fabric over our faces to go and buy things at the supermarket, are forbidden from leaving the country for a holiday and any form of indoor entertainment/hospitality is closed. It is also winter with many cold and miserable days and we are also forbidden from seeing friends/family in an indoor with limited exceptions. 

I think you have quite spectacularly missed the point being made.

No-one is arguing against the points you have made. What is being suggested is that going “back” to something different might actually be better, and that not everything coming out of the changes to our lives has been bad.

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Maybe not quite as rapid but the internet, smartphones, social media etc have changed life and our day to day pretty significantly over just the last 20 years.

I agree we can ramp up change but it's already happening and we don't need lockdown restrictions to achieve them.

I did think once what if this had happened even 20 years ago? we stil had the internet, mobile phones and 24 hour news but not to the extent of today, would they have done far less in terms of shutting down the economy because you couldn't have worked from home with dial up?  would they have allowed everyone to go to work as normal to keep things ticking over? who knows , as much as I never liked the c**t I recon tony blairs 2000 government might have handled this different