Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 hours ago, Wee Willie said:

So you're a fair weather friend.

You have only two choices. Independence or in a one-sided union. So make your mind up.

It's a political party not a football team. They're supposed to work for your vote rather than you concede ground to justify supporting them.

52 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

What chance do you, or the SNP, have of converting NO voters, when you have a go at YES voters for not being quite yes enough for your liking, or pointing out that the SNP are coasting?

But you're no answering my question. We only have the two options independence or as part of a one-sided union. If you 're on the independence side then stop decrying the SG.

And I'm no decrying YES voters. It's you and a few others on here who do eff-all but moan and girn.

Bite the bullet and vote SNP until independence then ye can vote for the Scottish equivalent of the Tory, Labour or Lib-Dem parties if ye prefer.

44 minutes ago, Juanhourjoe said:

No. But if it was ideally the best option. She should have the duty to at least ask. And would face less criticism from the Scottish electorate, to be seen to try her best to protect people.

Where is she getting roasted by the Scottish electorate? Opinion polls suggest she has the backing of most of the electorate in Scotland. AND she has my vote.

3 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

It's a political party not a football team. They're supposed to work for your vote rather than you concede ground to justify supporting them.

And if you agree with their aims then you give them your vote.

Do you not agree that in Scotland we only have two political choices - either independence or part of a union of unequals.

I want Scotland to be independent. Apart from the SNP who do I give my vote to?

9 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

And if you agree with their aims then you give them your vote.

Do you not agree that in Scotland we only have two political choices - either independence or part of a union of unequals.

I want Scotland to be independent. Apart from the SNP who do I give my vote to?

I'm not even asking you to vote for someone else although you could see who your Green candidates are and throw one of your two votes that way. While the SNP know they can command a near majority of votes every election they've got no reason to self-reflect on what they do in government. Even kidding on that you might vote elsewhere, stay at home or cancel your subs might do more than just blindly supporting them til an uncertain future date where they finally secure independence.

Remember that the manner in which independence is won, and the politics of the party that secure it, dictates how an independent Scotland is shaped. Allowing the SNP to f**k over renters for example without repercussion doesn't bode well for strong tenant's rights in a future independent state.

8 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

If only that’s how politics worked eh?

Well this is the way it is while you have both governing parties north and south of the border able to automatically command 40+% of the vote.

55 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

But you're no answering my question. We only have the two options independence or as part of a one-sided union. If you 're on the independence side then stop decrying the SG.

You're question is impossible to answer. I'm not going to sit and concoct a hypothetical scenario just for you to tell me i'm wrong.

Atm it's not the case, but if the political landcape was to significantly shift in such a way that meant Scotland had equal influence in the UK, and it was beneficial to be in it, then it is something that would need consideration. I don't see the harm in that.

I won't stop criticising the SG if I feel it is warranted, sorry.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Anyhoo.....

Scotland has an extra 26 new cases and 2 deaths added in the last 24 hours.

Single digit death figures look to be a continuing feature and new cases will hover at about 20 for the foreseeable I’d imagine

1 hour ago, virginton said:

We don't need more government spending to keep people in the house and businesses in situ long after the purpose of the lockdown has been achieved though. Next to none of this extra borrowing is actually going to important tasks like shoring up the social care sector, nor will it deal with a collapse in employment during the autumn exacerbated by the ongoing restrictions. It'll simply give opposition parties in Westminster and the devolved governments far less scope to make progressive arguments for change once the 'credit card has been maxed out' again. We've literally just seen this trick play out over the past decade.

I agree. The fiscal stabilisers were needed for the emergency and now productive investment for growth is needec. 

Leitch now seeming to contradict NS today on schools, highly unlikely to return without restrictions in August. Wish they would set the target and stick to 1 script. SG have issued new guidance for the hospitality sector reopening on 15 July including a guide for customers detailing what to expect in pubs and restaurants. Couldn't be fucked reading it far to nice a day to interrupt Royal Ascot out the back garden.

4 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Single digit death figures look to be a continuing feature and new cases will hover at about 20 for the foreseeable I’d imagine

RE: new cases. With new data being used  from the start of this week it is unfortunately impossible to know if we are seeing a reduction over the last few weeks or not. 

Won't really be able to judge that until next week.

Leitch now seeming to contradict NS today on schools, highly unlikely to return without restrictions in August. Wish they would set the target and stick to 1 script. SG have issued new guidance for the hospitality sector reopening on 15 July including a guide for customers detailing what to expect in pubs and restaurants. Couldn't be fucked reading it far to nice a day to interrupt Royal Ascot out the back garden.
Leitch won't make the decisions though - it will be a political decision at the end of the day.

I still think that we will end up being full-time at school a lot sooner than they were planning for - if not August then by the start of September.

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Leitch won't make the decisions though - it will be a political decision at the end of the day.

I still think that we will end up being full-time at school a lot sooner than they were planning for - if not August then by the start of September.

He should stick to dentistry.

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I'm not even asking you to vote for someone else although you could see who your Green candidates are and throw one of your two votes that way. While the SNP know they can command a near majority of votes every election they've got no reason to self-reflect on what they do in government. Even kidding on that you might vote elsewhere, stay at home or cancel your subs might do more than just blindly supporting them til an uncertain future date where they finally secure independence.

Remember that the manner in which independence is won, and the politics of the party that secure it, dictates how an independent Scotland is shaped. Allowing the SNP to f**k over renters for example without repercussion doesn't bode well for strong tenant's rights in a future independent state.

Well this is the way it is while you have both governing parties north and south of the border able to automatically command 40+% of the vote.

Surely that's only until the first general election when things can change.

I'm looking forward to the manifestos of the new Scottish Tory, Labour and Lib-Dem parties after independence.

Do ye think they'll mention Trident?

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

You're question is impossible to answer. I'm not going to sit and concoct a hypothetical scenario just for you to tell me i'm wrong.

Atm it's not the case, but if the political landcape was to significantly shift in such a way that meant Scotland had equal influence in the UK, and it was beneficial to be in it, then it is something that would need consideration. I don't see the harm in that.

I won't stop criticising the SG if I feel it is warranted, sorry.

I'll hae a pint of whatever you're drinking!

Having approx 8% of the UK population I would never expect Scotland to be an equal partner in the UK.

That is why I want independence.

Something I find interesting is the difference in public opinion between England and Scotland. People here seem to be asking for things to move quicker, while those in England seem to be more in favour of moving more slowly. Is that just to do with the figures being a fair bit lower here compared to down south? 

My highly scientific measure of public opinion is from reading here, various fb groups, twitter, and a handful of other sites that I read. 

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

Something I find interesting is the difference in public opinion between England and Scotland. People here seem to be asking for things to move quicker, while those in England seem to be more in favour of moving more slowly. Is that just to do with the figures being a fair bit lower here compared to down south? 

My highly scientific measure of public opinion is from reading here, various fb groups, twitter, and a handful of other sites that I read. 

Wouldn't be surprised if a big part of people opposing the government, just because they hate Boris/Wee Nippy