Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Food places shut down of their own accord they were never told to.

Lots more traffic and footfall around here in the last week or so. I think a lot of people will follow the advice from BJ rather than Sturgeon. Not saying that’s right, but it’s what I imagine happening.  More shops are opening up as well. Two chip shops that have been closed for weeks are opening this weekend. 

30 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
31 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:
Its perfectly ok to deliver or pick up essential stuff from family members as long as you are doing it as part of daily one off trip.

Supermarket, pick up food, drop off at parents and speak outdoors for five mins.

When did the daily one-off trip rule come into force?

Only in some folks head.

My trip to get shopping is definitely not my once daily exercise that's for sure.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Food places shut down of their own accord they were never told to.

I know, it just seems that they’re past the “fear” stage if they’re willing to open back up to serve the unclean (that’s what shopping these days feels like)

24 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

There'll be a Tory Assembly next year so I doubt they care.

Tory assembly where? Outside the Welsh Parliament? Yeah I doubt anyone will care about that, least of all the Welsh. 

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I was reading an article on the furlough scheme there. Not to turn this post political but do you think if we had became independent that we’d have been able to do this scheme and give small business grants etc? 

Well as we'd have had more cash, by keeping all revenue generated in the country, then seems pretty straightforward. Bigger question is would the rUK have been able to? 

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Visiting his sister and his parents.

I don't know anyone who hasn't been to see family.

I know a few people who haven’t seen family, and also a few people who have blatantly went to see them. When out walking I see so many young teenage couples who clearly don’t live together, also lots of young lads on bikes with their pals. There was always going to be chancers and people who found loopholes in the “rules”

Hopefully an UBI would have been in place.

I was reading an article on the furlough scheme there. Not to turn this post political but do you think if we had became independent that we’d have been able to do this scheme and give small business grants etc? 

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Yes I think so.

More importantly, there’s a possibility that we would have run our own version of Operation Cygnus.  Not only run it but actually acted on the findings that it produced.  Wouldn’t that have been good eh?

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

If we were following the Growth Commision plan then definitely not. 

50 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yes I think so.

More importantly, there’s a possibility that we would have run our own version of Operation Cygnus.  Not only run it but actually acted on the findings that it produced.  Wouldn’t that have been good eh?

It would be impossible for the Scottish Government to use Sterling as they plan to do and pay the wages of people on furlough. 

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

How many people do you know? 4?

Not everyone is a popular as you are Marshy. 

5 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Looks like Susan Boyle with the hat on.

Thought that too. Trying to figure out why she had a Lewis gun.

24 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It would be impossible for the Scottish Government to use Sterling as they plan to do and pay the wages of people on furlough. 

You saying Scotland couldn't use Sterling at all  ever as independent nation or just that they couldn't pay the furlough salaries if Sterling was the currency?

Busy few weeks.
Sales up, more customers, more arguments ( customers arguing with each other is great fun when standing outside)
Hopefully majority of us here understand what social distancing is as quite a fair few don't still.
Hope everyone is doing well :)

17 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

You saying Scotland couldn't use Sterling at all  ever as independent nation or just that they couldn't pay the furlough salaries if Sterling was the currency?

Westminster is paying furlough salaries using a mechanism called the Ways and Means account with the BoE which effectively enables them to  print as much GBP as they require (it is supposed to be short term only but that may change).

Indy Scotland wouldn't be able to do that and would need to borrow from the bond markets at high interest rates before paying out furlough beyond the GBP they were holding. 

Edit - if the Growth Commision plan was implemented.

Edited by Detournement