Coronavirus (COVID-19)

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Literally can only speak for myself here and won't presume to do so for others.

At no point during this have I ever been scared of Covid.

Unless you are a patient facing NHS worker, or one of very few other professions you were never "putting your life at risk" to any degree worth screeching about IMO.

The idea that anyone would be stupid enough to believe their life was at risk due to Covid from going to work and still did it (again, caregivers aside) is kind of insulting

I'm not sure the statistics back you up here. People going to work are far more at risk than those working at home based on death rates, no?

21 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Unless you are a patient facing NHS worker, or one of very few other professions you were never "putting your life at risk" to any degree worth screeching about IMO.

The idea that anyone would be stupid enough to believe their life was at risk due to Covid from going to work and still did it (again, caregivers aside) is kind of insulting

Is this you outing yourself as a main player 😉 

10 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

On another note, may I ask you learned folks if it's factual that those who have had COVID only need one dose of the vaccine?

There is accumulating evidence that one dose of vaccine in previously infected individuals provides even greater protection than two doses in uninfected individuals, likely due to the more broad immune response provided my natural infection. I am sure there is at least one country who have decided one dose is enough in those previously infected - possibly France.

20 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I wouldn't say I was scared at the time but it was concerning. As an aside, 3 of our customers died as a result of Covid in quick succession, 2 publicans & a retailer whose shop was fairly close to Anfield. Both pubs were also rammed the night of that European game so the fear was very real amongst a lot of our staff at the time,it was not to be dismissed out of hand but the risk compared to NHS was absolutely minimal & in no way would I compare anyone working in Retail to them in terms of being a key worker.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Wouldnt jump a queue but was working 6 days a week for a bit last year and the local tesco offered some out of hours shopping for a few different groups, that was a bit of a lifesaver as our wee boys nursery was shut so could avoid having to take him to the shops when the lines were massive (would have been a disaster). 

I've said for years that shops should limit certain groups to only being able to come in at certain times.

The amount of lunchtimes I've wasted being stuck behind old Maude at the post office taking ages to pay in her 37p in coffers when I've only got 25 minutes to do everything I need to do, when these old c***s could go at any time of the fucking day and not clog up the queue at lunchtimes.

24 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I think you’re way off here, especially the bit in bold. I actually think you’re being a bit insulting and there’s a lot of revisionism going on here based on what we know now.

At the point of the first lockdown we knew very little on who it was impacting on and it was believed, by a large majority I would suggest, that there was a serious risk to potentially anyone. Plenty of workers had to continue to go to work and legitimately (due to the thinking and press coverage at the time) put their lives at risk. The bit in bold is actually verging on outrageous to me, essentially accusing anyone who was scared of Covid but not willing to chuck their job and livelihood down the drain as “stupid”.

Yeah you're actually right there tbh so il just have to hold my hands up to that one. Veered off from my own experiences there which is what I had started out with.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I was in a Burger King a few weeks back in my place.  They have priority lines here for Old Timers and Disabled (good idea) and have now added frontline workers (means hospital staff here)  to the category. A young female came in with her boyfriend (they weren't working as not in uniform) and they both went to the priority line to get served first.  It wasn't even that busy so they maybe saved 2 minutes.  I'd not have had the neck to do that.  

Folk have the neck for anything, some were phoning restaurants and takeaways demanding discounts and or free meals with threats of shaming because they were nurses etc. 

Plenty of arseholes at all levels. 

13 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I've said for years that shops should limit certain groups to only being able to come in at certain times.

The amount of lunchtimes I've wasted being stuck behind old Maude at the post office taking ages to pay in her 37p in coffers when I've only got 25 minutes to do everything I need to do, when these old c***s could go at any time of the fucking day and not clog up the queue at lunchtimes.

I think genuinely we need to do more to keep older folks active, all the wee lunch clubs shut down, no where for a widowed wee old dear to go for a chat, its natural they gravitate to being in shops every day etc. Guaranteed if we did more to keep them busy, engaged and active we wouldnt have half the problems of elderly folks rotting in hospitals for months and dementia ravaging our population. Granted some is unavoidable but a lot of science shows keeping folks minds active is important. Cutting public services, lunch clubs, funding to wee bowling clubs etc has absolutely caused this. 

2 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Folk have the neck for anything, some were phoning restaurants and takeaways demanding discounts and or free meals with threats of shaming because they were nurses etc. 

Plenty of arseholes at all levels. 

Yep.  I wasn't particularly having a go at the woman because she was in the medical profession, just because she was an arsehole.  IMO. 

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Yep.  I wasn't particularly having a go at the woman because she was in the medical profession, just because she was an arsehole.  IMO. 

It's beneath contempt but that shouldn't detract from all the people who were helping their communities paid or otherwise. 

52 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Wild that we're over a year into this and people continue to reveal themselves to have zero empathy on a daily basis.

36 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Sky's take on Chris Whitty's comments yesterday:

An absolutely risible outlet.

I doubt we will even be talking about Covid-19 in two years. We are months away from being in a position to have offered every adult in the UK a vaccine which is ridiculously effective.

Anyone talking about covid vaccines in 2023 will only be doing so because they have money to be made from them. With a substantial number of shares in GSK, Whitty falls squarely into that category.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I think you’re way off here, especially the bit in bold. I actually think you’re being a bit insulting and there’s a lot of revisionism going on here based on what we know now.

At the point of the first lockdown we knew very little on who it was impacting on and it was believed, by a large majority I would suggest, that there was a serious risk to potentially anyone. Plenty of workers had to continue to go to work and legitimately (due to the thinking and press coverage at the time) put their lives at risk. The bit in bold is actually verging on outrageous to me, essentially accusing anyone who was scared of Covid but not willing to chuck their job and livelihood down the drain as “stupid”.

I thought there was a point where bus drivers? were dying at a greater rate than hospital staff. 

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

It was "all legal limits on social contact removed"

& "Restrictions on large events lifted"

These vaccine passports are a way to make this happen as planned, whilst keeping the over-cautious experts off his back.

I struggle to see what you can't grasp about that.

Screenshot_20210402-120550_WhatsApp.jpg

I cant understand why its necessary in a country which will by that time quite likely have everyone with at least one vaccine or the 90% of us who take it, yes under 18’s dont get it but is it genuinely justifiable to spend that money on a domestic product when such high proportions have had the vaccine? 

7 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I cant understand why its necessary in a country which will by that time quite likely have everyone with at least one vaccine or the 90% of us who take it, yes under 18’s dont get it but is it genuinely justifiable to spend that money on a domestic product when such high proportions have had the vaccine? 

It’s absolutely wild to think you’ll need to show a document to get into places for a virus that has a 99% survival rate. This stopped being about a virus a long time ago. 

12 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I don't agree that it is necessary, nor do I think it's justifiable.

But it's going to happen, and not because we need it.

Other countries may have a valid case for them due to being behind in their vaccine rollout, but that doesn't mean we need to copy them.

Labour, of course, could grow a set and vote against it, but they will abstain like they have for every other vote, meaning the Lib Dems and 'rebel' Tory MPs won't be enough to stop it.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

No.

But I can see what the UK Gov would have to gain from bringing them in short-term.

There is no chance it'll be short term.

Tech giants, billionaires like Gates and snakes like Blair and Schwabb having been pushing for this for years prior to the pandemic. 

Edited by Detournement