Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

We should have a wee competition on when we think certain sectors WILL (not when we think they should / hope) reopen. Say

Barbers

Pubs / Restaurants Outdoors

Pubs / Restaurants Indoors and

A week in mainland Spain without quarantine at either end.

In order for me 19 April

7 June,

26 July

7 September

I like that idea.

Barbers - 23 March
Pubs + Restaurants outdoors - 26 April
Pubs + Restaurants indoors - 14 July
Holibobs in Spain with no quarantine - 1 April 2022

31 minutes ago, PWL said:

At the moment, the majority of positive vaccine impact news is coming from Israel - understandable given they were first off the mark in rolling in out. Rightly or wrongly, data produced from the regime of that nation results in an element of scepticism and scrutiny that other countries do not attract. I'm being as diplomatic as possible here! 

Also, the UK have focused on a single dose approach with a 12 week gap. The jury remains out on whether that tactic is the most effective. 

They are also only using the Pfizer vaccine iirc, so also makes it a different variable to us.

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

We should have a wee competition on when we think certain sectors WILL (not when we think they should / hope) reopen. Say

Barbers

Pubs / Restaurants Outdoors

Pubs / Restaurants Indoors and

A week in mainland Spain without quarantine at either end.

In order for me 19 April

7 June,

26 July

7 September

England.  Pubs. 23rd April.  Nap.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

amazing news, hopefully see rapid decreases right across the board in the coming weeks.

These vaccines are going to make a lot of people look very fucking stupid, ie Leitch, Sridhar etc. And tbh, even Sturgeon if she doesnt change tack from these ghouls. 

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

It’s not a need to be 100% sure, but it’s still far too early to have enough data to be at a point we can be sure enough. It’s not even been a month since we started vaccinations. 

Regardless of what you think, there is a scientific process to follow and they will be following it.

What? It’s been over 2 months.

Unfortunately I live in one of the few areas that does not have an SNP MSP, but I’m going to write to the SNP candidate now to let them know that they are about to lose my vote. Been quite raging with a lot of the decisions and rhetoric throughout, but still currently planning to vote SNP. If places of worship are opened before I am allowed to visit my family indoors, then my long-standing support is gone.

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:

This seems like good news.

I look forward to tomorrow's news reports on the new Costa Del Sol variant which is "causing concern".

I think the media need to rethink their variant strategy - these foreign ones aren't striking enough fear into the general population. Maybe we need an Easterhouse variant, one that will ask you for the time and mug your phone off you. 

9 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

What? It’s been over 2 months.

Yeah sorry, it was meant to be a few months. P&B whilst working isn’t the best idea! I just meant in terms of time for collecting data it’s still early days. 

9 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

X10 or x100 that?

Nobody will accept that.

Well yeah obviously hundreds of thousands or millions of people dying every year would be unacceptable. But you initially said thousands dying every year would be unacceptable yet we have all accepted that thousands or tens of thousands of people will die of flu every single year that any of us have been alive without hysterically calling for everything to be shut down.

Edited by Gordon EF

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

It’s not a need to be 100% sure, but it’s still far too early to have enough data to be at a point we can be sure enough. It’s not even been a month since we started vaccinations.

We have two hundred years of data on how other vaccinations impact transmission and eradicate disease outbreaks. We are not reinventing the wheel here in any way whatsoever.

The live data from countries that are much, much further along than the UK can also directly inform decisions here. 'Wait and see' decision-making is not credible and will tank industries up and down the country. 

Regardless of what you think, there is a scientific process to follow and they will be following it.

Is this the same 'scientific process' that led UK governments to claim that:

- an Old Firm match posed no threat of infection, but an Albion Rovers game now does

- face masks were unnecessary and were only suitable for Asian cultural norms anyway 

- schools were safe except that they're not

- firing students into university dorms is fine except oh wait it's not anymore

- let's have a limited 'circuit-breaker' lockdown in October that areas didn't actually get out of before Christmas

This being just the Greatest Hits volume of Clownshoes Leitch's idiot found contributions. So no, there is no evidence of a logical process being followed. The only one that they did provide - the regional tier criteria - was never actually followed either.

It is government by back of a fag packet,  pseudo-scientific but in reality political choices. 

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

These vaccines are going to make a lot of people look very fucking stupid, ie Leitch, Sridhar etc. And tbh, even Sturgeon if she doesnt change tack from these ghouls. 

In what way? The whole Covid Zero thing? I agree it's odd Devi is still going on about it when realistically there was no chance of us doing that after march. Some of the things they come outwith in response to journos are strange and I think at the forefront of JL mind is not to over promise, which gets him in bother as well. Realistically he should have stopped doing media appearances long ago and it should be a member of cabinet.

As for the others they will just say it outperformed what we expected, in terms of up take and efficacy, which is probably true. I don't think anyone would have been in favour of them assuming that 90% take up was realistic and say we will be in great shape in March/April. But we need a road map now to plot exactly how we get out of this, I see no reason why main land Scotland wouldn't be in Level 3 restrictions once the next group are done and then moving down the levels a month at a time.

Following all this the enquiry will be interesting tbh I don't think anyone will be made to look that far off the mark for their work in 2021 as public enquiries tend to go for "what more could you have done to save lives" I doubt the enquiry will focus on the relaxation of the rules and if it was done too slowly, for better or worse. I don't know if they will look very stupid, I doubt it and even if they do I doubt people will be that interested in rehashing it all.

The sooner it's over the better and then the real work starts to rebuild Scotland.

ETA sorry that's some ramble. TLDR: yes they may but let's hope it's over sooner rather than later.

Edited by 101