Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Or he could just not talk to people like they are children. It's really not hard.
He's talking about a virus not being able to survive on wrapping paper, not about why lowering the control rods caused the reactor at Chernobyl to explode.

Seeing the number of simpletons paraded on vox pops saying they don't understand the rules would indicate otherwise.

Because from what ive heard from the health board theyre fannying about, oh we cant have a meeting until this date because im annual leave type stuff. Just get it done. Dont need to have meetings about meetings, just get it done. 
This is hardly surprising given how deep we are into the crisis of our times and still report cases and deaths differently over a weekend

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Seeing the number of simpletons paraded on vox pops saying they don't understand the rules would indicate otherwise.

I don't think TV News vox pops are a good indicator of the general public.  

Reporting Scotland absolutely love a vox pop.  A few years ago when Edinburgh Zoo was attempting to get their panda preganant they ventured out into the centre of Edinburgh and asked people what they thought of the artificial insemination of pandas.  What did they think people were going to say?

Another classic was when there had been a rape in a park, I can't remember where.  They did a vox pop of locals, asking them what they thought of it.  They all said, wait for it, that it was terrible and they hoped the police caught the guy who did it.  Amazing stuff, back to Jackie in the studio.

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

I mean I'm clearly just a simp because

"

It likes shinier surfaces better than rough surfaces: it likes glass, plastic worktops and it also quite likes shared utensils but it doesn’t like wrapping paper, cards, envelopes, post.

"It dies very quickly on rougher surfaces such as that so you shouldn’t worry about Christmas presents in any deep, real way.”

seems like useful info to me that is the kind of thing people who don't analyse every Sikora tweet will be concerned about around xmas

Wait, what - you think that there is a useful scientific message behind the statement that a virus 'likes shinier surfaces better than rough ones'? Shinier?

Fucking hell we are truly through the looking glass now.

IMG_1566034068.646287.jpg.e6be8951c88d9744a4841c805cf55019.jpg

Regarding the vaccine. Even in London the going hourly rate is only around £12 an hour. You are only injecting into muscle so pretty hard to fuckk it up.
Interestingly just because it is almost a minimum wage job there will be quite a number of health professionals taking the posts. Self employed dental hygienists in the private sector who still do not have their hours back are quite happy at £12 an hour top up to their 80% SEISS grants. This replicates the test and trace system and many self employed are hugely profiting from the pandemic.

33 minutes ago, Snafu said:

You are probably right and its going to completely undermine all the restrictions up to then, what we've all had to go through this year and will probably kick off an extended restrictive period that will likely take us to exactly a year when we had a full lockdown, make more people ill and like kill a few more and for what?

It will probably be the most violent Christmas and New Year ever and our A&Es around the country are going to get overwhelmed to breaking point.

All of the above seems completely overblown. I don't think that the changes make much sense but is five days of some shan three household bubble going on really going to lead to a three month lockdown? I don't see how you came up with that, never mind your claim about the most violent festive period ever and A and Es being overwhelmed.

16 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Classic 9 year old reading age on display here.

My exact comment at the time was along the lines of "whether you agree with them or not, the restrictions in place at the time should remain"

Nothing I've said here contradicts that statement.

PS they were the 9th highest

Just as a pedantic point your exact comment, by definition, can't be "along the lines" of anything. 

We've (I've) decided to postpone the big family Christmas to Easter. No way am I encouraging plague carriers from Lanarkshire and London up to the Highlands, even if Boris and Nicola say it's allowed, with a vaccine on the way.

24 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I have no scientific evidence for this but it wouldn't surprise me if fomite transmission turns out to be far less important than aerosol transmission.  

That's it, I'm never going to wash my hands again, whatever wee nippy says.

Is there any research on literacy levels among Scottish adults?  We once had a visitor and my wee boy carried a book to them for it to be read and they could barely read it, they were very, very lacking in confidence reading a book out loud.  This is someone with a responsible job and a degree.  I have a friend who had someone completely illiterate in their antenatal group, literally unable to read at all.

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Is there any research on literacy levels among Scottish adults?  We once had a visitor and my wee boy carried a book to them for it to be read and they could barely read it, they were very, very lacking in confidence reading a book out loud.  This is someone with a responsible job and a degree.  I have a friend who had someone completely illiterate in their antenatal group, literally unable to read at all.

That could be down to undiagnosed dyslexia, years ago many so called illiterates would have been undiagnosed dyslexics. 

15 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I googled this off the back of 101's post earlier. Around 73% apparantly

Edited by Todd_is_God

42 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I have no scientific evidence for this but it wouldn't surprise me if fomite transmission turns out to be far less important than aerosol transmission.  

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30678-2/fulltext

47 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I don't think TV News vox pops are a good indicator of the general public.  

Reporting Scotland absolutely love a vox pop.  A few years ago when Edinburgh Zoo was attempting to get their panda preganant they ventured out into the centre of Edinburgh and asked people what they thought of the artificial insemination of pandas.  What did they think people were going to say?

Another classic was when there had been a rape in a park, I can't remember where.  They did a vox pop of locals, asking them what they thought of it.  They all said, wait for it, that it was terrible and they hoped the police caught the guy who did it.  Amazing stuff, back to Jackie in the studio.

Reporting Scotland last night somehow managed to find (and put on camera) the one person who has family in Shetland and will be impacted by the 5 day limitation to travel, so he won't be going home.  Can't believe (!) that they were totally unable to find a single person (from the probable 1000's) who is happy that they'll be able to travel to visit friends or family for the first time in months. 

I developed a hatred of reading out loud after my 4th year English teacher kept shouting at me to speak correctly and to lose my accent.

Even now I tend now to read out loud unless I have no choice.