Coronavirus (COVID-19)

If the Scottish government only gave the kids the results they were predicted because of a looming election, what's the excuse for England, Wales and Northern Ireland?

Edited by madwullie

16 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

(at a steady ~1,000 per day it would take just 150 years to infect the entire population) and are clearly satisfied that, so long as hospital numbers are decreasing / remain low then there is little danger of the NHS being overwhelmed.

Except it wouldn't remain at a steady rate if everybody went back to mingling with one another, would it.

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

Except it wouldn't remain at a steady rate if everybody went back to mingling with one another, would it.

This is the point that Todd doesn’t seem to understand although I agree with most of his stuff. It will never be totally under control until there’s a vaccine or testing on a large scale. Any extra contact with people and it will just spike. 

13 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

This is the point that Todd doesn’t seem to understand although I agree with most of his stuff. It will never be totally under control until there’s a vaccine or testing on a large scale. Any extra contact with people and it will just spike. 

I mean, it has been decreasing again over the last few days (today's UK total of 812 is 197 lower than last Wednesday) so no, it is not guaranteed to "spike."

The UK death 7 day average is now 9.7, and has continued to fall, in the main, along with hospitalisations / people in ICU since restrictions were first lifted. Nothing over the last 3 months has caused this trend to reverse, despite being constantly told "wait 2 weeks"

Something which is responsible for around 0.6% of all deaths in the UK each day is absolutely under control and should not be anywhere near being a major concern.

It's laughable.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Also, when we talk about 1,000 cases now, we are talking about a large percentage of those who have been targetted and would otherwise be unaware they were "ill"

Back in March, we had 2-3 times that number of people who were ill enough to have to go to hospital. Goodness knows how many "cases" we would have had if we had the same testing structure as we have now, but a rough estimate of 25-30,000 (if not higher) per day probably wouldn't be far off.

We won't do this, but even if we went back to absolutely normal tomorrow, the added awareness of hygiene etc, plus the level of immunity built up / already present would ensure we got absolutely nowhere near these numbers again.

23 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I mean, it has been decreasing again over the last few days (today's UK total of 812 is 197 lower than last Wednesday) so no, it is not guaranteed to "spike."

The UK death 7 day average is now 9.7, and has continued to fall, in the main, along with hospitalisations / people in ICU since restrictions were first lifted. Nothing over the last 3 months has caused this trend to reverse, despite being constantly told "wait 2 weeks"

Something which is responsible for around 0.6% of all deaths in the UK each day is absolutely under control and should not be anywhere near being a major concern.

It's laughable.

You’ve done it again, what would stop it getting back to large numbers again? Oh yeah, the current measures we have in place.

Numbers will increase if people are allowed to do what they want. The numbers are really low now and I can see why people are frustrated.

I don’t think that we will see huge numbers like before as care homes and hospitals should now be protected properly but community transmission will spike most definitely. That’s the nature of contagious diseases not under control.

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Of course  I didn't mean that  the level of immunity built up / already present would ensure we got absolutely nowhere near these numbers again, when I said the level of immunity built up / already present would ensure we got absolutely nowhere near these numbers again.

FTFY 

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

FTFY 

It's like conversing with a plank. You pop up with shitey wee digs etc but add literally nothing to any conversation.

Not everyone in the general population is susceptible to SARS-Covid-19

Previous exposure to the virus is not the only factor in people being immune to it. I assume you know that, unless your only reading / listening about the virus is what NS tells you.

12 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

You’ve done it again, what would stop it getting back to large numbers again? Oh yeah, the current measures we have in place.

Numbers will increase if people are allowed to do what they want. The numbers are really low now and I can see why people are frustrated.

I don’t think that we will see huge numbers like before as care homes and hospitals should now be protected properly but community transmission will spike most definitely. That’s the nature of contagious diseases not under control.

Except they haven't. At any time people have did what they wanted.

BLM. Clapping on a bridge. Defending Statues. Congas and street parties for VE Day. Going to the Beach.

All things we were told would cause massive spikes in two weeks, yet did absolutely nothing.

It's only since contact tracing, and the targetted testing of close contacts that cases have 'shot up' and even then, it's an absolutely minimal amount.

6 hours ago, Snafu said:

Warnings coming from Oldham that they are on the verge of a total local lockdown.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/18/oldham-feared-on-brink-catastrophic-coronavirus-lockdown

Oldham was where lurgi first struck in the Goon Show episode "lurgi strikes Britain"

Life imitates art.

Just need to look at Spain and France now running at 20k plus new infections a week. Why would we not have the same prorata rise here ? It simply beggars belief that we wouldn't see the same proportional rise.