Coronavirus (COVID-19)

25 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Yeah, he should just be renamed Professor Doom and be done with it. I really dont understand why the media don't even challenge or ask questions to understand the models?

Things like what are the assumptions underpinning this? Is it a worse case scenario? Did you model any other scenarios? 

The media have really failed during this pandemic. It's been sensationalist scare mongering throughout. I don't think any main stream outlet has been sceptical or challenging enough. The worm is maybe turning now but it's taken far too long.

You only have to look at the reaction to anyone who challenges the experts, though, to perhaps understand why:

"Who am I going to believe - an expert or a journalist from a yoon rag?"

Ultimately, a newspaper's job is to make money, and to do that they need to produce articles their customer base want.

21 months in a seemingly large number of people are far too comfortable keeping "safe" by following the rules (the group of ladies at the gym epitomise this perfectly) and living with restrictions that don't directly affect them because "it's better to be safe than sorry" that they are not ready to accept that, maybe, the experts got things wrong.

They also, categorically, cannot differentiate between the current "bad cold" variant of SARS-CoV-2 and either the Wuhan or Delta variants, so the idea that the same virus isn't actually that dangerous anymore is alien to them. For these people "Covid" instantly equals hospital, ventilator and death.

In short, the majority of their readers aren't interested in investigative journalism, and seeing these models not become reality makes them feel better about making a difference.

Edited by Todd_is_God

17 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Yeah, he should just be renamed Professor Doom and be done with it....

Why he is still being listened to rather than laughed at after his completely over the top modelling prediction in early 2020 is beyond me but I also feel the same way about Greta & Co in a yes it's a potential problem but do please try to get a grip with all the attention seeking apocalyptic stuff sort of way.

Looks like Boris and the big bad Tories got it right, and Nicola got it wrong. Is anyone surprised? All restrictions should be lifted today. They won’t be, though.
IMG_7461.jpg

Is anyone here expert enough on the Emergency Corona Virus act to tell me if the Scottish one is granted by virtue of the UK one?

Eg; if the UK one is ended, does the Scottish one also end because it only exists as an extension of the UK act?

I’ve tried to work this out for a bit, but can’t find anything much on it tbh.

Edited by Abdul_Latif

Is anyone here expert enough on the Emergency Corona Virus act to tell me if the Scottish one is granted by virtue of the UK one?
Eg; if the UK one is ended, does the Scottish one also end because it only exists as an extension of the UK act?

I believe it will be a devolved one as it’s ultimately based on a devolved issue.

Yeah, he should just be renamed Professor Doom and be done with it. I really dont understand why the media don't even challenge or ask questions to understand the models?
Things like what are the assumptions underpinning this? Is it a worse case scenario? Did you model any other scenarios? 
The media have really failed during this pandemic. It's been sensationalist scare mongering throughout. I don't think any main stream outlet has been sceptical or challenging enough. The worm is maybe turning now but it's taken far too long.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

I wish I was the bookie these “experts” bet with, I wouldn’t be needing to go back to work tomorrow 

51 minutes ago, Lex said:

Looks like Boris and the big bad Tories got it right, and Nicola got it wrong. Is anyone surprised? All restrictions should be lifted today. They won’t be, though.
IMG_7461.jpg

I’m sure NS will be falling over herself to promote how Scotland’s infection rate is higher than England’s- just like she was when the situation was reversed for a few weeks.

Not.

The NHS sent untested people from hospitals into care homes. They refused to provide medical care to care home residents. People over 70 in hospital with Covid were given pallative care rather than treatment. DNRs were pushed onto disabled people. 

The purpose of all this is debatable but all of that happened in 2020 and certainly inflated the Covid IFR. 

3 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Does anyone know if anyone getting covid after their booster?  I’ve only known a few people getting it after double vaccination and a few before vaccinations were available.

I have had my booster and I currently have it. Very mild symptoms, but still. Also the friend who gave me it, I think also had his booster. 

1 hour ago, Abdul_Latif said:

I'm sure once the UK Act goes, the SG can't, legally, enforce anything.

It's why they are itching for the powers to do so to be made permanent.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The NHS sent untested people from hospitals into care homes. They refused to provide medical care to care home residents. People over 70 in hospital with Covid were given pallative care rather than treatment. DNRs were pushed onto disabled people. 

The purpose of all this is debatable but all of that happened in 2020 and certainly inflated the Covid IFR. 

As did, undoubtably, the absence of mass testing.

Does anyone know if anyone getting covid after their booster?  I’ve only known a few people getting it after double vaccination and a few before vaccinations were available.
Yep, sister in law has had her booster and has had a positive LFT, waiting on the PCR to confirm it.