Coronavirus (COVID-19)

45 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

England going to 1M so when will our supreme leader follow suit? The usual 2 week delay?

Don't think it matters when she does it as a large percentage of the population have binned it off completely already anyway. 

Trains have been mostly utilised by jakies, junkies, and the young team in recent weeks , but in Glasgow and the West today there were groups of all ages and backgrounds travelling in groups together, obviously heading off to various social gatherings and events with absolutely none of the guidelines being adhered to. 

Social distancing, for the most part, is already a lost cause. 

The figures indicate steady progression and to be seen to follow suit to 1M with down south, without the two week delay, could ingratiate her a bit with some of her detractors, as its already beyond that level with a lot of folk anyway. 

People don't really care about some generic, unrelated old or vulnerable person dying.  

After 3 months of 'lockdown' you can't reasonably expect a young, healthy person to follow guidelines regarding a virus which has basically zero chance of killing them.

I said some time ago - tongue in cheek- weld old people into their homes and let the rest of us get on with it and I stand by the sentiment.

Edited by Am Featha Taigh Nan Clach

That you wanting folk to get in their cars and muck up everyone's nice clean air again? You're blowing hot and cold on this issue.
Surprised he hasnt suggested that if folk want to visit beauty spots they should buy houses near them tbh

7 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

People don't really care about some generic, unrelated old or vulnerable person dying.  

After 3 months of 'lockdown' you can't reasonably expect a young, healthy person to follow guidelines regarding a virus which has basically zero chance of killing them.

I said some time ago - tongue in cheek- weld old people into their homes and let the rest of us get on with it and I stand by the sentiment.

I would agree with that, if young people could guarantee that they won't come into contact with anyone over 24 for any length of time and never in contact with anyone over 50. The chances of that happening are slim to nil. These folk just don't care, their actions are unlikely to do any harm but they could kill their parents, I don't see that as being a risk worth taking.

I would agree with that, if young people could guarantee that they won't come into contact with anyone over 24 for any length of time and never in contact with anyone over 50. The chances of that happening are slim to nil. These folk just don't care, their actions are unlikely to do any harm but they could kill their parents, I don't see that as being a risk worth taking.
What's the mortality, or hospitalization rate for a fit and well 50 year old?

9 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:

Not just Florida.

Screenshot_20200620-231410_Chrome.jpeg

Lots of southern states.

The current PGA Tour event is being held at Hilton Head in South Carolina. Justin Thomas said that "it was like a zoo" in the town with the beach crowded, and bars and restuarants very busy, and absolutely no fucks given for social distancing.

Some wildly differing death rates in those US figures. California has a death rate of just over 3% from it's cases. while New York is over 7.5%, with Virginia under 3%.

It wasn't just Kelvingrove Park that was busy last night, author Ian Rankin lives right by the Meadows in Edinburgh, and tweeted that it was crowded, and with no public toilets open folk were going for a pish anywhere and everywhere.

Edited by peasy23

9 hours ago, virginton said:

A far more logical government message like 'travel an unlimited distance but avoid busy public spaces' would effortlessly distribute those people around an essentially empty country instead. 

That would be completely unmanageable and lead to chaos. "busy public places" - how would you define where these are in advance of someone filling up their tank and driving 200 miles.....what if it became busy just before you arrived?  Would you havea system where the police turned cars back?  Nah, that would be far from "logical"

48 minutes ago, 101 said:

Yep. And plenty of older folk are willing to see the economy trashed just as these young people are entering the jobs market to reduce their chances of catching it from 'extremely unlikely' to 'even more extremely unlikely' so it's swings and roundabouts.

Edited by Gordon EF

If I wanted to get people to disperse effortlessly across the country to enjoy the great outdoors en masse I would simply tell people to *checks notes* all drive up the A82 at the same time
You also wonder how many law abiding, conscientious people who arent going to popular public spaces would then do so based on that advice.

You might be forgiven for thinking some of them would take the opportunity to go to.....say.... Kelvingrove

37 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
54 minutes ago, 101 said:

What's the mortality, or hospitalization rate for a fit and well 50 year old?

The additional analysis sheet here:

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/covid19stats

.. breaks down the data into 5 year age ranges. 50-54 doesn't seem to have high risk, but men in that group seem to be more (3x) at risk than women.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

There's been very few deaths among under 40s. Even below 60 it's not at a level where  we'd stop other activities that had similar risk. Recommending the elderly stay a safe distance from the young seems like a temporary necessity.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Given that they'll never actually ease restrictions based on age, I'm happy enough with the pace restrictions are being eased. 

However, the fear factor has gone. For something tipped to overwhelm the NHS, most people have not had a friend or family member die from it. Your actions by gathering in in groups could kill your parents, but almost certainly won't. 

People just want what's best for them personally and I've no real issue that. Everyone is a bit selfish to some degree.

Older and more at risk? Enjoying your furlough skive? - Don't move too fast, every life is precious!

Younger and want a pint? Worried about your job? Can't be bothered dealing with your kids? -The economy! The econony!  

Edited by Am Featha Taigh Nan Clach

Given that they'll never actually ease restrictions based on age, I'm happy enough with the pace restrictions are being eased. 
However, the fear factor has gone. For something tipped to overwhelm the NHS, most people have not had a friend or family member die from it. Your actions by gathering in in groups could kill your parents, but almost certainly won't. 
People just want what's best for them personally and I've no real issue that. Everyone is a bit selfish to some degree.
Older and more at risk? Enjoying your furlough skive? - Don't move too fast, every life is precious!
Younger and want a pint? Worried about your job? Can't be bothered dealing with your kids? -The economy! The econony!  

You can add to that point about most people not knowing anyone who has died from it, by saying that absolutely everyone knows someone who has been furloughed/bagged or suspects they might get bagged very soon, has had a holiday cancelled, a wedding cancelled, a funeral they couldnt attend etc.

Hardly anyone has seen what we are fighting against, but absolutely everyone is counting the cost one way or another.

We have an impatient society anyway, it's no surprise that as soon as loosening came along and gave an inch, people took a mile.

I still think that the compliance in the firdt few weeks was surprisingly high tbh.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

You can add to that point about most people not knowing anyone who has died from it, by saying that absolutely everyone knows someone who has been furloughed/bagged or suspects they might get bagged very soon, has had a holiday cancelled, a wedding cancelled, a funeral they couldnt attend etc.

Hardly anyone has seen what we are fighting against, but absolutely everyone is counting the cost one way or another.

We have an impatient society anyway, it's no surprise that as soon as loosening came along and gave an inch, people took a mile.

I still think that the compliance in the firdt few weeks was surprisingly high tbh.

I am comfortable to admit I have picked and chose what restrictions to follow to the letter and which not to.

In the early days when it was one time out for exercise per day, I'd go out 3 or 4 times. Where I am, it is easy to keep a good distance from anyone else and so my chance of contracting it or passing it on was as close to 0 as you can get.

However, I waited until you were allowed to meet others outdoors to go and see my parents. Each time I go we sit outside a good 3 or 4 metres apart and I pee in a bucket behind the shed!

I've tried to make decisions based on actual risk. The problem is that quite a large number of people are complete idiots and so you have to have possibly more severe than necessary (now anyway) blanket restrictions and hope the level of compliance only needs to be fairly high.

I am comfortable to admit I have picked and chose what restrictions to follow to the letter and which not to.
In the early days when it was one time out for exercise per day, I'd go out 3 or 4 times. Where I am, it is easy to keep a good distance from anyone else and so my chance of contracting it or passing it on was as close to 0 as you can get.
However, I waited until you were allowed to meet others outdoors to go and see my parents. Each time I go we sit outside a good 3 or 4 metres apart and I pee in a bucket behind the shed!
I've tried to make decisions based on actual risk. The problem is that quite a large number of people are complete idiots and so you have to have possibly more severe than necessary (now anyway) blanket restrictions and hope the level of compliance only needs to be fairly high.

I broke a couple of the rules early on. Childcare and out once a day being the ones that spring to mind. I went out for a cycle or a run myself then took the kids for a walk. Taking them for the 2 or 3 mile walk they can manage at their pace isnt really exercise for me, and it wasnt fair on them being stuck in. Didnt feel there was any credible risk with that so it's what I did.

As far as childcare went, we had no options. My work changed my rota for covid reasons which made it impossible for Mrs B to request her shifts around mine.

Again, all parties were happy enough with the risks involved. That one I was less comfortable with admittedly, but there was no other choice available.

I like to think I can do the above and still maintain a sneering attitude towards folk who clearly havent considered the risks or taken any measure whatsoever to minimise them.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

I like to think I can do the above and still maintain a sneering attitude towards folk who clearly havent considered the risks or taken any measure whatsoever to minimise them.

Agreed. I wish people wouldn't congregated in parks and not social distance. 

I'm saying everything from the perspective of having no children and both my job and my wife's job being safe as houses. 

What people now want almost entirely seems to be determined by personal circumstances and I understand that. No issue with people looking after no. 1. However, when people on here and elsewhere are discussing/arguing about what should happen next it just annoys me slightly they often hide behind utilitarian pretences to  argue for what suits them best.