Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

2 weeks since cases started rising to 40-50odds each day yet hospital admisions and icu patient numbers have went down!, as well as zero deaths.  The same numbers have been reported all across Europe.  You wonder if this just hit hard amongst the oldest and sickest in society who were hanging on by their fingernails in march or april?

Of course it did.

Lockdownphiles, however, have spent 5 months shouting down anyone who pointed this out that is easier for them to dig their feet in and double down than it would be to admit that they bought in to the fear and lose face.

4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Everyone knows football games were postponed as a punishment for being naughty as opposed to any public safety or restrictions concerns.

Of course they do, but when statements are made saying the opposite, then when they are not applied when the same restrictions remain it just looks ridiculous.

Edited by Todd_is_God

10 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Melville Castle Hotel has closed for good cancelling all bookings and weddings -

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/shock-edinburgh-melville-castle-hotel-18793306

I was in Glasgow for a meal last night and was surprised by just how many restaurants and bars were closed: from the bottom of Hope Street going up to Sauchiehall it seemed that about 50% of them weren't open. When these businesses can't operate when the government is literally flinging money to get punters through the door right now then they won't be coming back at all: by the time that the furlough scheme ends there's going to be an absolute shitstorm of closures and job losses. Which makes the current demand to get the 'full time mummy: full time professional too' brigade back to the office very badly timed indeed. 

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Have you found another Italian quack claiming the virus has mutated to something harmless?

Lockdowns do not drive deaths down. They reduce naturally over time.

Nothing to do with the virus mutating, everything to do with those who are most likely to die already being dead.

20200818_103100.jpg

School wise, is it completely unfeasible to have a formal 'Open University style' form of distance learning for high schools courses at least? 

Even when I'm in university, I see some oversubscribed courses stick half the class in a separate room from the lecturer who they only see through video link. However, I appreciate that school and uni teaching aren't directly comparable as school seems to involve a bit more 'hand holding'. 

This said, even in the case that it is, it wouldn't be the sort of thing you could develop in just a month. 

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Of course it did.

Lockdownphiles, however, have spent 5 months shouting down anyone who pointed this out that is easier for them to dig their feet in and double down than it would be to admit that they bought in to the fear and lose face.

https://www.behavioraleconomics.com/resources/mini-encyclopedia-of-be/sunk-cost-fallacy/

I'm very bad for this myself, it's really difficult to shake of the core belief of "we've come to far to turn back now"   How they are going to undo this "deadly virus which we must do all we can to protect from" to "Ach its fine just get on wae it " I honestly don't know

Unfortunately for you, the Scottish Football Coronavirus Joint Response Group clearly said:
These matches have been postponed in light of ongoing restrictions in Aberdeen...
https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/coronavirus-joint-response-group-update-11-august/
So tell me again how I "know" that they were not postponed due to local lockdown...
So do you want / think Aberdeen should be allowed to play this week or not. Play or not you will criticize the decision, you have lost the plot. Anyone who thinks that measures haven't got the deaths to where they are today is bordering on Icke levels of conspiracy theories.

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
13 minutes ago, virginton said:
If you're a complete fucking idiot who thinks that criticising teachers means that you also want them to die of Covid, sure.  

Same old, same old, class references blah, blah, blah At it, confirmed, Que Champ / Swing and a miss / Clowshoes / Ainsley

This is a genuinely atrocious post.

Just now, Billy Jean King said:
10 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
Unfortunately for you, the Scottish Football Coronavirus Joint Response Group clearly said:
These matches have been postponed in light of ongoing restrictions in Aberdeen...
https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/coronavirus-joint-response-group-update-11-august/
So tell me again how I "know" that they were not postponed due to local lockdown...

So do you want / think Aberdeen should be allowed to play this week or not. Play or not you will criticize the decision, you have lost the plot. Anyone who thinks that measures haven't got the deaths to where they are today is bordering on Icke levels of conspiracy theories.

I would like consistency. If the reason they couldn't play Hamilton was given as because of the local restrictions being in place, then they should not play until those restrictions are lifted.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Nothing to do with the virus mutating, everything to do with those who are most likely to die already being dead.

20200818_103100.jpg

You really don't think the lockdown and other containment measures did and are doing anything to lower transmission?

20200818_103100.jpg

Lockdowns drive down transmission. The number of deaths attributable will then be proportional to the degree of transmission to vulnerable groups.

We haven't seen more deaths because the case loads have been largely constrained to younger age groups. However, without some form of lockdown there is an increased chance that vulnerable groups become exposed and then you start with the whole dying thing again.

So, your options are at this point

1) to continue with localised lockdowns to stop clusters early in the community, try your best to enforce best, careful practice and live with it until a vaccine is available or the poor wee thing is driven down to such a low level it would struggle to infect more vectors.

2) lock up the oldies, the rest of us go crazy with the ol' Covid parties and take the hit on the very small chances of mortality in younger age groups (assuming no mutation) and then release the old folk six months from now when herd immunity has taken hold.

Of course it did.

I think away from the extremes on either side, most people now accept that Covid isn’t a killer for the vast majority. It’s why bars and restaurants are full, it’s why people in England at least are back at gyms, and it’s why parents in Scotland are happily sending their kids off to school (well, that and the free childcare). The vast majority will be fine, plenty won’t even know they have it. It isn’t something to really worry about on a personal level for most.

But. Letting the virus build up again amongst the ‘healthy’ population seems fine in theory, but sooner or later a nurse who went out to a pub at the weekend takes it into their respiratory ward, a carer goes into their work with the virus and changed a few residents a few days after eating at a restaurant, you go and visit your parents after stopping in to see your pal. If the virus is in general circulation amongst the healthy it won’t take long before it leaks to those that are far more likely to be seriously affected. And suddenly we can end up in the kind of position we were in in April.

Aberdeen shows what can happen. Happily as far as I’m aware nobody has even been in hospital as a result of the cluster, which is definitely evidence for most people being fine - nearly 400 positive cases are directly linked to the cluster. But it was caught very, very early. If that was given another weekend of busy bars/restaurants/house parties? It wouldn’t have peaked at 400 anyway. We could let it run a bit and be happy with a higher level as areas of England are doing, or we can stamp it out. I think over winter, especially with an end to furlough, we’ll likely need to accept higher numbers but if it can be stamped out at the moment then why not?

I would like consistency. If the reason they couldn't play Hamilton was given as because of the local restrictions being in place, then they should not play until those restrictions are lifted.

"in light of" doesn't mean "as a direct and inevitable consequence of".