Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, welshbairn said:

I think they said that the 10% got much milder symptoms, nobody got the full horror.

Even better then! Of course though, there's a much larger specimen sample when rolling out to an entire population so I'd still be very shocked - pleasantly so -  if cases didn't spike in the short term.

There will be some people who have reactions to the vaccine.  It's important that we are calm about that.  There will also be people who are vaccinated and then contract Covid, some may get it seriously and some of them will probably die of it.  This is expected and we shouldn't overreact.  I do think that in a few weeks and months we'll see more of these stories.
Spot on. Anyone who is under any illusion that the vaccines will completely eradicate Covid is at it.

I feel the media should have a responsibility to make this clear and when the inevitable bad case / death does come about they need to report on it properly. I don't hold out much hope though and fully expect to see at least one "VACCINE DOESN'T WORK!!!!!1111! 1!!1" headline within the next couple of months.

After their "MUTANT COVID" headline my money is on The Metro.

I wonder does this mean the Euros with crowds could be a goer?
It probably depends on how other countries get on with their vaccinations given the Euros is being held all over the place.

In saying that, I'm now much more hopeful of getting to London at the end of June.

Out of interest, why is the Oxford jag considerably cheaper than the others coming in at £3 per dose compared to Moderna's £25 and Pfizer's £15? 

Is it to do with the need of keeping the others at a certain temperature or what? Or are the other two charging for profit? What's the script?

25 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If it takes 3 months before you get the second dose and the furlough is available until April(?), for maximum banter do you think we'll have Tier 4 restrictions until then?

If the nasty new variant doesn't go wild up here I'm hoping D&G and Highland at least will be back at level 1 by mid January.

Going to be a lot of folk pissed off when hancocks "over by spring" comment doesnt happen.I file it in the same box as the "better by june" "over by xmas" comments,lets just get it rolled out and everybody vaccinated that needs to be before in a timely manner 

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Out of interest, why is the Oxford jag considerably cheaper than the others coming in at £3 per dose compared to Moderna's £25 and Pfizer's £15? 

Is it to do with the need of keeping the others at a certain temperature or what? Or are the other two charging for profit? What's the script?

It's a completely different technology. Pfizer is also charging a profit, much more to the UK and US than the EU btw. Oxford say they won't, for initial deliveries at least, and to the 3rd world.

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Different approach involved. Oxford use a more traditional approach with a modified chimpanzee virus, while the other two use a new modified mRNA technology.

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

I've succumbed and offered to do some extra weekends doing the vaccines.    Just want this shitshow to end.  If I survive my second vaccine next week.

I'm not that much of  humanitarian mind you, one I'm getting paid and secondly I have placed the caveat of no old firm fans on my list.

They are the real virus.

37 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

This genuinely feels like a key moment in this whole thing. The Pfizer vaccine was obviously good news but the Oxford vaccine was always going to be the game changer.

Get me injected pronto - I've got a year's worth of pints to catch up on and about 6 months worth of dog's abuse to shout at Ricki Lamie and Bevis Mugabi.

Then I for one hope there's a terrible mix-up at the clinic and you get the live Ebola jag instead.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's a completely different technology. Pfizer is also charging a profit, much more to the UK and US than the EU btw. Oxford say they won't, for initial deliveries at least, and to the 3rd world.

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Different approach involved. Oxford use a more traditional approach with a modified chimpanzee virus, while the other two use a new modified mRNA technology.

Thanks!

If the nasty new variant doesn't go wild up here I'm hoping D&G and Highland at least will be back at level 1 by mid January.
For selfish reasons I'd be happy even with Tier 3. Never thought I'd be gutted being off work so long.

2 main points for me. Blair and other scientists were clearly correct that one dose for twice as many people, and an enforced bigger gap to dose 2 is the most effective route forward.
This should ensure the race to everyone over 50 with at least 1 dose is reached a month earlier than forecast.

Regarding the Pfizer vaccine. I know of people not just with severe allergies not being vaccinated. A friend was denied as they are regularly prescribed anti histamine for a simple allergy. For those not in the know this is what us millions of hay fever sufferers use at 99p a pack from Aldi. Hopefully this level of caution does not apply to Astrazenica.

They (NS and BJ) seem to be saying the spring for Level 0 type conditions. In some ways it is good there is no detailed road map because doing so would be claiming a level of knowledge that would be more about PR rather than science. The main rate limiting factor is how quickly vaccine vials can be supplied by Pfizer and AstraZeneca and that is outside their control.
BBC have had two professor types on this morning. First lady said 4 months to get 1st doses and 12 weeks between doses with full restrictions in place until last of the 2nd doses were given so probably about June. Second chap seemed to be a cancer expert but he said hands, face, space will need to be in place after vaccination.

I think it's fair to say that even within medical circles there are huge differences of opinion on relaxation !!!

1 minute ago, MP_MFC said:
4 minutes ago, virginton said:
Then I for one hope there's a terrible mix-up at the clinic and you get the live Ebola jag instead.

There will be a thousand like us to take his place.

Just as well that it's highly transmittable between the lot of you then.