Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I think it’s pretty certain we would follow England into another lockdown - haven’t we been the strictest of the U.K. nations ever since re-opening started?

I really don’t envy her but I think you could argue fairly easily that Sturgeon’s way of “showing true leadership” and “taking it seriously” basically means “being as strict or stricter than the rest of the U.K.”.

30 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Our leaders have failed us.

This first lockdown was a cock up of epic proportions. And now we find ourselves in the same position again six months later. A vaccine (in this country) seems as far away as ever. The economy is trashed.

No end in sight

Without wishing to defend c***s like Boris Johnson, or any of the devolved governments - what are you really expecting them to do?

We have a completely new situation with this pandemic, none of the tests or infrastructure we have now existed and we have never needed PPE or testing labs at the scale we do now. You can’t just magic this up - we’ve actually done well to get what we have together already. 

The first lockdown did its job - drove down transmission rates and stopped the hospitals from being overwhelmed. Coming out of lockdown was always going to see cases rise - that’s nothing to do with good or bad handling, it’s just nature. There is also no real balance to be struck between lockdown and the economy - or not more than is already happening. People indoors are not spending money out of it. 

Sometimes it reads as though people want magic to happen and answers or solutions that just don’t exist. I’m not saying things can’t have been handled better in some areas but the governments are learning as they go along with this as much as everyone else. 

4 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Without wishing to defend c***s like Boris Johnson, or any of the devolved governments - what are you really expecting them to do?

We have a completely new situation with this pandemic, none of the tests or infrastructure we have now existed and we have never needed PPE or testing labs at the scale we do now. You can’t just magic this up - we’ve actually done well to get what we have together already. 

The first lockdown did its job - drove down transmission rates and stopped the hospitals from being overwhelmed. Coming out of lockdown was always going to see cases rise - that’s nothing to do with good or bad handling, it’s just nature. There is also no real balance to be struck between lockdown and the economy - or not more than is already happening. People indoors are not spending money out of it. 

Sometimes it reads as though people want magic to happen and answers or solutions that just don’t exist. I’m not saying things can’t have been handled better in some areas but the governments are learning as they go along with this as much as everyone else. 

My understanding though, is that there was a pandemic plan and stored resources of PPE and a budget to replenish it but NHS cuts did away with it in 2016. We might have done better if we'd kept it.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

If you can go between top quality German beers where you currently live, and top quality T when you return to Fife, and yet find yourself consuming Brewdog, I will gladly put you out of your misery.

Animal.
I prefer a pint of Belhaven Best whenever I can to be fair.

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

My understanding though, is that there was a pandemic plan and stored resources of PPE and a budget to replenish it but NHS cuts did away with it in 2016. We might have done better if we'd kept it.

Oh yeah, I’m not saying things couldn’t be done better in a lot of ways.

I just don’t get the comments (similar on social media as to the one I quoted) that come across as “This is all the governments fault and if they had just done things properly then it would all be over by now” kind of thing.  

5 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Oh yeah, I’m not saying things couldn’t be done better in a lot of ways.

I just don’t get the comments (similar on social media as to the one I quoted) that come across as “This is all the governments fault and if they had just done things properly then it would all be over by now” kind of thing.  

People like to pretend that the government actually gives a f**k about them that they have any control in stopping things like this. Yes they could have spent more on PPE and ventilators like experts had warned them for decades but the bigger global capitalist juggernaut is just crashing that out the way along with any chance of stopping global warming. 
Hey government should we get some fire extinguishers? What’s that sorry can’t hear you with this flamethrower, extinguishers? Nah we don’t need them.

See this lockdown chat that seems to rearing its head, are they going to shut down the football again? I'm not even sure of that's a stupid question or not. It just seems like we are calling it a lockdown but the chat doesnt seem to be anything like the first one.

I mean, are we really going to be going back ridiculous queues and one way systems at the shops for example?

Guest Bob Mahelp
20 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

The governments are making political decisions. Both the UK and Scottish governments are using 'terrifying' statistics to justify a lockdown that will be utterly pointless and which will cause long term devastation in many ways...simply because they believe that a traumatised population will support them in doing that. 

Both governments (especially Westminster) got their fingers burned at the beginning of this, because they didn't act quickly enough. Every single decision they've made since them has been designed to protect their backs. 

Objectivity is out the window. It's all about Johnson and Sturgeon being able to say that they acted tough. 

13 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

People like to pretend that the government actually gives a f**k about them that they have any control in stopping things like this. Yes they could have spent more on PPE and ventilators like experts had warned them for decades but the bigger global capitalist juggernaut is just crashing that out the way along with any chance of stopping global warming. 
Hey government should we get some fire extinguishers? What’s that sorry can’t hear you with this flamethrower, extinguishers? Nah we don’t need them.

PPE and ventilators are completely necessary but neither of those things stop the pandemic, nor reduce the need to have a lockdown. Even with as many of those things as we need - we are still in the same position.

Just to add, like I said before I am not trying to defend the governments here. Only that people have to be realistic and realise that there isn’t a solution to this that the government aren’t doing. There is no solution at the moment.

Edited by Jambomo

See this lockdown chat that seems to rearing its head, are they going to shut down the football again? I'm not even sure of that's a stupid question or not. It just seems like we are calling it a lockdown but the chat doesnt seem to be anything like the first one.

I mean, are we really going to be going back ridiculous queues and one way systems at the shops for example?

It will be no mixing with other households, no non essential travel and curbs on pubs and restaurants in other words a national blanket roll out of local measures (at worst hopefully). Very little option without extending furlough. Oh and I see the Nightingale hospitals have been put on 48hr notice.

Incidentally I see the clown prince is blaming the great British public for "letting down their guard and relaxing too much" what like piling into restaurants for half price meals 64,000,000 times in a month !!! You couldn't make shit like that up.

4 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

PPE and ventilators are completely necessary but neither of those things stop the pandemic, nor reduce the need to have a lockdown. Even with as many of those things as we need - we are still in the same position.

I’m not sure exactly what pandemic experts advised but you’re right. My point is that money and greed is as much responsible for this as the nuts and bolts and governments couldn’t care less and won’t stop until there’s nothing left. It was only a matter of time before a pandemic happened and rather than stop it governments accelerated the process and increased the chances. It’s a bit naive to think that now they suddenly have our best interests at heart.

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

I’m not sure exactly what pandemic experts advised but you’re right. My point is that money and greed is as much responsible for this as the nuts and bolts and governments couldn’t care less and won’t stop until there’s nothing left. It was only a matter of time before a pandemic happened and rather than stop it governments accelerated the process and increased the chances. It’s a bit naive to think that now they suddenly have our best interests at heart.

I don’t think at all that they have our best interests at heart - quite the opposite. Only as I say, that people seem to expect  and complain that they aren’t getting the impossible as well.

Knowing there is a chance of a pandemic, even thinking we are prepared for one - is quite the opposite from being in one and understanding how all the intertwined branches of our society will react. They study pandemics across the globe, yet those countries don’t have the same economy, the same social conditions etc that we have. It’s really difficult to know how any of this would go before actually experiencing it. 

38 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Morrisons in Hamilton has just posted tonight that the queuing outside etc system will be back in place as of tomorrow. They said in the post that anywhere that has local restrictions will find their morrisons doing the same. 

Plenty of people never ever EVER shopping there again because of it 🤦‍♂️ 

Edited by madwullie