Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Puppy begets puppies?

Absolutely. Took my (then single) brother in law out for a walk with the dog when he was still a pup and he was gobsmacked at the amount of women he ended up speaking to. Met more attractive ladies in an hour than he had in the previous nine months. Even last night a high-end private school mither in (not much) lycra was fussing over the boy. 

Edited by Shandon Par

12 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Anyone demanding a discount because of their job should be charged double. Absolute fuds.

Trainees at my old public sector employer got student cards because their graduate training programme was "accredited". They were on £23k to £45k salaries and getting discounts intended for proper students. I would have milked the teats off that. 

If you go to certain businesses in Perth and tell them you work for the company I’m at you’ll get slight discounts. I’ve never done it because the thought of asking for £5 of a new tyre or a discounted entry to loft makes me cringe.

26 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I'm a NHS worker and I've been thoroughly pissed off with all you c***s since you stopped clapping for me every Thursday night ! Discounted stuff for NHS stuff is an insult. It should be free. Especially for non cape wearing heroes like me who have been fighting their way through a Covid haze every day to work right at the coalface while all you lazy sods (teachers are particularly evil) sit on your arses watching Judge Judy . 

In truth the whole discounted stuff for NHS workers never sat well with me and never took advantage of it even in shops where it was offered. I did, I'll admit, take advantage of priority entry to Iceland for shopping after 5pm when it was on offer. The utter brass neck of actually asking for discount simply because you work in the NHS. I was getting my long overdue hair cut last Saturday and the barber asked me how covid had impacted on my work. As soon as I told him that I worked for the NHS and had been going into work every day (having that level of routine when Lockdown was first imposed was actually helpful  and I'm miles from the 'frontline') I immediately thought 'he thinks I'm after a discount here'. 

11 hours ago, Monday 13th July said:

You can't because its a horrendous thing for any teacher to say.   Indeed, within the teaching performativity there will be the whole spectrum of skills.    My mother wasn't great with modern technology,  but used her time wisely to keep ahead of the curve.   At night she would receive calls from those new to the job,  helping those less ofay with the workings of modern management and inspectors.    

Is this supposed to be aux fait?

10 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

I'm a NHS worker and I've been thoroughly pissed off with all you c***s since you stopped clapping for me every Thursday night ! Discounted stuff for NHS stuff is an insult. It should be free. Especially for non cape wearing heroes like me who have been fighting their way through a Covid haze every day to work right at the coalface while all you lazy sods (teachers are particularly evil) sit on your arses watching Judge Judy . 

In truth the whole discounted stuff for NHS workers never sat well with me and never took advantage of it even in shops where it was offered. I did, I'll admit, take advantage of priority entry to Iceland for shopping after 5pm when it was on offer. The utter brass neck of actually asking for discount simply because you work in the NHS. I was getting my long overdue hair cut last Saturday and the barber asked me how covid had impacted on my work. As soon as I told him that I worked for the NHS and had been going into work every day (having that level of routine when Lockdown was first imposed was actually helpful  and I'm miles from the 'frontline') I immediately thought 'he thinks I'm after a discount here'. 

I was driving down to West Linton the other day and there was a billboard advertising "Half price gutter clean for NHS workers", which made me chuckle.

If businesses want to do it then fair enough.  I can't imagine someone asking for a discount.  Also, people do get paid in the NHS, I assume.  I did when I briefly worked there.

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

One of the local papers ran a poll regarding going into lockdown again if cases increased/“second wave”. The majority felt we SHOULD have another lockdown. Fcking madness. 

I wouldn't worry, I don't think a poll on the facebook page of the Ayrshire Post is at all representative of government policy. 

Seriously, what good is following this news religiously doing you? You seem to be on here almost every day in a rage about stuff that people are saying or about stuff that hasn't even happened (like a second wave lockdown). Remove yourself from this, go out and breath some fresh air. Life doesn't need to be so stressful.

21 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

I was getting my long overdue hair cut last Saturday and the barber asked me how covid had impacted on my work. As soon as I told him that I worked for the NHS and had been going into work every day (having that level of routine when Lockdown was first imposed was actually helpful  and I'm miles from the 'frontline') I immediately thought 'he thinks I'm after a discount here'. 

In more sensible communities the other customers would have joined him in beating you to death for being a likely Covid carrier.

15 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Also, people do get paid in the NHS, I assume.  

Paid in claps. At least we were until people stopped caring :-) 

Now I'm fighting the local seagulls for pigeons and rats so we can eat. 

Edited by John MacLean

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I wouldn't worry, I don't think a poll on the facebook page of the Ayrshire Post is at all representative of government policy. 

Seriously, what good is following this news religiously doing you? You seem to be on here almost every day in a rage about stuff that people are saying or about stuff that hasn't even happened (like a second wave lockdown). Remove yourself from this, go out and breath some fresh air. Life doesn't need to be so stressful.

Ayr Advertiser actually 😏

i haven’t actually watched the news in days. Social Media is bombarded with it. It’s  hard to avoid it. Just felt it was crazy that people (Ayrshire folk but so be it) would be so open to another lockdown knowing the implications the first one had

I wouldn’t want to see another lockdown occur but I can’t help but think they might curb certain things in December of January to try and cut back the potential risk of transmission.

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Ayr Advertiser actually 😏

i haven’t actually watched the news in days. Social Media is bombarded with it. It’s  hard to avoid it. Just felt it was crazy that people (Ayrshire folk but so be it) would be so open to another lockdown knowing the implications the first one had

Social media is the worst thing for anyone to follow through this, it's where you'll find the least amount of informative information and the largest amount of fear mongering. Just disable your accounts for the next couple of months and see if it makes you any happier, I'd be willing to bet it will.

42 minutes ago, mizfit said:

If you go to certain businesses in Perth and tell them you work for the company I’m at you’ll get slight discounts. I’ve never done it because the thought of asking for £5 of a new tyre or a discounted entry to loft makes me cringe.

I think this is different if it's part of an advertised employer scheme. There are a few restaurants near where I work that offer discounts to staff, and I have no issue in getting my 20% off my food or whatever it is because it's an actual offer that they have chosen to put out there to attract customers.

There's no chance I'd go into a restaurant that wasn't part of the scheme showing my staff card and demanding money off though.