Coronavirus (COVID-19)

39 minutes ago, Aufc said:

During the lockdown, ive started doing more running. Been enjoying doing 5km at a time and trying to get my time down. One of my mates started following me on strava and then suddenly i have been nominated to run a 5k via social media (sent to my wife as i dont have social media). I have to run a 5k, donate to the NHS and then nominate 5 other people to do the same.

What is this pish? I just want to run on my own

Similar situation here.

Except I was nominated to do the three drink challenge. 

Football clubs, businesses etc are replaceable entities, people aren't.

I think that's throwing the baby out with the bath water.

As has been mentioned, we all die. And one important factor here is that a long term lockdown is preventing people from living fulfilling lives - and for some their time is very precious.

I have a shielding letter but I'm refusing to follow it (it points out that this is my free choice on the letter). I'm following the lockdown and being careful, but I'm not willing to shut myself down entirely for 12 weeks (which will almost certainly be extended) for this virus. I took this decision in full discussion with my wife, who fully supports it. One curious thing is that i got the letter last week and it said the 12 weeks were to begin from the date on the letter, completely ignoring the 5 weeks I'd already spent on lockdown. That's pretty shit.

There will be many people with terminal illnesses and an extended lockdown is literally robbing them of life. And then there's a lot of old folk who are perfectly willing to take the risk because they realise how precious their time is.

A short term lockdown was absolutely necessary, and probably should've been done earlier. But this can't be extended until next year, until a vaccine or effective treatment is found. It's too high a price to pay.

We need to get as prepared as we can, work out what is manageable in terms of reducing risk, and try to create a new normal which prevents our health service from being overwhelmed.

Being over 17,000 islands certainly helps reduce the spread, especially when the ferry services were stopped a while back. The Chinese tourists would mostly be concentrated on Bali and Lombok.

However, the lack of a truly functioning healthcare system is much more to do with the low numbers in Indonesia, the inability to test, to collect data and corruption are more key factors to the low numbers.

The stats for Indonesias healthcare system are frightening and can put a lot of our gripes into perspective and this is after heavy investment.

There are circa 2800 hospitals in Indonesia (17K islands), only 20 to international standard (most of these in Jakarta and Bali). They have just over 300,000 beds (population circa: 270m). 0.2 Physicians to 1000 people and 1.2 nurses and midwifes.

Hospitals in the provinces are grim places, usually open buildings with a handful of beds and a best an (singular) oxygen tank. Everything you need to provide for yourself.

Getting sick in Indonesia isn’t a good idea.

They will have huge numbers of infections and deaths that will never come to light.

Although, as said the number of islands also helps in their defence.

That still doesn't explain why a survey of Bali crematoria showed no increase in death. Bali should have been riddled with the virus with five weekly flights from Wuhan until February.

16 hours ago, oaksoft said:

That might well be the sentiment at your work but it's not a view shared across society.

Most people have jobs they enjoy and will be very keen to get back to their offices.

E83EA5B7-BCB7-4DF9-A5BD-071578197FAD.png.4afcc58ab2ee0c2c82d49c3e6d3d4a13.png.ed772ce43d75a0f2fa16235088b01911.png

26 minutes ago, Snafu said:

How many of us would willingly die for our football club?

This is a ridiculous question.

For the vast majority on here, catching Covid-19 would not be a death sentence.

For any 1 individual of working age, the chances of catching it in the first place is fairly low atm (around 270 cases per day and falling, from a population of 5.5m).

Early figures indicated around 20% of symptomatic cases required hospitalistation. If we assume all 270 of those were symptomatic, that means 54 people going to hospital.

Early figures again indicated that, of those hospitalised, 20% would require intensive care. In this example that's 11.

Once in intensive care, your chances are around 50/50. So 6 would die.

The chances of any 1 person contracting and subsequently dying of Covid-19 in Scotland at the moment are incredibly small. Wanting football matches to return to prevent your club going to the wall is a million miles away from saying "i'm willing to die for my club."

I understand there is a risk of passing the virus on to others who are perhaps more vulnerable to serious infection, but that wasn't your point.

29 minutes ago, Snafu said:

How many of us would willingly die for our football club?

Very few and probably none but that wasn't the point. The human race is very good, some would say too good at replacing itself. 

This pandemic is a minor blip in our population growth. If we extend the lockdown  for too long the resulting deaths from other causes could be far worse. How many undiagnosed cancer or heart disease cases will there be? How many suicides? 

2 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Very few and probably none but that wasn't the point. The human race is very good, some would say too good at replacing itself. 

This pandemic is a minor blip in our population growth. If we extend the lockdown  for too long the resulting deaths from other causes could be far worse. How many undiagnosed cancer or heart disease cases will there be? How many suicides? 

We're not even in a proper lockdown. We've been strongly advised to stay inside but can more or less go out whenever we like and do whatever we like. People aren't being forced to stay in their houses therefore risking their suicide etc. France, Spain had proper lockdown. I'm 12 weeks shielding and have been up to my dad's a number of times for with shopping, to sit 3m away from him out the back to stop him from going crazy (all he does is watch sport and my mum died in August so he needs the company). Anyway, at no point has anyone, official or otherwise, intimated that I must stay in my house. From what I can tell, most businesses down the street are open. We are being advised to stay in the house. It's a minor inconvenience. 

4 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Cancer doctors already concerned about the reduction in/elimination of testing.

Proper pandemic planning would allow such needs to be addressed.

52 minutes ago, renton said:

Have to agree here. The Scottish government has been reactionary rather than proactive at every point, and it's been majorly disappointing to see. Part of it is that Scot Gov receives the same professional advice from the same pool of civil service advisors, the other part of it is that Sturgeon is a naturally  careful politician who really lacks a bit of imagination and who is very much a centralising influence in her government in terms of decision making.

It feels very much like no one at any point in this whole debacle has tried to get in front of this thing, to focus on building up test capacity. 

Is it not better that decisions are taken in Scotland (for good or for ill) than the decisions taken in another country?

8 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I take it we are all happy to sign up to a track and trace app on our phones in order to get the lockdown lifted?

BuT tHeY aLrEaDy TrAcK aNd TrAcE uS tHrOuGh AlL tHe CcTv! 1!

10 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I take it we are all happy to sign up to a track and trace app on our phones in order to get the lockdown lifted?

Being as I already allow Google incredible access to my life that is passed around willy nilly, it would be churlish not to.