Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Why are we predicting on producing a vaccine (Conservative estimate admittedly) within the next 18 months? We've had 100 years to find one for the common cold (Linked to the family of corona viruses) and not came anywhere near it. 

Granted - this requires a much more world concentrated effort but it makes the time scale given look extraordinary.

vaccine already been tested successfully on mice apparently, company dealing with it looking for funding to carry on the testing on monkeys reckon we are about 7 months away from a vaccine.

2 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

vaccine already been tested successfully on mice apparently, company dealing with it looking for funding to carry on the testing on monkeys reckon we are about 7 months away from a vaccine.

Australia reckon a previously used medication for HIV will work and if not, something that's became ineffective against Malaria is also smashing it.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-australia-queensland-researchers-find-cure-want-drug-trial/news-story/93e7656da0cff4fc4d2c5e51706accb5

Dunno how reliable if at all that source is but there's promising signs coming out already which flies in the face of our combattal against other, similar diseases.

13 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Why are we predicting on producing a vaccine (Conservative estimate admittedly) within the next 18 months? We've had 100 years to find one for the common cold (Linked to the family of corona viruses) and not came anywhere near it. 

Granted - this requires a much more world concentrated effort but it makes the time scale given look extraordinary.

Courtesy of Wikipedia alone: the common cold isn’t caused by any one virus; there’s about a hundred that produce the same symptoms. It’s completely impractical to vaccinate against them all then.

If a disease is being caused by single strain of virus like this one then you’ve got a decent chance with a vaccine.

I don't get why folk in non essential jobs are still going to their work by the end of this week we should all be locked in our houses for the next few months. As a precaution I got 2 crates of Tennent's.

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Reading online that uv light is being used to sterilise chinese buses. They are also cleaning streets like fucking crazy. Meanwhile over here... nothing.

They were also truncheoning people in the face for breaking quarantine; while practically every old boomer over here is already stating that they’re fine, they’re fitter than everyone else and won’t self isolate when they are eventually told to do so.

We’re going to need more truncheons IMO.

5 minutes ago, 101 said:

I don't get why folk in non essential jobs are still going to their work by the end of this week we should all be locked in our houses for the next few months. As a precaution I got 2 crates of Tennent's.

What you gonna do next week? 

23 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I’m enjoying my my last pints of Vitamin T until the shutdown happens.

I can confirm that Stornoway Tesco has not escaped panic buying. Scenes when the there’s no food left and the ferries are all cancelled. The locals will have to return to the ways of eating mutton and sea birds.

...and each other.

Just got a whatsapp from my bro-in-law in a pub in Perth,with photo showing it's rammed.  He used to study medicine (failed) .

Words fail me.

Just back from my last couple of pints in my local this afternoon.  Place was rammed at 3pm with all the auld cunto Cooncil workers with underlying health conditions (ie 75% of their workforce) complaining that they’d been put on home leave on full pay for 12 weeks and if the pub shut they’d have nothing to do....

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

I'm going out for dinner tonight and then the pub quiz to support local businesses and workers. I'm working through this anyway so there is no point cutting down on going out. 

That's daft, why not 20?

...and each other.

Just got a whatsapp from my bro-in-law in a pub in Perth,with photo showing it's rammed.  He used to study medicine (failed) .
Words fail me.

Tbf I’m not in a pub (I wouldn’t go just now) I’m in the hotel where I’ve been put up for this week of work. Me and my colleague are the only guests [emoji38]

47 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Probably because the "common cold" is not single virus, it's a range of them.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

£330 billion is certainly a big headline number but the specifics about how these policies will help workers - not just businesses - are as clear as mud. Doesn’t help when you have a bumbling, Wodehouse parody acting as messenger in chief.

They should stick it on the side of a bus.