Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

Doing business via WhatsApp was forbidden in the firm I worked for. Anything relating to business activity beyond some basic messages with team members (when will the report for client X be ready etc.) was a no-no. 

I have few doubts it still happened on the sly, right enough, but it wasn't allowed and would've resulted in a "no biscuits" meeting if discovered. Although not a US entity, we served clients subject to SEC rules and so these were always taken very seriously. The position on WhatsApp has almost inevitably been tightened as a result. 

My role is no longer a client-facing one, but my new employer similarly doesn't allow work to be conducted via WhatsApp. 

I do however think it's different for private companies and the Government. Governments need to keep records and show why decisions have been taken; I have no problem with them talking about that on WhatsApp as a medium, but it needs to be retained and recorded appropriately to evidence the decision. Private businesses are inclined not to allow WhatsApp or severely restrict it in case a mislaid device makes its way into the wrong hands and exposes confidential information, leading to any number of problems. Businesses operating in regulated sectors also have additional issues with record retentions. Add on the potential for conflicts of interest and bribery (e.g. between a client and a service provider) and It's just not worth the risk. 

We have a team WhatsApp group, it's usually used to let managers know the computers doing yet another update/internet down/dog photos. We absolutely cannot share anything about the work itself on it. We're all home based.

Not defending anyone but I'd not be surprised if owing fact more of gov and a lot civil servants had her number sturgeon (I've never voted.snp) was regularly deleting messages due to volume rather than patygate style cover ups. 

Leitch having nothing to say however means it's probably not innocent deletion.

Edited by RH33

Just now, RH33 said:

We have a team WhatsApp group, it's usually used to let managers know the computers doing yet another update/internet down/dog photos. We absolutely cannot share anything about the work itself on it. We're all home based.

Not defending anyone but I'd not be surprised if owing fact more of gov and a lot civil servants had her number sturgeon (I've never voted.snp) was regularly deleting messages due to volume rather than patygate style cover ups. 

I very much doubt that the FM is working with a complete banger of a phone that can't handle the relatively small amount of storage WhatsApp messages require. 

And of course, if she or anyone else had to delete messages for a technical reason, then they a) should have ceased conducting government business using that method immediately and b) should have disclosed whether any information was deleted at the earliest opportunity at that time - instead of slithering out of office first and  waiting for a public inquiry to request those communications. 

Just now, virginton said:

I very much doubt that the FM is working with a complete banger of a phone that can't handle the relatively small amount of storage WhatsApp messages require. 

And of course, if she or anyone else had to delete messages for a technical reason, then they a) should have ceased conducting government business using that method immediately and b) should have disclosed whether any information was deleted at the earliest opportunity at that time - instead of slithering out of office first and  waiting for a public inquiry to request those communications. 

I mean she could have gone for the completely more innocent way and dropped it accidentally on North sea.

I know backing up etc doesn't take much storage. Equally anything that shouldn't be discussed on WhatsApp isn't going to be backed up. I don't back up my WhatsApp messages but I'm not running a country in a pandemic.

I'm making a shambles of an argument here.

The deleted messages from officials will be the same sort of content we saw down south - those in charge of mandating nonsensical restrictions on normal peoples' lives laughing at them while doing do.

Their decisions would be exposed as being based on narrative management, political point-scoring and psychological manipulation rather than public health.

I wont hold my breath but really hope this gathers steam and these arseholes are held accountable.

I heard from someone pretty reliable in the summer that Leitch had been sending 🍆 so nae wonder he was getting that deleted :lol:  

Would be a very funny part of an inquiry though

That big job she's always wanted at the UN/EU/WHO/ looking less likely for The Sturg now. For someone who built up such an incredible, individual amount of goodwill and support, she's absolutely fucked it into the sun.

Hopefully both her and Leitch get absolutely raked over the coals for this.

4 minutes ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

That big job she's always wanted at the UN/EU/WHO/ looking less likely for The Sturg now. For someone who built up such an incredible, individual amount of goodwill and support, she's absolutely fucked it into the sun.

Hilarious that it’s all because of deleted WhatsApp messages too. A tinpot end to the career of a tinpot politician. 

1 minute ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Nah she will be fine for a gig at the UN, or the EU, she is utterly incompetent & hates Britain, that is pretty much the entry requirements. If she can quickly become an alcoholic, then she can take Junckers old job & expense account whenever Muttis useless, spineless appointee finally gets booted.

19 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Nah she will be fine for a gig at the UN, or the EU, she is utterly incompetent & hates Britain, that is pretty much the entry requirements. 

There's hope for me yet then.

Davos here I come,

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I heard from someone pretty reliable in the summer that Leitch had been sending 🍆 so nae wonder he was getting that deleted :lol:  

Would be a very funny part of an inquiry though

5 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Someone will have taken a few screenshots of some of these messages I reckon, just need to give it time. 

Hopefully we're spared these ones.