Coronavirus (COVID-19)

31 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

You can't put words into his mouth and then claim that if he'd only added caveats. That's having your cake and eating it in argument terms.

He added loads of caveats, and didn't tell folk to rush back to work at any cost. He did explain that companies had to be creating safe environments.

There was detail there, and plenty of warnings.

There are a lot of easy shots and jumping on the bandwagon on here (and on social media). They're slowly starting to ease the lockdown and time will tell if they've fucked it up.

These things are extremely tricky, and details do get messy. There's no simple way to do this.

Now i know that Johnson and the tories are c***s of the highest order, and i know that the preparations were shit and austerity did lasting damage - but we are wet where are now. Finding a path out of this is going to be tricky and complicated.

I thought the English were back to work today. I now find it's Wednesday. I obviously didn't pay enough attention to the waffling twat.

13 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

How are folk not understanding this?

Rules before: you can go outside once a day for exercise while observing social distancing

Rules as of now: you now have unlimited exercise and as before must stick to social distancing.

That doesn’t mean you can go to the park and have a fucking picnic, sunbathe or loiter because

1) that’s not exercise and
2) it encourages lots of people to congregate in small areas

It’s not difficult to understand.

It appears to be for some folk.

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I found it a wee bit scary, actually.

It's worth remembering that it's not guaranteed that by being vulnerable you will get a bad dose.

By shielding as you have, whilst others have been out shopping etc, increases the chances the virus will pass through them and run out of viable hosts before it reaches you.

I understand your concern all the same and would suggest you take your own precautions in the few months after lockdown is lifted and return to activities you enjoy etc at a pace you are comfortable with

6 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

I thought the English were back to work today. I now find it's Wednesday. I obviously didn't pay enough attention to the waffling twat.

No you go back to work today by walking or cycling then go straight home then on Wednesday you drive to wherever the f**k you like  an overcrowded beach a packed out lakeside or a choc -a-block city park  wearing lycra for kid on exersise and a bit of a sunbake.

edit Obviously these rules apply In the whole UK which really means England as they are out of lockstep with every other nations and devolved governments in the UK

Oops just heard Rabb saying back to work Wednesday and Johnson said Monday, so everyone goes back Tuesday

Edited by dirty dingus

29 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Help the Nhs slogan seems to have gone aswell down south,does that mean the english are no longer happy clapping on a thursday?

"Protect the NHS" is part of Level 4 of the Covid Alert state system. As it was said the UK is ready to enter Level 3 I assume this means the NHS currently has enough capacity to cope

37 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yes, you’ve just done it!

Quite short and to the point. 

For those who can’t be arsed, two paragraphs:

It has become clear that a hard lockdown does not protect old and frail people living in care homes—a population the lockdown was designed to protect.  3 Neither does it decrease mortality from COVID-19, which is evident when comparing the UK's experience with that of other European countries.

These facts have led me to the following conclusions. Everyone will be exposed to severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, and most people will become infected. COVID-19 is spreading like wildfire in all countries, but we do not see it—it almost always spreads from younger people with no or weak symptoms to other people who will also have mild symptoms. This is the real pandemic, but it goes on beneath the surface, and is probably at its peak now in many European countries. There is very little we can do to prevent this spread: a lockdown might delay severe cases for a while, but once restrictions are eased, cases will reappear. I expect that when we count the number of deaths from COVID-19 in each country in 1 year from now, the figures will be similar, regardless of measures taken.

Is this referring to the UK when describing a "hard lockdown". 

We must have differing meanings for hard if so

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Is this referring to the UK when describing a "hard lockdown". 

We must have differing meanings for hard if so

Not sure if he was specifically referring to the U.K., but his point may stand.  Even with the hardest of lockdowns protecting those most susceptible would have been difficult.

I’m repeating myself here but eliminating the spread was never going to be possible.

If English folk are allowed to drive to their favourite beauty spot to go for a walk or picnic, what's to stop them heading to Scotland?
Would Wee Jimmy Krankie be allowed to overrule Boris the Great?

Officers at the border with 2 metre long batons to batter them with.

36 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

It kind of goes against places like nz and others with tiny numbers of cases though.

The real proof of that pudding will be when tourism restarts in these places.

By limiting exposure now and essentially snuffing the virus out, the majority of the population will remain unexposed to the virus.

All it may then take is an asymptomatic tourist to start a new wave of infections, which could spread at will amomgst a ripe population and go undetected for months before they are hit with what we have been hit with now.

I can't imagine testing and temperature screening will be the permanent fixture it would need to be to absolutely prevent that scenario.

The hardest hit countries now will likely have less to worry about in the mid to long term

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

If English folk are allowed to drive to their favourite beauty spot to go for a walk or picnic, what's to stop them heading to Scotland?

If they want to come here for a walk they should self isolate for 2 weeks after crossing the border IMO.

1 minute ago, mizfit said:

Officers at the border with 2 metre long batons to batter them with.

Just now, throbber said:

If they want to come here for a walk they should self isolate for 2 weeks after crossing the border IMO.

Border controls are a reserved matter, lads.

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

As you are not allowed to loiter in Scotland, they could be moved on or fined.

There's nothing really to stop someone driving to Scotland to go for a walk and, in truth, if they obeyed the rules here they would go undetected and likely cause no harm.

If it was me, though, and I had the choice of drive somewhere for a picnic where I will be left alone or drive someplace where I might get moved on and fined, I would have to be a bit daft to choose the latter.

Listening to Raab on the radio there. The PM will further explain what measures are to be taken in parliament today, a guidance document for employers will be published tomorrow, but they have somehow to implement these and be ready to open on Wednesday?

These people are fucking mental.

12 hours ago, Futureboy said:

Whit? A second wave of infection will inevitably result in deaths. 

FWIW, none of the assumptions I have followed are based on Spanish Flu.

You also proclaimed that there is a workplace "certification" to go back to work, which is untrue.

I think he meant not as many deaths as the first wave.

12 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The real proof of that pudding will be when tourism restarts in these places.

By limiting exposure now and essentially snuffing the virus out, the majority of the population will remain unexposed to the virus.

All it may then take is an asymptomatic tourist to start a new wave of infections, which could spread at will amomgst a ripe population and go undetected for months before they are hit with what we have been hit with now.

I can't imagine testing and temperature screening will be the permanent fixture it would need to be to absolutely prevent that scenario.

The hardest hit countries now will likely have less to worry about in the mid to long term

I strongly suspect whenever reopening the border happens. There will almost certainly be testing at airports, with close to immediate results.