Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Far too many people in London with an inflated sense of how important they and their job are.

Theres a couple up in Balmoral as well

3 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EXuI9goWAAIb57R?format=jpg&name=small

Get the cattle prods set to stun

or exterminate

39 minutes ago, throbber said:

I actually posted the link to this a few pages back this morning and nobody noticed.

I noticed (I think)

7 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

Really? 220,000 cases and 32,000 deaths? Please point out my error.

Almost everyone who'd died form it is included in the 32k. the majority of people who've contracted the virus, were almost certainly never tested.

7 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Doesn’t that equate to around 31,300 deaths, (219k cases divided by 7?) the current total being just over 31,800, are you saying it’s actually higher than 1 in 7, if the figures were being reported correctly?emoji15.png

1 in 6 = 36500
1 in 5 = 43800 etc..

That 219k figure is presumably just the ones who have been tested, the true figure is likely in the millions. 1 in 7 is more like for patients in ICU with it.

Edited by welshbairn

That 219k figure is presumably just the ones who have been tested, the true figure is likely in the millions. 1 in 7 is more like for patients in ICU with it.

Yep fair enough, my misread, it look a worrying stat![emoji15]

With all the effort going into a calculated variable (R0) you would think they might have some idea of the true infection rather at least how many orders of magnitude greater than # positive tests it is.

There was something from America a couple of weeks back saying it's like 80 times as many cases as we know about.

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Almost everyone who'd died form it is included in the 32k. the majority of people who've contracted the virus, were almost certainly never tested.

OK. I was using 'official' figures. There are probably many who have died from it who weren't recorded as such.

My original post was to point out the unlikelihood of catching it and dying, in the broad scheme of things.

Counting the ones who were never tested makes it even more unlikely.

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

With all the effort going into a calculated variable (R0) you would think they might have some idea of the true infection rather at least how many orders of magnitude greater than # positive tests it is.

There was something from America a couple of weeks back saying it's like 80 times as many cases as we know about.

Multiplying the deaths by 300/400 won't be a million miles away IMO. 

Just now, ayrmad said:

Multiplying the deaths by 300/400 won't be a million miles away IMO. 

Aye. To have a figure that they are willing to act or not act on in R0, someone must be having a stab at this. Would be interesting to know what they are working with in terms of actual infection rate. 

Suspect that if it's as high as we think, they wont release it as it would breed complacency. 

Before Calderwood committed career suicide, after the first 14 deaths in Scotland were recorded, they estimated that each death could represent up to 1000 infections.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-52006730/coronavirus-dr-catherine-calderwood-issues-warning-over-infection-rate&ved=2ahUKEwiloojN_6vpAhUTQ0EAHWtIA9MQFjAAegQIBhAC&usg=AOvVaw375fLFk0Y1S9hu2APMnUW-

What it all means is that the figures have a huge margin of error, and have no chance if being right until there is a proper testing programme for those with symptoms, or an accurate antibody test for everyone who thinks they may have been infected.

It’s almost as if the #Torycunts are deliberately trying to misinform people to shift the blame when the second wave comes. 

Can you imagine Brenda and Roy in Rochdale even trying to comprehend any of this shambles? Faced with the option of staying in or going out, I wonder which option which they would choose? 

Guest bernardblack

So know you can go to the park etc and meet one member of family you don’t live with? As long as you stay 2m apart?

Edit - that may be england only?

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

All this commuting on the M25is totally unnecessary.  All of these people could buy houses closer to there work or get a job closer to where they live.

Or they could just use public transport, which the rest of the country already subsidises to a massive degree to cater for the bloated metropolis of London (HS2; Crossrail; the Garden Bridge fiasco). People do not have a divine right to buy a house in some semi-rural, arse-end of Surrey and drive to their workplace in central London every day.

The genuinely idiotic element in yesterday's briefing was the government actually telling people that if they want to go to work then they'd best drive in themselves for a while.