Coronavirus (COVID-19)

51 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, there's logic there, in that the virus' effect seems related to chronological age, but obviously isn't impacted by educational stage.

I think though that questions on school provision, unless the treatment remains blanket in nature, will have to consider both.

For that reason, I think that considering Y7 -Y11as broadly similar to P7 - S4 makes sense.  Obviously though, the big difference is that in England, those years are educated at the same schools (which is why they'll be statistically divided that way); whereas here that would span both Primary and Secondary.

Surely educational stage does play a part? Secondary schools must be an inherently higher risk as kids are mixing amongst a much larger age group, rather than being with one group of 25 of their peers all week?

3 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Correct, I've voted SNP for as long as I remember but the likes of zealots like Wee Willie put me right off and put off many potential SNP and Indy voters. So blinkered in their views.

There is nothing wrong with questioning and criticism of the SNP, no party gets it right all the time however the view from some on here is that if you do you're automatically anti snp independence etc.

Spot on, I’m English but have lived and worked my whole adult life here. I wouldn’t choose anywhere else to live, but these blinkered idiots are definitely costing independence votes. Gone are the days of banter between us, replaced now with just pure hatred. 

1 minute ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Surely educational stage does play a part? Secondary schools must be an inherently higher risk as kids are mixing amongst a much larger age group, rather than being with one group of 25 of their peers all week?

Well yes, but that has little to do with our discussion about how the years equate to each other or otherwise, between the respective systems. 

I think that equating our P7 to their Y6 is less problematic, than trying to say that their Y11 is like our S5.  It's more like S4.

31 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

That's a cousin of mine just tested positive after an initial negative on the home test. It doesn't surprise me given that the test sounds pretty unpleasant and therefore potentially difficult to administer to yourself.

So many false results because people dont do them correctly. Hope your cousin gets through it alright! 

So it should be Douglas Ross rather than Johnson if the Tories think it?
This is where it gets silly.
Starmer is leader of the opposition in the UK.  As such, he's entitled to a voice on this, whether or not you share his view.
Given that (theoretically, at least), Scottish Labour is autonomous from the wider Labour Party, it's absolutely nothing to do with Starmer.

27 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Correct, I've voted SNP for as long as I remember but the likes of zealots like Wee Willie put me right off and put off many potential SNP and Indy voters. So blinkered in their views.

There is nothing wrong with questioning and criticism of the SNP, no party gets it right all the time however the view from some on here is that if you do you're automatically anti snp independence etc.

Its counter productive.

Personally think the SNP’s strategy for covid has been utterly mince and I say that as a life long voter and former member. Doesnt mean I wont vote for indy etc. 

Its counter productive.

Agreed.

It's absolutely right to question Government, regardless of Partisanship.

I'm a supporter of Independence, and that's about as far as it goes. I don't see the need for any anti-English sentiment or the need to be blindsided by mistakes that the Governing party I am a member of and support.

20 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

So many false results because people dont do them correctly. Hope your cousin gets through it alright! 

Aye I can't really blame them either it does sound grim and obviously difficult to do it properly if that's the case. Thanks, brother. She should be alright but still a bit scary. She takes messages to her ma as well who's been shielding for ages so obvs that's a bit of a panic.

24 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:
1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:
So it should be Douglas Ross rather than Johnson if the Tories think it?
This is where it gets silly.
Starmer is leader of the opposition in the UK.  As such, he's entitled to a voice on this, whether or not you share his view.

Given that (theoretically, at least), Scottish Labour is autonomous from the wider Labour Party, it's absolutely nothing to do with Starmer.

Entirely autonomous?

So if Starmer won a UK General election, he'd have no jurisdiction here?

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

That's a cousin of mine just tested positive after an initial negative on the home test. It doesn't surprise me given that the test sounds pretty unpleasant and therefore potentially difficult to administer to yourself.

My sister did it and found it really difficult to do properly. There are 6 - 8 points you have to sample and you gag on most of them before scraping any saliva.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Even the in person tests you often have to administer yourself. Certainly not an ideal set of circumstances and they are indeed not easy to do. 

Entirely autonomous? So if Starmer won a UK General election, he'd have no jurisdiction here?    

Since it was approved by the party conference in 2016.    

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.stv.tv/politics/1368220-scottish-labour-autonomy-reforms-passed-by-conference%3ftop&amp

"Scottish Labour will now have total control over policy making, including in reserved areas.

The party's Scottish Executive Committee (SEC) will administer membership of local Scottish branches as well as the permanent representative on the NEC with full voting rights."

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

Even the in person tests you often have to administer yourself. Certainly not an ideal set of circumstances and they are indeed not easy to do. 

Are you being monitored at least? I'd imagine that would be the benefit of going in for one.

12 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Really can't believe that we aren't at the very least testing everyone who steps foot in any hospital.
People who were clear are picking it up in hospital while getting treatment for other diseases.
Unacceptable.

Happened to a chap I know. He had cancer, which would have killed him - eventually - but he was in for treatment and got Covid-19. Dead.