Coronavirus (COVID-19)

21 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I’ve only just read that Leitch won a science award. The man that originally said face masks were basically ineffective and then did a u turn, the condescending p***k we have to listen to on TV/Radio adverts 8 months in telling us to wash our hands and stay 2 metres apart. Holy fck as if 2020 couldn’t get any weirder! The “guys” and those appearances on Off the ball really did work wonders! 

He was sharing WHO advice at the time, their advice changed and so did his. Let's not try and use hindsight to call people out.

His early appearances on OtB were really important as is having a familiar face in a public health campaign love him or loath him, he has done important work, not sure about the science award as he keeps saying he is advising the govt I'm not sure how much research he is doing.

19 minutes ago, thisal said:

I was born in Glasgow my brother Leeds, father Scottish mother English.  I've supported Scotland at Hampden and England at Headingly.

9 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

You don’t need to defend yourself here. For someone to ask “Where you were born” just reeks of blood and soil nationalism and should be condemned.

But he supports Scotland at Hampden and England at Headingly. I had tae google that. Bloody cricket!

What happens when Scotland play England at Wembley? or Headingly or anywhere else in England?

Who ye gonnae support?

11 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

If i'm not mistaken, the risk of primary school age children transmitting being lowest is consistent with early papers.

Years 7-11 (which, if i'm not mistaken is P7 - S4) seeing the largest increases, though, should raise concerns, given that the SG only intend to mandate face coverings for S4-6, and only in Level 3 & 4 areas.

Minor point, and I know the conversation has moved beyond this, but years 7-11 is S1-S5.

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

I have no problem with people being English. I have a problem with people dividing themselves up as different nationalities as if it makes the blindest bit of difference. Where were you born, out of interest? 

Can I recommend a BBC documentary called Black and Scottish it's excellent and will help explain better than I could why dividing themselves up is important. 

21 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

But he supports Scotland at Hampden and England at Headingly. I had tae google that. Bloody cricket!

What happens when Scotland play England at Wembley? or Headingly or anywhere else in England?

Who ye gonnae support?

Believe it or not there are cricket fans in Scotland who support the English despite having no connection to England. 

Probably because Scotland have never had a test team.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It doesn't quite equate to either due to different cut-off dates, but it more closely fits with P7 to S4 as already stated.

Does it, though? In terms of school years it's the 8th to the 12th. Obviously in England they have the 1st September age cut off, which is a hard rule, whereas up here it's generally based on the calendar year, with January and February birthdays the parents having the choice. It's not a perfect fit, but I think it's a 2/3 fit to year 7 = S1, and 4/12 to p7 (unless I've worked it out the wrong way).

2 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Does it, though? In terms of school years it's the 8th to the 12th. Obviously in England they have the 1st September age cut off, which is a hard rule, whereas up here it's generally based on the calendar year, with January and February birthdays the parents having the choice. It's not a perfect fit, but I think it's a 2/3 fit to year 7 = S1, and 4/12 to p7 (unless I've worked it out the wrong way).

It's not the calendar year here; it's end of February/start of March, although sometimes parents choose to keep younger ones back. 

In England the idea of Year 7 being the 8th year is a bit contentious.  The first is often known as Reception, but closely resembles nursery.

In terms of school years, S4 equating to year 11 makes sense as that's when exams are traditionally first sat.  Now obviously, the virus has no more interest in that than it does in the shape of the ball.  However, if decisions are being made about which years to impose restrictions on, then that parallel will come into play.

17 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
33 minutes ago, Lurkst said:
Believe it or not there are cricket fans in Scotland who support the English despite having no connection to England. 
Probably because Scotland have never had a test team.

There are at least 2 of us on this forum.

828D336D-74EE-444D-AD95-D83F11424D90.jpeg.07fafd84757e10248f5e00e036234215.jpeg

33 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

There's yer kier starmer declaring despite Scotland, Wales and NI acting early that there should now be a 4 nation lockdown.

Absolute parody of a parody.

For someone who used to convict terrorists he's about as sharp as a spade. N.I and Wales have been in lockdown already.

19 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's not the calendar year here; it's end of February/start of March, although sometimes parents choose to keep younger ones back. 

In England the idea of Year 7 being the 8th year is a bit contentious.  The first is often known as Reception, but closely resembles nursery.

In terms of school years, S4 equating to year 11 makes sense as that's when exams are traditionally first sat.  Now obviously, the virus has no more interest in that than it does in the shape of the ball.  However, if decisions are being made about which years to impose restrictions on, then that parallel will come into play.

The deferral rate for January and February birthdays was 44% in 2018, so it's a significant amount that are held back the year.

S1 and Year 7 are both the first year of secondary school, and have the biggest age overlap (6 months plus a proportion of a further 2). That's the angle I was taking in them being the most comparable.