Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The short answer is that you can't. They must be aware of their chances of dying from covid-19 and are not interested in looking after themselves in that regard.

But that's not an argument for keeping everyone else at home.

I'm not sure awareness is playing a part. Well tbf it's a lack of awareness sure. Anecdotal here but most older folk in Dundee are typically set in their ways and are extremely dismissive of what's going on. In the week or two leading up to lockdown the older folk coming in my shop were absolutely blasé about the situation and took some persuading to take heed of how serious it could get. 

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The first sentence of that post is the very reason young people should be voting.

Sadly the statistics don’t lie.

To paraphrase Orwell “If we have any hope it lies with the young”.

Can you show me the statistics where it states that the younger generation are not voting as much as the older? Genuinely interested in the difference.

59 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

You can see quite clearly those under 45 are at extremely low risk.

It makes no sense to continue to keep these people in their homes etc for the forseeable. You can put things in place to protect the vulnerable, without applying them to absolutely everyone and shutting the country down.

I do wish that 45-64 was split into two different brackets, much like age ranges above it.

The UK government much prefers to perpetuate the 'we're all in it together' wartime nostalgia myth rather than taking a logical and targeted approach, because the latter would of course piss off the self-entitled old boomers that keep it in power. The collateral damage from this  non-decision is a catastrophically bad public health response as well as forcing the entire under 45s section of the population to pay through the nose for this economic disaster for decades.

17 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

My experience, albeit anecdotally in Dundee is that there’s plenty old doddery c***s out and about with very little social distancing. How do you stop that?

Another problem that a truncheon to the face would easily solve.

10 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Can you show me the statistics where it states that the younger generation are not voting as much as the older? Genuinely interested in the difference.

Yeah I could look them up for you or you could look them up yourself.  I’d suggest any election/referendum in the last 10 years; there’s always post-voting online analysis.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Yeah I could look them up for you or you could look them up yourself.  I’d suggest any election/referendum in the last 10 years; there’s always post-voting online analysis.

The reason I asked you as because you were mentioning the stats. I just assumed you had them to hand.

I hate that young people don’t vote too. There are obviously more significant factors at play than how the different age groups behave on one Thursday very five years.

18-24 and 25-34 year olds outright own homes at a rate of 3 and 4%. 65-75 and 75+ are at 73 and 70%. There is also insecure employment, higher rents than ever before and a million other issues that will lead to younger people needing to get back to work.

Most of these are problems caused by boomers taking every advantage given to them and ripping them up for the next generations. Which is why Granny is right that we should vote more. It’s still very easy to sit in a paid off ex-council house, having retired earlier than we could ever hope to, slagging off people who can’t afford to sit this one out indefinitely.

Just now, mathematics said:

The reason I asked you as because you were mentioning the stats. I just assumed you had them to hand.

No not to hand, but I’m aware of them as I am interested in the stats after every major vote.  FWIW younger people voting less than older ones is not a new phenomenon but it’s still a disappointing one.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

This is a football forum not a literary contest.

Of course it's not a contest.  Who's competing?

It is however, an arena in which we communicate with each other by writing.   Is it too much to ask that people take sufficient care with that to ensure that meaning is immediately clear?

I hate this stuff about "it's a football forum" as if it makes a difference.  It's that kind of thought that means it's somehow acceptable to subject us to media figures like Pat Bonner.  

4 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Thanks @welshbairn. Got the same for Scotland only? The 90’s seem to have a lot to answer for; interesting that there is such a drop.

We’ve seen a lot more youngsters (in Scotland) get involved in politics since 2012. Hopefully that trend continues .

Some stuff here.

https://eacea.ec.europa.eu/national-policies/en/content/youthwiki/52-youth-participation-representative-democracy-united-kingdom-scotland

5 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

I hate that young people don’t vote too. There are obviously more significant factors at play than how the different age groups behave on one Thursday very five years.

18-24 and 25-34 year olds outright own homes at a rate of 3 and 4%. 65-75 and 75+ are at 73 and 70%. There is also insecure employment, higher rents than ever before and a million other issues that will lead to younger people needing to get back to work.

Most of these are problems caused by boomers taking every advantage given to them and ripping them up for the next generations. Which is why Granny is right that we should vote more. It’s still very easy to sit in a paid off ex-council house, having retired earlier than we could ever hope to, slagging off people who can’t afford to sit this one out indefinitely.

When the boomers (old folk) die the millennials (offspring/young folk) get the goodies/houses/money.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It is however, an arena in which we communicate with each other by writing.

Shocking punctuation right there. An arena called "however", you say?

Edited by welshbairn

Honestly political strategists on the left will be wondering how they could harness even a fraction of the suicidal energy that led all the old boomers to go out and kill themselves in the last days of the Democratic Primaries for years to come.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

How so?

I have clarified my post. You should either have no commas or another one before "however". The lesson is free.

Edited by welshbairn