Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Wish to f**k government would find a vaccine for woke and cancel culture, or simply make them a crime with a 10 year min jail term. 
Sadly those self serving c***s are also the ones who engender this shit to create division and polarise society for political ends. 
Now, I hope all those self entitled lazy basrds on the pretend WFH are preparing to get their lazy bone arses back to the office on July 19 or face the sack! 
Ah but the school holidays...! 
Through the worst of Covid we many a brave health worker and many others putting their life on the line to save others, yet these self entitled wankers now giving it, ah but we can still WFH. Couldn't mark their neck with a fucking blow torch. 
Can see many tribunals over the next few years, as the LB self entitled mob remain in denial. Ah but.... 
With the backlog due to Covid should be two years without any dosh and get f**k all at the end of it. Hell mend the dodgers. 
Pension fund heavily into city centre office accommodation. Acht nae luck but look on the bright side no shortage of cheap student accommodation for years to come. Every cloud eh !

8 minutes ago, BlueBear said:

Wish to f**k government would find a vaccine for woke and cancel culture, or simply make them a crime with a 10 year min jail term. 

Sadly those self serving c***s are also the ones who engender this shit to create division and polarise society for political ends. 

Now, I hope all those self entitled lazy basrds on the pretend WFH are preparing to get their lazy bone arses back to the office on July 19 or face the sack! 

Ah but the school holidays...! 

Through the worst of Covid we many a brave health worker and many others putting their life on the line to save others, yet these self entitled wankers now giving it, ah but we can still WFH. Couldn't mark their neck with a fucking blow torch. 

Can see many tribunals over the next few years, as the LB self entitled mob remain in denial. Ah but.... 

With the backlog due to Covid should be two years without any dosh and get f**k all at the end of it. Hell mend the dodgers. 

Imagine being this desperate for attention.

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Adam said:

My work are expected to announce this afternoon that WFH will now become the default position post pandemic, and expect to sell a couple of floors in both Glasgow and London back to the landlord, keeping only one floor in each location for meetings, interviews etc…

Delicious.

What will that mean for those in a pokey flat trying to work on a kitchen table or couch without a proper chair and lighting ?  i wouldnt fancy a job where wfh was the norm, i've  never lived more than 20 mins from work so my commute is negligible . that said , i did WFH yestarday for the first time since early march & i have to say it felt much different with stuff open and life happening outside of work as opposed to full lockdown when work was the only change of scenery we could get.  dare say it might be awrite when life returns to full normality, still tho be careful what you wish for, as said before if a job can be done remotely then it can be done abroad by cheaper labour. 

12 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

What will that mean for those in a pokey flat trying to work on a kitchen table or couch without a proper chair and lighting ?  

Your point is a good one.

Your employer is responsible for your heath and safety and conditions while working. 

This doesn’t end because you are not in the office so they either have to provide the appropriate desk and chair etc or a suitable place for you to work from. 

Edited by Abdul_Latif

5 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

...as said before if a job can be done remotely then it can be done abroad by cheaper labour. 

True, but it's not like outsourcing abroad is a new idea.  If companies thought they could outsource and save a few bucks, wouldn't they have done so already?  It may impact but I'm not convinced it will be significant. 

8 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

What will that mean for those in a pokey flat trying to work on a kitchen table or couch without a proper chair and lighting ?  i wouldnt fancy a job where wfh was the norm, i've  never lived more than 20 mins from work so my commute is negligible . that said , i did WFH yestarday for the first time since early march & i have to say it felt much different with stuff open and life happening outside of work as opposed to full lockdown when work was the only change of scenery we could get.  dare say it might be awrite when life returns to full normality, still tho be careful what you wish for, as said before if a job can be done remotely then it can be done abroad by cheaper labour. 

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Good point.

Not even remotely a good point (no pun intended)

Things like IT and call centres (i.e. jobs which involve following a well defined process) can certainly be offshored, and indeed they largely already have.

But for most professional jobs which involve a large degree of thinking on your feet, the skills to do these jobs well are simply not available in such countries. 

28 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Haven't been on this thread since 15th April, someone bring me up to speed.

Your mob bottled yet another cup final, which Jason wanted fans at then decided not to let anyone in.

Apart from that nothing

4 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Your employer is responsible for your heath and safety and conditions while working. 

This doesn’t end because you are in you are not in the office so they either have to provide the appropriate desk and chair etc or a suitable place for you to work from. 

I'm not sure how far they need to go,  but you're correct that it's the employer's responsibility.  Sure, they may need to provide a suitable desk and chair, but suitable place?  They would hardly be expected to help folk move to a bigger place.  It's all down to reasonably practical measures.

Just now, Donathan said:

Things like IT and call centres (i.e. jobs which involve following a well defined process) can certainly be offshored, and indeed they largely already have.

But for most professional jobs which involve a large degree of thinking on your feet, the skills to do these jobs well are simply not available in such countries. 

I think there's a high degree of wishful thinking going on there, but the real anchor is that few jobs are likely to be entirely WFH. There will still be a need to access organisational resources stored in a physical space, or to get work IT repairs, or for 'teambuilding' or other organisational activities even for those whose regular work is 100% WFH. 

You can't do any of that and stay in your post in the long run if you're actually phoning it in from a beach bar in Sri Lanka. 

31 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

All the talk on here is about what’s happening in a country whose rules don’t apply to us on public health.

When do we hear from our great leader?

Probably today, as normal.

I'm not sure how far they need to go,  but you're correct that it's the employer's responsibility.  Sure, they may need to provide a suitable desk and chair, but suitable place?  They would hardly be expected to help folk move to a bigger place.  It's all down to reasonably practical measures.

Anyone who didn't have physical space to WFH with us has been offered an office based alternative but not as it was, hot desking now. Uptake was tiny about 3 out of 90 odds. Our old building is already on the market !

11 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

This doesn’t end because you are not in the office so they either have to provide the appropriate desk and chair etc or a suitable place for you to work from. 

They will also tell you to buy it off the money your saving from no commute to word 5 days a week.

Contracts getting re-written as we speak.

I see there’s been a social media uproar after Philip Schofield and Holly Willoughby were spotted sitting together at Wimbledon when they socially distance on the set of This Morning

How hard is it for folk to realise that ITV is their workplace and therefore can be expected to have reasonable H&S measures in place whereas when they attend Wimbledon in a personal capacity as friends, they can make their own judgement as to whether or not to socially distance from each other? 

7 minutes ago, hk blues said:

True, but it's not like outsourcing abroad is a new idea.  If companies thought they could outsource and save a few bucks, wouldn't they have done so already?  It may impact but I'm not convinced it will be significant. 

5 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I work for a mid sized professional services firm. We and most of our peers haven't outsourced much before but are looking to do it increasingly due to skills shortages, cost savings and the last 18 months effectively working as proof of concept. 

The last point is why it hasn't happened before. 

Remains to be seen what the quality is like but we've heard from our Antipodean associates that it is great, for higher level more routine stuff. 

8 minutes ago, Donathan said:

181206.png

Just now, SlipperyP said:

They will also tell you to buy it off the money your saving from no commute to word 5 days a week.

Contracts getting re-written as we speak.

Not gonna hold. An impoverished one working parent family in a cramped council house would sweep up at a tribunal if sacked for not being able to carry out their work due to home working conditions… 

Also not everyone has commuting costs. Plenty people are walking or cycling distance to work so how do you apply the non saved cost commute?

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Anyone who didn't have physical space to WFH with us has been offered an office based alternative but not as it was, hot desking now. Uptake was tiny about 3 out of 90 odds. Our old building is already on the market !

Whenever my work get round to announcing what their policy is (it's been indicated it will be some kind of hybrid setup) I'll selflessly volunteer to give up my allocated office time for someone that doesn't have decent space to WFH.