Coronavirus (COVID-19)

28 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

This is obviously true and no one is arguing otherwise

Except they are. The very post I quoted referred to parents thinking that looking after their own kids is an inconvenience. 

This thread is littered with comments about parents thinking that teachers are babysitters and schools are day care centres. 

6 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

jeez that was quick, were they unwell anyway?

He was shielding, so there must have been some sort of health problem/concern.

Edited by Jacksgranda

Schools in Italy's Campania region close
Angela Giuffrida
Schools in Italy’s southern Campania region have closed less than a month after reopening amid a rapid rise in coronavirus cases.

Authorities said schools would remain closed until the end of October after the region, which was relatively unscathed by the first wave of the pandemic, recorded 1,127 new cases in a day.

I don’t really understand why some people are getting so wound up about the school thing. Clearly it is causing an increase in cases (probably more so than other things) but it is clear they won’t be shutting unless absolutely necessary. What difference does it make if the government say they think schools are low risk. It is what it is. Unless i am missing something.

Except they are. The very post I quoted referred to parents thinking that looking after their own kids is an inconvenience. 
This thread is littered with comments about parents thinking that teachers are babysitters and schools are day care centres. 
Mostly from VT, who has been shrieking about this stuff for months now, without actually presenting any evidence (when I posted links from ECDC and asked for what he has to counter their assessments he responded like a child) and will no doubt imminently be adding Van Tam to the pile of folk (which already includes Sridhar, Leitch, Pennington, Vallance and Whitty) he knows better than. I can remember when people who were sick of experts got ridiculed on here.

The idea that the folk asking about schools have been calmly presenting evidence and have been met with fire and brimstone from posters who have kids is laughable. It's been a blend of VT acting like VT, and some tag along trolling morons.

The only person I have seen posting regularly on the subject who fits the mould of Dunnings post is Honest_Man who doesnt seem to have resorted to repeatedly posting the same shit and trolling the thread.

6 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I don’t really understand why some people are getting so wound up about the school thing. Clearly it is causing an increase in cases (probably more so than other things) but it is clear they won’t be shutting unless absolutely necessary. What difference does it make if the government say they think schools are low risk. It is what it is. Unless i am missing something.

I think the main issue is the governments failure to acknowledge that opening schools has contributed to the increase in cases.  We all knew this would happen but its their refusal to even acknowledge it that is boiling peoples piss.

At the same time they're happy transferring blame to pubs, restaurants gyms etc.   Its double standards and again is not part of the promised adult conversation we were promised.

We know the importance of keeping schools open for both the economy and educational purposes.  Just be honest.

Edited by Tynierose

7 minutes ago, Aufc said:

If I ever get to the stage where I just accept sweeping statements from the likes of Sridhar and Leitch because "It is what it is" I'll probably call it a day tbh.

Unselfish parents are quite rightly concerned about their children bringing the virus home and unwittingly infecting themselves or more vulnerable members of the family and wider community. 

It is possible to think schools closing or being restricted like every other sector of society would both be a logistical nightmare and cause financial issues but also necessary to keep the wider population safer than they are now.

It's an absolute scandal that a sector in Scotland with 700,000 pupils and 50,000 teachers plus other staff has reopened as a free for all without any surveillance in terms of mass testing.

I think most of us realise that but are pissed off at the government(s) who continue to peddle the nonsense around the issue. I’d be far happier to be treated like a grown up. If there’s to he a trade off between schools being back as an essential thing against a rise in numbers then let’s acknowledge that.

32 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Unsurprisingly among the folk I know who I'm describing in the unpopular opinions thread, she's very popular and is probably an asset to independence whether us hipsters who were into it before it was popular like it or not.

She's too sensitive to hold the public "position" she does. She frantically searches out tweets about herself and attacks people she should just leave be. One day she's going to f**k up massively and that'll be the end of her, so I'm wary of people going down this "doing more good than harm" route. I cringe every time I hear her name, I can't be the only one.

28 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Yeah my wife has gone from soft no to firm yes and fucking loves her.

It's never too late for a divorce.

I think most of us realise that but are pissed off at the government(s) who continue to peddle the nonsense around the issue. I’d be far happier to be treated like a grown up. If there’s to he a trade off between schools being back as an essential thing against a rise in numbers then let’s acknowledge that.

Tbh - it's all politicians who have been pushing the "education is important" line when we all know it's about allowing parents to get back to work.

It's an absolute scandal that a sector in Scotland with 700,000 pupils and 50,000 teachers plus other staff has reopened as a free for all without any surveillance in terms of mass testing.

I wonder if this is why school staff have been selected for the antibody testing. I'll be interested to know the results either way.

23 minutes ago, Aufc said:

It's about honesty, and transparency.

I have no problem with schools remaining open. I understand their importance and, from a selfish point of view, going to work gives me something to do and stops me having a nervous breakdown, as I was very close to doing so in June.

I just want someone to acknowledge that they aren't safe, but they are necessary to allow pupils to be educated and to allow parents back to work.

1 minute ago, super_carson said:

I wonder if this is why school staff have been selected for the antibody testing. I'll be interested to know the results either way.

The teachers in my family have all registered in the last few days.

Hopefully there has been a high take-up amongst all staff across the country.