Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just had a visit from the youngest granddaughter - 6 weeks old. They all (mother, baby and two of her sisters) stayed in the front garden while we stood on the doorstep. Jacksgranny absolutely delighted. Quite pleased myself.

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig & grandma

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I noticed that, too. Can't remember that particular stamp.

They were issued to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the tv show, back in 2018.

A set of 8 stamps

Edited by Silverton End

36 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Traffic jams on the M25 and busy tube trains this morning. And then there's Raab saying it would be Wednesday before anyone goes back. Shambles. 

Also can't quite understand how anyone can be ready to go back to work again when they're told they can at 7pm the night before. How many of them turned up to find that work is still shut? 

Far too many people in London with an inflated sense of how important they and their job are.

3 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

They were issued to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the tv show, back in 2018.

A set of 8 stamps

Completely passed me by! :lol:

Looking at what Scotland, Wales and NI have chosen to do does seem the more practical way of doing things certainly.  Maintain the lockdown but allowing people to go out and exercise for a second time during the day will tentatively increase the potential contact with others but not go overboard.  As the numbers in hospital etc are on a downward trend then if there is any second spike it will be relatively low so hospitals should be able to cope.  I can see this being the norm for at least the next two weeks to see if the spike occurs.  If no spikes happen then I would suggest Sturgeon would then introduce the 'bubbles' for seeing family again and a small number of friends (probably within a home environment rather than outside in the street / parks etc) and again this would have to extend the lockdown further to assess any new spikes.  At the same time i suspect some businesses could open back up if social distancing can be adhered to and minimal interaction with members of the public unless PPE / screens etc could be used as well.

England seemed to have gone a bit gung-ho and will more than likely see a spike in the next week or two because of it.

I'd have thought meeting up outside would be safer? Indoors definitely more spreadable at the moment.

Are you saying that your dad cannae get it again?
There's clearly some level of immunity to this virus - and so I'm fucking delighted he's had it and got through the other end.

Only a fool would come on and say that there's no chance of getting it again but it's clearly unlikely.

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

You can't put words into his mouth and then claim that if he'd only added caveats. That's having your cake and eating it in argument terms.

He added loads of caveats, and didn't tell folk to rush back to work at any cost. He did explain that companies had to be creating safe environments.

There was detail there, and plenty of warnings.

There are a lot of easy shots and jumping on the bandwagon on here (and on social media). They're slowly starting to ease the lockdown and time will tell if they've fucked it up.

These things are extremely tricky, and details do get messy. There's no simple way to do this.

Now i know that Johnson and the tories are c***s of the highest order, and i know that the preparations were shit and austerity did lasting damage - but we are wet where are now. Finding a path out of this is going to be tricky and complicated.

Of course it is, which is why I and many others are bemoaning the sheer incompetence of the crew currently in charge of our country.

To suggest, as Johnson did last night, that it is suddenly OK to return to work (at less than a day's notice, in some cases) when the advice for the last few weeks has been to not step over your own doorstep is, frankly, ludicrous. One, or possibly both, of those stances is wildly wrong.

It is the obligation of employers to ensure that they provide a safe working environment. Once they have done that to the satisfaction of the employee or their representative, then they can "encourage" a return to work. To make a rambling, incoherent statement like that yesterday was fucking shameful for someone who sees himself fit to run a country.

9 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I'd have thought meeting up outside would be safer? Indoors definitely more spreadable at the moment.

I was meaning more that if family / friends gathered outside it could turn into a 'mass gathering' of sorts even if you're still in your own wee groups but if everyone did it the overall numbers that were 'together' would rise.  Sorry i wasn't too clear in my original post.

11 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

There's clearly some level of immunity to this virus - and so I'm fucking delighted he's had it and got through the other end.

Only a fool would come on and say that there's no chance of getting it again but it's clearly unlikely.

Why is it unlikely? If you get the flu virus you're only temporarily immune to it. 

Just now, MixuFixit said:

Calmac is still preventing holidaymakers from using ferries so I wish them the best of luck getting to Lewis by other means.

We know that but how newsworthy would that have been down South? So they don't know folk can't get there and they don't know Scotland is still under lockdown. Or they don't give a f**k and would rather fill column inches that be a little bit sensible.

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Traffic jams on the M25 and busy tube trains this morning. And then there's Raab saying it would be Wednesday before anyone goes back. Shambles. 

Also can't quite understand how anyone can be ready to go back to work again when they're told they can at 7pm the night before. How many of them turned up to find that work is still shut? 

Neither can I. How does that work? Boris appears on telly on Sunday night and tells them they can go back to work if they like. Place is mobbed. Must be a shit load of self-employed folk just champing at the bit, but still, are they just turning up in expectation?