Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Whilst the US is a complete car crash, they're talking about actually doing something. It probably won't happen, or at least not to this extent, but Chuck Schumer is proposing a $750 billion fiscal stimulus package (and what a package!), including direct cash transfers. That's roughly 3.5% of US GDP.

Meanwhile over here, the Chancellor has pledged £12 billion, 0.4% of GDP, to help keep the country from tumbling into the shitter. No talk of direct cash transfers, but Richard Branson has got the begging bowl out for himself.

We're fucked warnock.png

13 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Not really sure what that’s meant to imply, but cheers.

Anyway, guy at works neighbour text him earlier asking if they could use his freezer for a couple of weeks while he’s away, as they’ve “stocked up”. He told them to f**k off.

Where does he think he might be going?

The world will be shut by the weekend at this rate.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

9 out of the the next 21 weeks are school holidays - 2 at Easter and 7 Summer. What is going to happen during that time?

If the government thinks it's a major issue then I presume they are making plans to assist these families over the holiday periods where exactly the issue you raise will be occurring. I think it's been raised elsewhere, but surely the last point at which you want snotty kids sent home from school to have to stay with their grandparents is just as the s**t hits the fan pan, which appears to be what is going to happen.

Going to how much toilet roll is being bought.

Just now, cyderspaceman said:

Where does he think he might be going?

The world will be shut by the weekend at this rate.

Well he’s away at work at the moment, where he’ll more than likely be for the next couple of weeks. 

2 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

It really is. If everyone actually behaves as requested then many businesses might go bust. I realise health is more important but society in general will take a while to recover. 

Agreed. Number 1 peoples health is it, but...

tynierose’s phone is evidently red hot and G-man can’t stock the shelves fast enough. But those that own/run/manage a business, any reports? 

My phone was awfy quiet today, I expect it’ll stay that way for a couple of months now; I’ll get through it, I think. 

But I’m sure there’s many more businesses where they’re operating on small margins or high costs (lots of employees sitting about doing not much for example (and no, I’m not looking at you Richard Branson or Michael O’Leary) that this’ll just wipe them out in no time. 

I’m not talking about fat cats, just people who have a vested interest beyond a wage and a job. Without whom, there will be a lot less wages and jobs. 

What I am not clear about from the guidance is "roll ups". Let's say you have 4 folk in a house Dad, Mum, Son and Daughter (other types of family are available !!) Dad wakes up and has a cough and temperature and self isolates for 7 days. The other 3 are to be in the house for 14 days as per the recent guidance. At the end of day 7 the Dad is feeling better but the Mum now starts having a cough and temperature........ What happens ? Does Dad go back to work on day 8 because he has presumably already had the same thing as Mum now has (although he hasn't been tested) ? .........and do the son and daughter have to restart the 14 day clock ?
Tynierose can no doubt provide the answers.

11 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

tynierose’s phone is evidently red hot and G-man can’t stock the shelves fast enough. But those that own/run/manage a business, any reports? 

My phone was awfy quiet today, I expect it’ll stay that way for a couple of months now; I’ll get through it, I think. 

But I’m sure there’s many more businesses where they’re operating on small margins or high costs (lots of employees sitting about doing not much for example (and no, I’m not looking at you Richard Branson or Michael O’Leary) that this’ll just wipe them out in no time. 

I’m not talking about fat cats, just people who have a vested interest beyond a wage and a job. Without whom, there will be a lot less wages and jobs. 

Spoke to 5 different people today who have either had to leave Edinburgh as their jobs have gone or are on unpaid leave and expect that will ramp up throughout the week. Hotels, tour guides - the impact is hitting hard already. 

On the plus side my commute took half the time it usually does. 

I have no idea about the projections, but I would say Italy are nowhere near the worst of it yet therefore the death rate is bound to increase with more strain on the system.

It's a separate point, but people are measuring the success of containment methods through time periods of a few weeks, when actually it's going to be many months before we see the full extent of measures countries are taking. Some countries will be holding back the virus relatively well in the short term but are just going to feel worse effects in a few months. People are holding up China as an example but I'll be interested to see in a year's time what their situation is like.

China death rate is about 4%. Italy just under 8%. Iran under 6%. These are likely to be over estimates given by unrecorded mild cases are inevitable. 15% projection seems very high if that is indeed being proposed for UK. You do have a point about possible further increases but 15% seems very high.

6 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

What I am not clear about from the guidance is "roll ups". Let's say you have 4 folk in a house Dad, Mum, Son and Daughter (other types of family are available !!) Dad wakes up and has a cough and temperature and self isolates for 7 days. The other 3 are to be in the house for 14 days as per the recent guidance. At the end of day 7 the Dad is feeling better but the Mum now starts having a cough and temperature........ What happens ? Does Dad go back to work on day 8 because he has presumably already had the same thing as Mum now has (although he hasn't been tested) ? .........and do the son and daughter have to restart the 14 day clock ?
Tynierose can no doubt provide the answers.

I think it's presumed that the family will all get it within that initial seven-day period, so the other seven are to allow them to recover. It might not pan out that way, of course, but given how it's spreading, it's unlikely they won't catch it from the dad. 

13 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I have a small family business which is non essential.  If we were instructed to close down for a period it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

However if we close voluntarily or are forced to close through self isolation it could have a serious effect as potential customers would just go to our competitors.

That’s why government action creating a level playing field situation would be best.

I imagine there are many SMEs in a similar position.

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

China death rate is about 4%. Italy just under 8%. Iran under 6%. These are likely to be over estimates given by unrecorded mild cases are inevitable. 15% projection seems very high if that is indeed being proposed for UK.

UK citz are notoriously unhealthy tho'.  

What about the homeless? Where do they go to self isolate?

This could be even worse than I imagined.   🤧

Goodnight all.    

Guest Moomintroll
This is all turning out a bit shit really isn’t it?
It truly is, too many idiots busy point scoring to suit their own narrow minded agendas. No idea how this is going to end up but we need to start listening, follow the advice we are being given by the Medical & Scientific experts in this Country & above all, be ready to help each other as & where we can.