Coronavirus (COVID-19)

40 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I work with a number of Tory voting boomers, the type who clearly ejaculate on a Union Flag every night before they go to bed, and they’re all for some flavour of permanent measures (masks, table service), and think Sturgeon is doing a great job. 

Conversely, the vast majority of my friends and acquaintances who are in their 20s and 30s are pro-Indy Nationalists who have been calling her every name under the sun and some have left the SNP over the party’s handling of the pandemic.

To me it shows there is a clear trend here and it’s not to do with who you vote for.

I bet that lots of those you refer to as boomers are no such thing.

In my workplace of about 60 employees, I can think of only 3 who belong to that demographic group.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I bet that lots of those you refer to as boomers are no such thing.

In my workplace of about 60 employees, I can think of only 3 who belong to that demographic group.

You mean the boomers who I speak to daily both in person and over Teams about a vast range of subjects including politics (including Scottish independence), Covid (mainly Covid measures and restrictions) and football? 

I’ll concede the part about cumming on a Union Flag, that’s purely speculation on my part. 

You do realise certain work places can have different demographics?

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I have to say I find the older generation deriding millennials equally as boring as the younger generation doing the same with boomers. There’s very little to be gained from it. 

There’s no derision intended, I’m pointing out that in my experience, the guys I work with directly in the office, 2 of which are in their early 60s and 1 in his mid 50’s, vote Tory and want restrictions kept as a ‘new normal’ and my friends in a younger demographic are the opposite.  It was an example of the difference of opinion across age ranges.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

You mean the boomers who I speak to daily both in person and over Teams about a vast range of subjects including politics (including Scottish independence), Covid (mainly Covid measures and restrictions) and football? 

I’ll concede the part about cumming on a Union Flag, that’s purely speculation on my part. 

You do realise certain work places can have different demographics?

Indeed, but my sector has a notably ageing workforce.

You have to be at least in your late 50s now to qualify as a boomer.  I can't know this, but I suspect you just mean those a good bit older than you, who you bracket in an inaccurate term you use as derogatory.

The fact that you seem to jump from boomer to those in their 20s and 30s in the initial post, suggests to me that you're using the team very loosely.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

There’s no derision intended, I’m pointing out that in my experience, the guys I work with directly in the office, 2 of which are in their early 60s and 1 in his mid 50’s, vote Tory and want restrictions kept as a ‘new normal’ and my friends in a younger demographic are the opposite.  It was an example of the difference of opinion across age ranges.

Your mid 50s colleague isn't a boomer.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Wasn’t particularly aimed at you, I just see it a fair bit on the forum.

Theres certainly correlations to be drawn between age and political views. Ultimately it’s self interest though, isn’t it? The older demographic on the whole are more likely to get bad illness from covid and less likely to be out and about and ultimately impacted as much by things like masks and restrictions etc.

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You have to be at least in your late 50s now to qualify as a boomer.  I can't know this, but I suspect you just mean those a good bit older than you, who you bracket in an inaccurate term you use as derogatory.

The fact that you seem to jump from boomer to those in their 20s and 30s in the initial post, suggests to me that you're using the team very loosely.

Did you take lessons at some point in your life to perfect this art of being a boring c**t or does it just come naturally? 

13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The 3 guys I work with directly are 'boomers' although seeing as the term and my definition seems to upset you and I don't particularly like the term either, I'll call them 'loss of pension worriers'.  They and I are my team.  The 20 and 30 somethings I mentioned are my friends, I made that quite clear.

What I also made quite clear was that there was an amusing crossover, with folk who hate Sturgeon and everything she stands for politically, praising her to the hilt over Covid as opposed to folk who agree with everything she stand for politically, calling her a cunt over Covid, and leaving the SNP.

Also, settle down with the definition of the term boomer.

13 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Wasn’t particularly aimed at you, I just see it a fair bit on the forum.

Theres certainly correlations to be drawn between age and political views. Ultimately it’s self interest though, isn’t it? The older demographic on the whole are more likely to get bad illness from covid and less likely to be out and about and ultimately impacted as much by things like masks and restrictions etc.

Definitely is. They are more vulnerable to it and I get that, but there are actions they themselves can take themselves to better protect themselves. They can wear proper masks, if masks are their thing, rather than some basic surgical mask that lives in the jacket pocket and has been worn on the last five outings to Tesco, for example. I'd put mask wearing here (England) in shops etc somewhere between 15-30% and sightings of FFP2 masks are very rare indeed. Contrary to what a lot of people seem to say, I really don't think there is a large appetite for them. Anyone who wants to wear one is of course free to continue doing so. 

However, much of the lasting damage from this will not really be of concern to that generation. Many are retired, mortgages paid off and are unconcerned with the economy going to shit, people losing their jobs and of course the working population being required to pay back a lot of the government support put in place. 

It's not really surprising there's conflict. You have on one hand some people at risk of serious illness demanding people don't do things, and on the other you have people who are at very little risk but see their livelihoods suffering. 

56 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I find much the same in our social circle.

My wife’s pals , all 70 plus blue rinse Tories thought NS is doing a great job and are all for restrictions.

Whereas our kids and grandkids don’t give a toss and our younger boy is now totally anti SNP after having been a devout follower.

Strange times indeed!

just to b awkward, I know some people in their 20s who have consistently acted like one sniff of this would mean certain death despite having little to fear (on paper at least) and are still living like that, I also know some people who probably should be a bit more cautious but have been acting quite blase about it the whole time, who knows, everybody's different..

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

This is a problemmatic view because most of them will have children and grandchildren and absolutely DO care about what world they are leaving behind for them.

Conflict is happening because people are not thinking enough about anything and are leaping to conclusions about others.

Their support (and in some cases demands) for lockdown measures has caused fundamental damage to the younger generations, though. 

I read an article a while back, the gist of which was that the government was wrong to put out the message that we were all in the same boat with covid. It wasn't true at all - we were all partly in the same boat that we could all get the virus, but the effects of it were far from evenly distributed. In time people of course realised their respective risk profiles towards the virus. I get *why* the message was put out to try and avoid us v them, but people are smart enough to figure out out anyway.