Coronavirus (COVID-19)

16 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

There sure is, but have we all to suffer because of manky kunts? Go to the football, wear a scarf over your face or a mask and take some hand sanitiser incase the phlebs brush past   

^^^ Big team found

ETA: Up yours, effeffsee_the2nd

Edited by Jacksgranda

What if they asked for volunteers to go to a st mirran game or whatever? full stadium, no distancing no masks, singing , shouting fuckin hell referee! the whole lot, on condition that they isolate for 2 weeks and get tested every few days? we would then have a better idea of how the virus would spread at these type of events and make adjustments accordingly?  isn't that basicly how they tested stadium safety  pre - Taylor report? fill it with volunteers

9 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Pish excuse.

All clubs could easily be invited to run test events, capped at a percentage of stadium capacity. For the likes of Hamilton that might only be 600 fans, but it's a start.

That said i'm not exactly sure what 1,000 fans in a 67,000 seater stadium is supposed to be testing.

What you are describing where every club has a capped percentage is exactly what they doing the testing for, so that it can be happening all across the country at the same time.

The point in using a massive stadium with a small number of fans to try it out first is to check all the practicalities involving entry points, bathrooms etc and to be able to shape the advice that then goes out to all sporting venues about how to control that flow. Doing a single venue at a time means that if it ends up being unsafe because there's a particular element they haven't thought about, then only one small localised population has exposed at a time, rather than 30 odd different venues across the country.

I get they need to start somewhere before building numbers up, but 1000 in Murrayfield as a test event is about 1.49% of capacity, which is the equivalent of allowing 304 at Easter Road, 270 at Rugby Park, 119 at St Mirren, 56 at Forthbank or 30 at Dumbarton.

They understandably want to play it as safe as possible for a first test run and therefore using the biggest stadium in the country makes sense, but how are you even testing the feasibility of distancing at turnstiles and in stands with numbers that small, when everyone has 67 seats to themselves and there's no risk of for example too many people wanting to use the same toilet block at once? If you're wanting to establish how realistic operating an event at something like 10% capacity is then it's not really going to tell us that.

I get that you can't pick an exact proportion from stadium to stadium, as managing a 10% crowd at Murrayfield, Parkhead, Ibrox or Hampden would give you between 5000-6700 people to manage outside the ground and through turnstiles etc making it a very different challenge to 10% at New Douglas Park, and of course being extremely careful with the first test event is sensible.

However those numbers are proportionate to having 90 people in New Douglas Park, so they'll tell you very little about how easy it is to manage 600 people there. We're a considerable while away from getting to those kinds of numbers in grounds if these are the numbers we're starting to test with.

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I doubt clubs would even bother opening up again for 10%. 

Extra costs, no atmosphere anyway and a shitstorm over which season ticket holders get in. 

What about Hamilton though eh? EH? AMIRITE

The 1872 match was always identified as a possible test event. This is because Murrayfield is the largest stadium in Scotland and does not require indoor access via turnstiles or to get to your seat. It's not anything to do with rugby v football, its really just the most logical option at this moment.

Imagine the moaning if some clubs got to trial an attendance but others didn't. You also wouldn't do at 6 smaller venues that dont have outdoor access as your starting point.

The Scottish Government do not have a covid elimination strategy.  There is no mention of this in any government document as far as I'm aware.

I had a phone conversation with my local MSP on Monday regarding my employment position as I am still not allowed to work and he stated that the Scottish Government are pursuing an elimination policy whereas England and Wales are looking to live with the virus.

37 minutes ago, super_carson said:

The 1872 match was always identified as a possible test event. This is because Murrayfield is the largest stadium in Scotland and does not require indoor access via turnstiles or to get to your seat. It's not anything to do with rugby v football, its really just the most logical option at this moment.

Imagine the moaning if some clubs got to trial an attendance but others didn't. You also wouldn't do at 6 smaller venues that dont have outdoor access as your starting point.

Kindly take your reasoned, logical, well-thought out argument elsewhere and let the rest of us have a rant about how terriible rugby is

17 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I wonder what it is that motivates VT to continually undermine any point he might have by insisting that the reason schools have been opened is because parents dont want to look after their children.

Try reading for the sake of comprehension champ. The reason why schools have opened and Stair Park for example has not is because the government does not want the political blowback of hordes of angry, self-entitled parents, least of all just six months before an election. Hence why they also caved in on the exam results and handed out joke certificates all round. 

The reason why parents want the schools back is indeed what you have stated above and they're fooling absolutely no-one with their concern about a child's education, which can be made good later. They just want their free, full-time childminder service back right now and if teachers and supply staff have to contract Covid then that's a price worth paying. 

17 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's not about not wanting to look after their children but because they need looked after while they are working.

This is about the economy more than anything.

It's cute that you think people will still all have jobs to go to by the end of this year. 

Edited by vikingTON

11 minutes ago, virginton said:

Try reading for the sake of comprehension champ. The reason why schools have opened and Stair Park for example has not is because the government does not want the political blowback of hordes of angry, self-entitled parents, least of all just six months before an election. Hence why they also caved in on the exam results and handed out joke certificates all round. 

The reason why parents want the schools back is indeed what you have stated above and they're fooling absolutely no-one with their concern about a child's education, which can be made good later. They just want their free, full-time childminder service back right now and if teachers and supply staff have to contract Covid then that's a price worth paying. 

It's cute that you think people will still all have jobs to go to by the end of this year. 

^^ Dug with fuckin bone  ^^  jesus

12 hours ago, ScottR96 said:

Does any c**t actually go to club rugby matches anyway? 

I think that's the point, if say Crossgates Primrose were playing I would probably go along and watch, I'm sure others would do the same so you will end up with bigger crowds making social distancing difficult/ impossible.

No one is going to go to a rugby game, people who do go won't shout and sing and it's normally recommend not to get too close to a rugger fan for fear of your pint being pished in.

"Reading for comprehension" the new "swing and a miss" is it? Must be about the 400th you have started off one of your long winded whines with that.

Amazing to see someone who likes to wail about objective facts and such like presuming to speak for the motivations of every parent in Scotland, and in doing so, confidently dismiss the possibility that people actually care about the education and mental wellbeing of their children. The same mental wellbeing which was spoken about routinely with great concern at the start of the lockdown, yet can apparently now be completely dismissed as any sort of factor in the equation.

It's also amazing that you have all the answers regarding the easy catch up program for education which IIRC, in a show of pure genius, involves forcing teachers and pupils into schools 6 or even 7 days a week.

43 minutes ago, stuart87 said:

I had a phone conversation with my local MSP on Monday regarding my employment position as I am still not allowed to work and he stated that the Scottish Government are pursuing an elimination policy whereas England and Wales are looking to live with the virus.

Is this MSP a member of the government? 

Hopefully something along these lines could be in the pipeline. This is Estonia and they have a similar infection rate to ourselves at the moment.

Sports competitions

Hence July 15, sports competitions have allowed to be held with spectators, provided that the dispersion requirement is observed. The organisers must comply with the venue's max. 50% spectator capacity requirement, and no more than 1500 persons may take part of an indoor event. It is allowed to organise a sports competition outdoors with up to 2000 participants, if the same rules are followed. NB! The total number of participants includes athletes, spectators, organisers and other relevant staff.

Domestic football is nowhere near as popular in Estonia as over here, but an interesting point on this is that some Estonian teams have had record crowds since fans have been allowed to return.

Provincial clubs Kuressaare and Viljandi got about 850 and 650 fans respectively for games in July, which could be over double the regular attendance for each.

A Parnü derby match got about 1800 fans which was apparently an all time record for the second top flight.

Makes me wonder that if fans were allowed back to attend lower levels of football here would some lower league and top non-league teams get much bigger crowds than normal in the short-term.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

"Reading for comprehension" the new "swing and a miss" is it? Must be about the 400th you have started off one of your long winded whines with that.

Amazing to see someone who likes to wail about objective facts and such like presuming to speak for the motivations of every parent in Scotland, and in doing so, confidently dismiss the possibility that people actually care about the education and mental wellbeing of their children. The same mental wellbeing which was spoken about routinely with great concern at the start of the lockdown, yet can apparently now be completely dismissed as any sort of factor in the equation.

I don't recall teachers and support staff signing up to work in a patently unsafe environment during a pandemic if the alternative might make your sprog a wee bit sad for a while. I don't see similar hand-wringing about the skyrocketing levels of depression and mental wellbeing concerns among the general population though: perhaps we should lift all restrictions on the same grounds then and not just the ones that suit your schedule. 

It's also amazing that you have all the answers regarding the easy catch up program for education which IIRC, in a show of pure genius, involves forcing teachers and pupils into schools 6 or even 7 days a week.

It's not 'amazing' at all because it's in fact a perfectly straightforward solution and one that follows the rather more important task of combatting the virus rather than placating whingeing parents. 

Edited by vikingTON

9 minutes ago, Markka said:

Domestic football is nowhere near as popular in Estonia as over here, but an interesting point on this is that some Estonian teams have had record crowds since fans have been allowed to return.

Provincial clubs Kuressaare and Viljandi got about 850 and 650 fans respectively for games in July, which could be over double the regular attendance for each.

A Parnü derby match got about 1800 fans which was apparently an all time record for the second top flight.

Makes me wonder that if fans were allowed back to attend lower levels of football here would some lower league and top non-league teams get much bigger crowds than normal in the short-term.

They definitely will. If there's a game on anywhere near me and I'm allowed to go to it then I'd definitely head along. I'm pretty sure plenty of folk would be in the same boat.