Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Something I find interesting is the difference in public opinion between England and Scotland. People here seem to be asking for things to move quicker, while those in England seem to be more in favour of moving more slowly. Is that just to do with the figures being a fair bit lower here compared to down south? 
My highly scientific measure of public opinion is from reading here, various fb groups, twitter, and a handful of other sites that I read. 

It’s definitely changed I think.
In May there was a feeling of wanting to take it slower up here and let England move fast.

9 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Wouldn't be surprised if a big part of people opposing the government, just because they hate Boris/Wee Nippy

Dunno this is quite a heavily snp leaning website 

Got a letter through the door from the local pub (I've never ventured - it's apparently a bit of a dive) stating that they thought they'd be able to re-open but since they haven't they are selling their food as a takeaway option as well as 'draught lager'. Tempted.

3 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The SNP are far from perfect - but they are the only realistic route to independence - the Malthusian fruit loops of the Greens and the transphobes Wings aren't going to deliver independence.

:lol: This again. You've been banging this drum for years without ever presenting a Malthusian policy.

29 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Dunno this is quite a heavily snp leaning website 

Very well made point. Does kind of damage my theory

4 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

a BBC lifted comparison reference right there.....

Apologies. Had a mate texting me this afternoon to complain about the lockdown using that exact term to describe her. It felt accurate. Should maybe have said that c**t Johnson

10 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Quite interesting how people’s views have changed politically based on the handling of an unforeseen unprecedented pandemic.

Crazy that people have opinions on something so major which has impacted every aspect of their lives

What are your views on EU membership?

Can't talk for Wee Wullie but it was the final nudge towards supporting independence for me.

I've always been pretty much a pro-European federalist - I spoiled my paper in 2014 - something I regret.

The SNP have been the only consistent party on EU membership - and independence within the EU is as about as closs to federalism as we'll get.

I didn't expect the Tories to react any d differently after the EU result - the real disappointment for me was Labour's sitting on the fence attitude. The Lib Dems were never going to be a choice given their selling out over austerity. In any case, I was politically (independence aside) closer to the SNP's social democracy, even before this point, it did not take much of a shift to support them.

17 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Quite interesting how people’s views have changed politically based on the handling of an unforeseen unprecedented pandemic.

A pandemic that has been managed considerably better by numerous other leaders around the globe.

That's the crux of the matter, it's called effective governance.

It was an opportunity for the SNP to show how they can manage major decisons, they haven't done very well hence the reasons they are being questioned.

But you're an educated man, you know that already.

Edited by Tynierose

A pandemic that has been managed considerably better by numerous other leaders around the globe.
That's the crux of the matter, it's called effective governance.
It was an opportunity for the SNP to show how they can manage major decisons, they haven't done very well hence the reasons they are being questioned.
But you're an educated man, you know that already.
Seems like snp fans have deflected all the blame onto England and also stated that scotland couldn't survive in a crisis because england needs to bail them out.
Pretty sure we could have stopped mass gatherings, stopped the care home fiasco and stockpiled some PPE without someone else.

Update from the daughter's school yesterday. When they go back in August S1 to S3 will start at 8.50 am, have 2 x 75 minute periods, and go home at 11.20 am. Only positive is that they will be in all 5 days. Can't see them having any practical classes at all.

S4-S6 will be in for 2 x 85 min periods in the afternoons.

23 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Crazy that people have opinions on something so major which has impacted every aspect of their lives

I know you're being glib, but for eg a glance about twitter shows a lot of the rabid snp no matter what supporters are still very much behind everything the snp do, and piling on anyone that has a different opinion.

I have been away from here for a couple of years, but I'd have expected more of that type of snp supporter to be on here. It's good it's not like that, but I've found it surprising.