Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Whenever I travelled for work I’d always go back to the hotel as early as possible to use the gym and then read a book in my room rather than go out drinking on expenses.

Many people are saying I am a weirdo for doing this and, to be frank, they are right. I just like the complete aloneness of being away on my own in a hotel.

I'm the same as a lot of folk above, would be absolutely gutted if the international conference aspect of my job was lost. Personally found it to be one of the best parts going off to some weird and wonderful places. I've enjoyed the working from home but I've been in the process of buying a flat so have been able to get a lot done, maybe won't feel the same in a couple of months. My work has said we'll go to 2 days in 3 days out of the office at least transitionally after the SG say folk should go back to the office, personally I would prefer that to be the long term model.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

Whenever I travelled for work I’d always go back to the hotel as early as possible to use the gym and then read a book in my room rather than go out drinking on expenses.

Many people are saying I am a weirdo for doing this and, to be frank, they are right. I just like the complete aloneness of being away on my own in a hotel.

Nothing weird about this at all

28 minutes ago, H Wragg said:
1 hour ago, Gaz said:
I thought The Shed had burnt doon

The only nightclub that has burnt doon recently that I can think of is Victoria's in town.

I think he means the Shack/Trash. Though that was absolutely ages ago.

14 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Same, unless I'm with a group. Maybe not the gym aspect but just the overall chill. Defo the spa facilities, though.

The novelty of a few expensed pints on my todd wore off pretty quickly for the most part.

28 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

What's yer missus login on P&B?

6 hours ago, Snafu said:

Off topic.

Our PM who has been posted missing for the last week has suddenly turned up in Perthshire on a camping holiday.

Boris was a well known cyclist.

Can we get Grahame to enact a White Fiat Panda in the Paris tunnel scenario with his Kia Ceed....?

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

If you’re with an okay group then don’t mind going out for a meal and drinks with them, but all too often they want to treat it like a night out and stay at a pub until 3am when you’ve to get up at 7am to work which is utter shite.

I have in the past intentionally booked a different hotel a bit further away from where I know colleagues are staying as I can get some peace from them.

9 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Same, unless I'm with a group. Maybe not the gym aspect but just the overall chill. Defo the spa facilities, though.

The novelty of a few expensed pints on my todd wore off pretty quickly for the most part.

Drink on expenses was outlawed in my place years ago. I buy extra food to make sure I reach the expenses limit. (Not much extra on £21.00 a day, mind you, London it doesn't cover 2 meals)

Anyway, In my job we travel alone. I avoid the locals as well. The peace is what I enjoy most.

You still hear the awful "banter" at breakfast though...any one seen John...what time did you get in...sore head?

Drink on expenses was outlawed in my place years ago. I buy extra food to make sure I reach the expenses limit. (Not much extra on £21.00 a day, mind you, London it doesn't cover 2 meals)
Anyway, In my job we travel alone. I avoid the locals as well. The peace is what I enjoy most.
You still hear the awful "banter" at breakfast though...any one seen John...what time did you get in...sore head?

My whole team went out for a meal in a pub when we were on an away day in another city a couple of years ago and one lassie drank two bottles of wine and a few shots before drunkenly revealing to us extreme personal issues, so mental I can’t repeat them on here. She then went into the ladies to be sick and fell asleep in the cubicle.

Next day she turned up and didn’t mention any of it, very weird. She never mentioned any of it again, very much the elephant in the room until she left.

4 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Should be a massive reduction in office/staff parties at the end of the year with a mixture of health and safety, costs and low moral being among the reasons.

In that circumstance it might be possible to visit a pub in December without wishing you had a flame thrower.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

My whole team went out for a meal in a pub when we were on an away day in another city a couple of years ago and one lassie drank two bottles of wine and a few shots before drunkenly revealing to us extreme personal issues, so mental I can’t repeat them on here. She then went into the ladies to be sick and fell asleep in the cubicle.

Next day she turned up and didn’t mention any of it, very weird. She never mentioned any of it again, very much the elephant in the room until she left.

Repeat it, NOW!

23 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Should be a massive reduction in office/staff parties at the end of the year with a mixture of health and safety, costs and low moral being among the reasons.

Let's hope so. Not a peep about Christmas in my place so far which sounds hopeful, although I'm just waiting on some bright spark suggesting we organise one where we crack cans at 9.30 in the morning over Zoom.

The story touches several hot button modern topics, if I repeat it I’m genuinely worried I’ll be cancelled and will be reduced to scraping out a living writing think pieces for the Spectator and doing long Twitter threads about wokeness.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I've been trying to lose a bit of weight and being away was a nightmare for that. The amount of time "no, thank you" comes out as "sticky toffee pudding, please" when asked if I would like a desert is unreal.

I'd probably be better off having that second pint I didn't have because I was trying to get skinny instead 🤣

14 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The story touches several hot button modern topics, if I repeat it I’m genuinely worried I’ll be cancelled and will be reduced to scraping out a living writing think pieces for the Spectator and doing long Twitter threads about wokeness.

Fucking hurry up!