Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, Snafu said:

This is only for the SPFL is it not?

Outside that clubs will have to find funding for themselves, harsh but that's the reality of the situation.

A lot of amateur clubs, grass roots, youth teams etc.

I would assume this will be the same for other team sports around the country.

Ah, apologies. Misread your post. 

I imagine they are probably up shit creek in that event then, sadly. Probably easier to can the season as bad as that is. 

This is only for the SPFL is it not?

Outside that clubs will have to find funding for themselves, harsh but that's the reality of the situation.

A lot of amateur clubs, grass roots, youth teams etc.

I would assume this will be the same for other team sports around the country.

One would assume that mothballing an amateur operation until such time as normal operations are practical will be comparatively simple compared to a professional outfit.

Of course I’ve assumed things wrongly before

59 minutes ago, Snafu said:

How much would football clubs in Scotland burn through a month on testing their players and staff twice a week?

Is that not the procedure, twice a week?

The running costs for all the clubs would be horrendous, worse for smaller clubs with this cost if they were all forced to play without any sustainable income?

I can see why a good number of football clubs are not so keen to start their seasons, players and staff have to be paid as well, both pro and semi pro.

How does this work with the amateur clubs, will players have to pay for their own testing?

Only Premiership sides are obliged to test their squads. From Championship down nobody has been asked to do so (unless something has changed I'm not aware of). Lower league sides have been told they'd need to test if playing Premiership opposition, which is fair enough. You're looking at between £2-3K for an 18-20 man squad. Part time players can't form a "bubble" in the same way full time players can, so you can't really ask them to adhere to the same protocols.

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I would assume in any organised team sport there would be 'in house testing' before any fixture regardless whether its Championship football or local amateurs or any other level in any other team sport that includes semi pro or amateur involvement.

There aren't enough tests to test every single sports person every single week though, you'd have every testing centre in the country stowed out with folk hoping for a negative test so they can play on Sunday. There's a phrase that is often used in a lot of health and safety legislation and that is "as far as is reasonably practical" - I think that applies to testing here. It's fairly straightforward for 12 fully professional teams to isolate and test their players, and they have the resources to do so. I don't think it's reasonably practical to ask every single other team in the country to test their players when it would likely put them out of business, especially at amateur levels where players likely pay to play each week themselves.

The James Anderson £50k was supposed to cover testing, was it not? 
Admittedly I have no idea how much private testing costs. I imagine it'll skin at least a few grand per squad on each occasion. 
Nah it was misreported that the 50k had to be used for either covid testing or to be put directly into a clubs community programme. In reality, it was with no strings.

A huge increase in cases in Scotland in the last 24 hours: 806 new cases, 11.5% of those tested.

Compare that to 6 weeks ago on 18 August when there were 49 new cases...

A new record high of daily cases for the UK as a whole.

71 deaths in the last 24 hours.

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Our FM was saying that around a third of the 806 new cases were from over 40's and pointed out they could not all be explained by outbreaks in universities.

Lot of over 40s out there that have their school-aged kids borrowing library books. 

Today's figures will include a backlog from over the weekend (figures at the weekend were a bit low). But what is notable is that two weeks ago, in Scotland there were 28 people in hospital and 6 in ICU with Coronavirus. Today there are 123 in hospital and 14 in ICU. For the UK, two weeks ago there were 972 in hospital and 106 on ventilators, now at 2049 in hospital and 297 on ventilators.

On fans being able to go to games. Is the numbers of people going into the stadium, and then leaving at the end maybe not a big reason why they aren't keen to allow it to happen? It's ok spreading people out once they are in, but very difficult to keep socially distant when leaving. How many people are going to want to stand/sit about for 15-30 minutes at the final whistle while some kind of staggered departure is in place. Most of the time you are freezing and desperate to leave at the final whistle.

24 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Grocery shop staff should be armed with a bamboo stick to rap the knuckles of those customers who go around continually pick up items of the shelf and put them back therefore sharing whatever is on their hands with the next person that picks up those items.

In some shops (especially Aldi and Lidl) it's impossible not to pick items up in order to get to what you want.

4 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

It's OK though Devi says everyone is just to get on with it as we're all in the same boat.  Her comments were ill informed, showed a complete lack of empathy, understanding and compassion.  A government advisor, deary me.

As a primary care service the rise in mental health cases has been massive, unfortunately the expertise and staff are not available to cope with the influx.

Its been terrible for people's mental health and if we go back the way lockdown wise over the winter then it really will be a perfect storm.

Can I ask have you got the distinct impression that the psychiatric services are loving the ability to cut down their availability? I know that partner agencies are picking up an ever increasing amount of slack with regards these particular calls, someone phones nhs 24 to say they are suicidal and end up having the police chap the door as the NHS cant cope and CPN’s wont come out and visit people. 

My wee boy turns 30mths in October and is supposed to get an assessment from a health visitor, these are now not being done face to face, cant help but imagine there will be significant issues with this approach, there is no reason why health visitors shouldnt take appropriate measures and go to houses. 

It was fine for the Highland League saying 'we're not starting without fans' but it's all but meant this season is a write-off. This won't be done by the end of November, or spring when you may be fit to shift to a summer season, which - if the SPFL goes to plan this season and into next - is out of the question. 

Outgoings will be minimal if the season is mothballed. No expenditure on lights, transport, officials, equipment, bare bones pitch maintenance which will be less than usual if the pitches aren't being cut up every week in games or at training. Could end up being a leveller in the league if players quit because they've missed 18 months of competitive football and clubs can't afford to recruit players of a similar quality to replace them when we restart. 

Maybe the SoSL hasn't the reliance on fans that the SHFL has, which is why they have said they can start without punters.