Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Turkmenbashi said:

I strongly suspect whenever reopening the border happens. There will almost certainly be testing at airports, with close to immediate results.

I absolutely agree. I was meaning further down the line

12 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Listening to Raab on the radio there. The PM will further explain what measures are to be taken in parliament today, a guidance document for employers will be published tomorrow, but they have somehow to implement these and be ready to open on Wednesday?

These people are fucking mental.

It's not unrealistic to assume large employers will have been working behind the scenes with the government to allow them to be ready to meet the guidance.

Not everyone will open straight away

I see the Commies have continued their surge of reported cases with another jaw dropping 11,656 today.

The mysterious mortality rate continues.

Today only 94 deaths.

Only 17 of those medical staff who complained about PPE and were shoved out of high rise blocks 😉

In theory yes, but give people an inch and they’ll take a mile in the UK.
I don't think that's necessarily true. Every society has their share of numpties.
I found it a wee bit scary, actually.
I'm in the "vulnerable" category (as is my wife), and my first reaction was 6c6fb310069905044e24548bb90460cf.jpg&key=5d571eabebb0bde110fb76c5f2927c3a072cde95e34e580d443824e647a3c007
Remember the odds are still massively in your favour. My dad is 81 and very vulnerable lung wise, and he got through it.

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I posed this question two or three days ago and got no takers.  If I’ve got it wrong I’d be happy to be corrected.

The r number is Scotland wide, it uses the figures of either new deaths or new infections (I’m not sure which) in relation to the population as a whole.  However if there are significantly more new infections/deaths in care homes doesn’t that skew the r number for the population as a whole?

It’s no different from saying that the rate of reproduction of the infection in, for example, Glasgow is different from that in Fort William.  It’s very likely that the r numbers for the two localities are different.

However, whilst it’s impractical to have a different policy for Glasgow and Fort William, it seems to me that it is possible to have a different policy for care homes and for the rest of the country.

What if the care homes are in Glasgow and Fort William?

10 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Maybe I’m missing the obvious, but if Boris has told folk they can go to work, what are those people with kids who should be in school, but currently aren’t, supposed to do with the kids? They can’t send them round to the grandparents, he never said anything about relaxing the rules that would allow that. Why not? Why is it OK for folk to simply head into work tomorrow, to mix with colleagues, but it isn’t OK to mix with your own relatives, even in small groups?

Is the obvious answer ‘Boris is a complete p***k and is overseeing a complete clusterfcuk of such epic proportions that not even the SPFL could match it for eye-watering levels of stupidity?

Steady on!

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah but my whole point is that whilst a tiny percentage live in care homes the number of new infections/deaths in care homes is a significant part of the overall infection/death rate.

I’m pretty sure that there was a day last week when more than 50% of those who died in Scotland were in care homes.  So that’s a 50% death rate from  about 1% of the population.  That must seriously skew the r number.

It's very nearly 50% of Covid-19 deaths in NI, too.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Those calculations, whilst not supporting my argument, look quite sound.

NZ seems to have handled this really well as has their PM (whose name I can’t recall).  She seems to have emerged from this with a great deal of credibility.

Someone posted they could have a problem unless they continue to quarantine arrivals, or something along those lines. (Maybe quaranteeing arrivals isn't a big deal.)

Re this quarantine business.

Did I see someone on this say that Raab had said this morning that it you were travelling from a country with less cases that UK you wouldn't need to be quanratined?

I'm due to go to Tunisia in late July, and they've had a successful lockdown (no new cases at all yesterday)

58 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Not sure if he was specifically referring to the U.K., but his point may stand.  Even with the hardest of lockdowns protecting those most susceptible would have been difficult.

I’m repeating myself here but eliminating the spread was never going to be possible.

I guess we'll need to wait till the dust settles to see if he's right. I'd probably rather try our best to stop it spreading like wildfire rather than chuck our hand in and shrug though. 

This article is basically saying we were wrong all along and herd immunity was the only real strategy we could / should have chosen 

A week or so ago, I was really hoping that the four parts of the UK would be announcing across-the-board small step relaxations. Of the sort that give you a ‘light at the end of the tunnel’ feeling. Maybe being able to meet family members, whatever. I certainly wasn’t expecting everything to return to normal overnight. The rhetoric coming out of Holyrood concerned me. I genuinely thought Sturgeon was intimating that no matter what rUK would do, Scotland would remain in lockdown. I was critical - I thought she might be doing it because she can.

I was wrong. She’s playing this well. Let BoJo make a rip roaring cnut of his address (which he did), then sit and watch what shitstorm he’s unleashed down there. Watch, observe, learn.... and plan a better, more cohesive, and less muddled route for Scotland. Her intent was never to have us stick to complete lockdown just because she can. She might not be 100% my cup of tea, but she’s not stupid.

Now it’s actually got interesting. The Boris Johnson Comedy Special was premiered last night, and Sturgeon can now watch it fall to pieces in front of her eyes, and make her moves accordingly.

Well played, and I am big enough and ugly enough to admit that.

Whilst not wanting to waste any sympathy on cuntface Johnson (better than ‘Boris’ isn’t it?) I do think trying to work out an exit strategy must be very difficult.

That said the U.K. government’s position is an unmitigated mess.  How is it possible to have a whole bunch of civil servants, public health experts and politicians work on a strategy and still end up with such an absolute shambles?

Just found out that a timber merchant we deal with has been open for three weeks.  Presumably to serve the building industry that’s in lockdown!

There are at least a couple of building sites in Dunfermline that appear to have people on site now. One has for a week or so, the other I noticed on my way home from work this morning.