Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

As much as I’d love to join in the pile on, the March lockdown was particularly hard on people who live alone. For a significant period they were basically required to be hermits. I’m not sure on the figures but I’d bet that also disproportionately affected young people as well.

I've got some good friends on here and have some great laughs so that's helped. I've had an objectively excellent year of posting on This Forum so no need to be concerned. 

7 hours ago, renton said:

Anyone been looking at the PHS dashboard?

https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Fairly interesting stuff. You can get all the neighbourhood incidence rates, and the trends for different LAs and healthboards. These are arranged by specimen date, rather than by the date of test announcement. That means it gives a clearer trend of when infections were relative to the lag in the test system - though it obviously makes the last couple of data points more suspect than the daily announced data, since you'd expect more to be added on to those dates as the week progresses.

Still though, if you look at some of the different LAs:

Glasgow City

image.thumb.png.1865c3ea7a87abf250ccd59541355636.png

North Lanarkshire:

image.thumb.png.d5a421815e4ab7895067b0faf15c379e.png

South Lanarkshire:

image.thumb.png.0447aac92351a5a189f04ea0cb51000a.png

Edinburgh City:

image.thumb.png.114ed944b7489fc7477aae8485d8b2ff.png

Dundee City:

image.thumb.png.fb8f5437b6ddb66630aaf22e62da6353.png

Aberdeen City:

image.thumb.png.fce371b58bb36eec526ff3c23038e8ba.png

Looks like Glasgow City may have flattened out, and Lanarkshire might just be starting to slope off a bit. Edinburgh seems to have peaked around the 6th October, and Aberdeen on the 12th. Dundee might have flattened off but isn't showing a decrease in cases yet, albeit it's period of growth didn't take off until a bit later, around the end of September/start of October.

based on that, you could make the case that Edinbrugh should be a tier lower than Glasgow - lower case loads overall and a seemingly decreasing trend, and Aberdeen a tier below Edinburgh. Guess it depends where they decide to stick the west as to where the rest of us end up, relatively speaking.

Still though, this was the really interesting, and probably not surprising statistic - infections by deprivation index:

image.thumb.png.e0d109bbd27973660f6ac67b25b91442.png

Consistently it's the more deprived quintile's that are getting hit hardest. Not a huge surprise I guess, if they are more likely to be doing face to face jobs, and not white collar home working.

Re Edinburgh's graph 

When did the students return to the 4 unis in this city? The unis which have a fair proportion of students from England, coming from such Covid free areas as Manchester...

4 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Re Edinburgh's graph 

When did the students return to the 4 unis in this city? The unis which have a fair proportion of students from England, coming from such Covid free areas as Manchester...

The number of university clusters are decreasing.

It's almost as if another sector of society is driving the surge in Covid infections!

4 hours ago, buchan30 said:

Why has Glasgow and Lanarkshire been so badly effected by this? Have folk just not been following the guidelines or is it because its a densely populated area?

One factor, and perhaps the major factor, is that parts of Glasgow and Lanarkshire had pretty poor health stats compared to the rest of Scotland before Covid in terms of obesity, heart attacks, etc. The virus is just spreading faster through an unhealthier population.

I don't suppose there aren't many teetotal, non smoking vegetarians on here so we could all do with being a little bit healthier, myself included. 

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

With strict orders to restrict numbers and enforce social distancing, and be closed down if they don't, like in Sweden? Yeah, probably. 

😂 you've either not seen any pictures or videos from sweden lately, or you choose to ignore them

More anti lockdown protests in Italy. This time in Rome.

Again, as in Naples, the police appear to be sympathetic to the protesters, and join with them.

Over here, we shrug our shoulders and happily plan on voting for those imposing the pointless, yet damaging, measures, because "what can you do"

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Again, as in Naples, the police appear to be sympathetic to the protesters, and join with them.

Over here, we shrug our shoulders and happily plan on voting for those imposing the pointless, yet damaging, measures, because "what can you do"

We (the majority) also vote for Brexit, Boris, the Union, let the City of London spivs rip off our pensions, read the Daily Mail, favour retention of the Monarchy and make Ed Sheeran a millionaire so good luck with your revolution.

20 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

😂 you've either not seen any pictures or videos from sweden lately, or you choose to ignore them

Dont take his word for. Here's what the Swedish ministry of health says. In here you'll find listed their pretty tight regulations for opening restaurants etc etc Don't forget their health care system succeeded by executing the elderly infected in their care home beds and banning all hospital treatment for anyone that was a bit too fat. Definitely something worth putting on a pedastel. 

https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/the-public-health-agency-of-sweden/communicable-disease-control/covid-19/

Edited by madwullie

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

Dont take his word for. Here's what the Swedish ministry of health says. In here you'll find listed their pretty tight regulations for opening restaurants etc etc Don't forget their model succeeded by executing the elderly infected in their care home beds and banning all hospital treatment for anyone that was a bit too fat. 

https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/the-public-health-agency-of-sweden/communicable-disease-control/covid-19/

They may very well say that, but the reality is that compliance is low, and it appears to be loosely, if at all, enforced.

20201027_001048.jpg

20201027_001227.jpg

17 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Forza Nuovo. Another smashing bunch of jesters

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20201025-far-right-protesters-clash-with-rome-police-over-virus-curfew

Edit: it seems their main beef is a curfew, rather than a generic measures complaintm

Edited by madwullie

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

They may very well say that, but the reality is that compliance is low, and it appears to be loosely, if at all, enforced.

20201027_001048.jpg

20201027_001227.jpg

That'll probably explain why their cases are sky rocketing. Absolutely every piece of evidence we have from the pandemic so far suggests that now deaths will start to track hospitalisations which have already tracked cases. 

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Forza Nuovo. Another smashing bunch of jesters

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20201025-far-right-protesters-clash-with-rome-police-over-virus-curfew

Edit: it seems their main beef is a curfew, rather than a generic measures complaintm

You really do just ignore anything you see with your that doesn't suit your POV.

It's impressive. I'll give you that.

33 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

One factor, and perhaps the major factor, is that parts of Glasgow and Lanarkshire had pretty poor health stats compared to the rest of Scotland before Covid in terms of obesity, heart attacks, etc. The virus is just spreading faster through an unhealthier population.

I don't suppose there aren't many teetotal, non smoking vegetarians on here so we could all do with being a little bit healthier, myself included. 

Just me I think. I’m too uncool for here really 

7 minutes ago, madwullie said:

That'll probably explain why their cases are sky rocketing. Absolutely every piece of evidence we have from the pandemic so far suggests that now deaths will start to track hospitalisations which have already tracked cases. 

Except from here, of course, where deaths and serious cases have fallen (and then flatlined) since early April, regardless of what has been happening with cases.

Screenshot_20201027-003317_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20201027-003254_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20201027-003242_Opera.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

Alternatively, we can look at just how effective lockdowns are by comparing the cases in Scotland to those in Belarus (who did nothing at all), and we can see almost identical timing of 'waves' only the growth in Belarus looks slower. Increased levels of immunity maybe, like with London here?

But, of course closing / putting out of business bars, restaurants, barbers etc in the central belt is definitely the answer, and the SG cannot possibly be wrong because that would mean the majority of governments got it wrong too.

Well... maybe they did.

Screenshot_20201027-004040_Opera.jpg

20201027_004022.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

You really do just ignore anything you see with your that doesn't suit your POV.

It's impressive. I'll give you that.

I'm not ignoring anything. I saw your post about the protests and looked it up and it was reported to be a far right group who were specifically protesting about a curfew. Does that make their protest less relevant? No. Does it make me have less sympathy for them. Yes. Is that how you framed it? No

If anything, it's you who is posting anything that may shade your viewpoint no matter how unsavoury the characters are.

There was a similar protest in London over the weekend 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by madwullie