Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Paco said:

The islands as a whole should really have been allowed to set their own policies for weeks now. It didn’t even need to be something for the Scottish Government to worry about, ask the local councils what they want to happen and then announce it. Make it clear if there’s any new cases then you come back into line with the national picture.
Some islands have never even had a case and as far as I’m aware, you still need to prove you live there or have an essential reason to travel in order to get on ferries or planes.

If done a few weeks ago it’d even have been a nice GIRUY for the Scottish Government to the likes of Jackson Carlaw who just couldn’t believe we’d dare to differ from Westminster.

Realistically on Mull for example, which has never had a case, it’s unsafe to sit in a beer garden or cafe on July 1st, but presumably will be perfectly safe to welcome tourists from the worst-hit country in Europe, with zero checks, no information on where they’re staying and no idea who they are on July 15th. Makes sense, right?

Yeah but what if someone from Perth wants to drive to Dundee!!!

Ah, yes. Thousands of people only congregated in Kelvingrove as they feared repercussion of going by the 5 mile from home part of the lockdown. 
Troon and Prestwick were similar yesterday, mobbed but without the "takeaway pint" option as consumption of alcohol in public spaces has been banned by the draconian SAC for years and the police have always taken great delight in enforcing that particular bye law.

10 minutes ago, 101 said:

The economy will recover, hopefully what replaces the old one is far more diverse and it's easier to get the economy back on track than bring folk back to life, likewise with finding a job.

Yes, but permanent damage will be done to many individuals's finances and livelihoods. Which will have a knock-on effect on health outcomes. My point is, lots of different people are looking out for what they perceive as what's in their interests and aren't as bothered about how it effects others. This isn't something unique to the young so let's not pretend otherwise.

Why does one region of Scotland need to have the same restrictions as another region of Scotland if the conditions could be wildly different?
Probably because if people see area X being able to do something they can't in area Y, those people will simply travel to area X to be able to do that and no amount of 5 mile advisory messaging will stop people as we have seen this week. Areas with low or no infections may well be mostly that way because of measures but I can't see the citizens of those areas being happy about people travelling from more infected areas to take advantage of their more relaxed lifestyle thus bringing the associated risks with them.
I have said on here a number of times we need scientific evidence as to why the infections are reducing. Is it down to the measures or is the virus becoming less virulent. Surely this is the key question.

7 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Yes, but permanent damage will be done to many individuals's finances and livelihoods. Which will have a knock-on effect on health outcomes. My point is, lots of different people are looking out for what they perceive as what's in their interests and aren't as bothered about how it effects others. This isn't something unique to the young so let's not pretend otherwise.

Exactly. 

Pensioners, for example, receive their money every month without question. The economy being wrecked means pretty much nothing to them - they will be fine in that regard. It's those in work (whatever the stages of their career) that will suffer from this, in some cases with horrendous pressures on their finances, potentially as you say causing permanent ruin. Pensioners meanwhile might (and only might) lose the pensions triple lock for a year or two. Hardly going to wreck their lives. 

They are at greater danger in terms of their health, right enough, bit it's also much easier to keep them indoors than it is the young and working population. By this stage you can also argue that everyone knows the risks and should take precautions. 

3 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

That you wanting folk to get in their cars and muck up everyone's nice clean air again? You're blowing hot and cold on this issue.

Well no, because this isn't a glorified third world country like the US and so we have excellent public transport links to just about everywhere. Which the government so far been massively subsidising to run on a reduced service with no greater capacity. The correct solution at this stage is now to have them run at full frequency with compulsory mask use and prebooking seats where necessary to regulate that space. People should have the ability to travel with confidence rather than being told to just stay in their five mile box or otherwise the poor nurses get it. That is no longer a sustainable message to give to the population in the middle of June.

2 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

That would be completely unmanageable and lead to chaos. "busy public places" - how would you define where these are in advance of someone filling up their tank and driving 200 miles.....what if it became busy just before you arrived?  Would you havea system where the police turned cars back?  Nah, that would be far from "logical"

As much as I don't advocate car use, the principal advantage of it is that if your planned destination is busy then you can, err, go somewhere else nearby that isn't. You aren't actually obliged to just turn round and go straight back home, so that's a ridiculous straw man argument in place of exercising some basic common sense.

Scotland is a country of vast empty space and highly condensed urban populations. You really can't complain then when the limited public space of Glasgow and Edinburgh get swamped with people on a nice day while you're also demanding at the exact same time that literally none of them travel further afield. If people were able to more freely travel in a regulated environment then the demand to use any single public space would be reduced, this is very straightforward stuff tbh.

As much as I don't advocate car use, the principal advantage of it is that if your planned destination is busy then you can, err, go somewhere else nearby that isn't. You aren't actually obliged to just turn round and go straight back home, so that's a ridiculous straw man argument in place of exercising some basic common sense.

Scotland is a country of vast empty space and highly condensed urban populations. You really can't complain then when the limited public space of Glasgow and Edinburgh get swamped with people on a nice day while you're also demanding at the exact same time that literally none of them travel further afield. If people were able to more freely travel in a regulated environment then the demand to use any single public space would be reduced, this is very straightforward stuff tbh.

But despite all the vast open space, wouldnt you agree that people are likely to concentrate in just a few spaces where facilities exist. The fife coast has loads of quiet beach for example, but people still pile into the likes of Silver Sands because it has parking, toilets, ice creams and bouncy castles. Whilst some of those may not be open, it's still the bit folk know. It's not realistic to expect folk to go and drag their crabbit awkward kids somewhere closely thats going to be quiet precisely because it lacks the facilities they need/want.

I think you have to acknowledge the need for convenience and also the general lack of knowledge about where you could go should your chosen destination be busy. A much more likely scenario is that folk wait it out till that one parking space they need comes up, and crack on.

24 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
3 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:
Ah, yes. Thousands of people only congregated in Kelvingrove as they feared repercussion of going by the 5 mile from home part of the lockdown. 

Troon and Prestwick were similar yesterday, mobbed but without the "takeaway pint" option as consumption of alcohol in public spaces has been banned by the draconian SAC for years and the police have always taken great delight in enforcing that particular bye law.

The same bylaws are in place in Glasgow which makes me wonder why takeaway pints to the park is suddenly a thing. We should be binning that law but between this mere nod and wink arrangement and failing to reopen amenities like public toilets at the same time, outdoor space has become a free for all mess. Until there is a joined up strategy at government level then you're going to see crowding and unhygienic behaviour. 

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

But despite all the vast open space, wouldnt you agree that people are likely to concentrate in just a few spaces where facilities exist. The fife coast has loads of quiet beach for example, but people still pile into the likes of Silver Sands because it has parking, toilets, ice creams and bouncy castles. Whilst some of those may not be open, it's still the bit folk know. It's not realistic to expect folk to go and drag their crabbit awkward kids somewhere closely thats going to be quiet precisely because it lacks the facilities they need/want.

I think you have to acknowledge the need for convenience and also the general pack of knowledge about where you could go should your chosen destination be busy. A much more likely scenario is that folk wait it out till that one parking space they need comes up, and crack on.

I disagree about that right now because the government has been beating people over the head with its social distancing message for fully three months. With the exception of a small minority who want to get a rave going again, I believe that most people aren't actively seeking out a crowded space right now. But when you tell them that they can only meet their close family and friends outdoors and that they shouldn't travel more than five miles distance generally then a lot more people will converge to the same areas than they would with greater freedom of movement.

I disagree about that right now because the government has been beating people over the head with its social distancing message for fully three months. With the exception of a small minority who want to get a rave going again, I believe that most people aren't actively seeking out a crowded space right now. But when you tell them that they can only meet their close family and friends outdoors and that they shouldn't travel more than five miles distance generally then a lot more people will converge to the same areas than they would with greater freedom of movement.

Maybe. In periods of shit weather its pretty irrelevant anyway, but in periods of hot weather it's always going to be a shit load of people and a few select spots that get it regardless of how far you allow folk to travel. All suitable outdoor spaces are going to be busier than they maybe should be in the context of 2 metre distancing with or without a 5 mile radius.

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Maybe. In periods of shit weather its pretty irrelevant anyway, but in periods of hot weather it's always going to be a shit load of people and a few select spots that get it regardless of how far you allow folk to travel. All suitable outdoor spaces are going to be busier than they maybe should be in the context of 2 metre distancing with or without a 5 mile radius.

But they will be less busy when the same number of people are dispersed across a greater number of spaces and over a larger radius though. The wider that allowable travel radius, the more dispersed that they can be. The onus is on the government to have a joined-up set of policies that both gives people scope to both enjoy their free time for the first time in fucking months as well as the ability to exercise some common sense into the bargain.

Edited by vikingTON

But they will be less busy when the same number of people are dispersed across a greater number of spaces and over a larger radius though. The wider that allowable travel radius, the more dispersed that they can be. The onus is on the government to have a joined-up set of policies that both gives people scope to both enjoy their free time for the first time in fucking months as well as the ability to exercise some common sense into the bargain.
Toilet usage seems to me to be the hurdle that joined up thinking was unable to clear.

1 hour ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

It would cause a lower level of compliance across the country.

'If it's ok for *insert council name* that's 5 minutes away, it's good enough for me'

I do think the islands are a different case though.

Regional lockdowns, or at least regional 'measures' will be a part of dealing with this virus in the long term, just as they are in other countries. It is never going to go away totally, so we may end up with small, probably seasonal, flare ups. Ideally a track and trace system that works would avoid this, but if we ended up with an outbreak in say Aberdeen next year, are we going to shutdown an entire country? No, we'll probably introduce measures for 2-3 weeks in that area - ban non-essential travel to and from that area and shut the schools, and hope that deals with it. If it doesn't then we may have to use a national measure. That is a perfectly sensible solution and the vast majority of people would abide.

With the benefit of hindsight (although I thought this weeks ago) the idea that people in Benbecula have had to live under the same restrictions as people in Glasgow through this is crazy. It's crucial that looking forward we have clear and practical methods of putting in place regional measures.

57 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Agreed, but I don't see how joining in a huge gathering to get pished is in anyone's self interest. Of course self interest is important but hopefully this (my) generation properly gets away from the Thatcherism of "I'm Alright, Jack" less of it in Scotland but still holds us back 

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
41 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:
lol no we don't.

Completely agree - go beyond the central belt and the public transport options are bloody awful.

Parts of Glasgow have almost zero public transport. Once the Tories deregulated the bus service that was it goosed.