Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

It's a basket case of a country. It's all too believable sadly.

The UK is one of the drivers of anti-vaccine conpsiracism, I don't think we have any cause to look down on other countries.  The MMR controversy came from the UK and that's the Rosetta Stone of modern anti-vaccination conspiracy.

The Nightingale Hospitals in England are being readied, according to the news just now.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I would prefer, and expect, our politicians to closely monitor the effectiveness of the vaccine as well as the myriad of other factors before making predictions as to how and when restrictions will change.  That would be a mature, considered approach that any rational person would support.  I certainly wouldn’t want predictions made that had to be rowed back as a further unforeseen complication came to light as already has happened as we address the most serious health issue in our lifetimes.

Of course some folk will be baying for early predictions from the SG and will be the first to denounce them if further complications make the predictions impossible to meet.

Whilst you're right that the effectiveness of the vaccine should be monitored, the vaccine has been approved for use in the UK.

On the strength of that, at this particular juncture, it would seem perfectly reasonable to make some kind of plan / prediction for the months ahead. In every industry plans, timescales, deadlines, programmes etc are worked to - granted there's sometimes hiccups along the way. But I don't see why this should be any different really.

Just now, ICTChris said:

The UK is one of the drivers of anti-vaccine conpsiracism, I don't think we have any cause to look down on other countries.  The MMR controversy came from the UK and that's the Rosetta Stone of modern anti-vaccination conspiracy.

The Nightingale Hospitals in England are being readied, according to the news just now.

Oh I understand that. That said given the impact Covid will have had on their lives I'd be surprised if 60% of care home workers in UK turned down the vaccine. Time will tell I guess. 

Cant understand why folk arent seeing the importance of government messaging here. Say I own a business that's marginal under restrictions

Furlough ends in April.

I cant wait till after April to "see how case loads are" to decide what to do with my livelihood ffs. 

We will undoubtedly see businesses packing up shop whilst ICU wards are empty if the government continue with this ridiculous caution. 

Epidemiologist on bbc radio this morning said that in order to vaccinate the 20 million at risk people they would need to do a million a week. This would take until June.
This is x6 the rate they are currently vaccinating but hopefully the new vaccine will be easier for logistics.

25 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Epidemiologist on bbc radio this morning said that in order to vaccinate the 20 million at risk people they would need to do a million a week. This would take until June.
This is x6 the rate they are currently vaccinating but hopefully the new vaccine will be easier for logistics.

I don't believe a word these "experts" say with their new fangled arithmetic. 20 million has to be a very low threshold for what "at risk" means. 

34 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Cant understand why folk arent seeing the importance of government messaging here. Say I own a business that's marginal under restrictions

Furlough ends in April.

I cant wait till after April to "see how case loads are" to decide what to do with my livelihood ffs. 

We will undoubtedly see businesses packing up shop whilst ICU wards are empty if the government continue with this ridiculous caution. 

They're jam packed full down south at the moment, something nobody predicted. It would be nice to have certainty but it just isn't there. 

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

They're jam packed full down south at the moment, something nobody predicted. It would be nice to have certainty but it just isn't there. 

Tbf, I dont think I have been talking certainties. One might assume that vaccines will lower hospital loads. The govt could come out and say that restrictions will be eased on that basis. Thats not what they are saying though. They are flip flopping between normal by spring and SD cant be dropped, basically ever, or at least allowing these mixed messages to propagate without issuing any clarification 

Tbf, I dont think I have been talking certainties. One might assume that vaccines will lower hospital loads. The govt could come out and say that restrictions will be eased on that basis. Thats not what they are saying though. They are flip flopping between normal by spring and SD cant be dropped, basically ever, or at least allowing these mixed messages to propagate without issuing any clarification 
I guess they don't know how the vaccine will go and how quick they will be able to administer it.
It will be until summer before enough vaccine is rolled out to make a huge difference. To say everything will be OK by spring is a nonsense.

I guess they don't know how the vaccine will go and how quick they will be able to administer it.
It will be until summer before enough vaccine is rolled out to make a huge difference. To say everything will be OK by spring is a nonsense.
And this is based on what exactly?

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I assume you feel your reason for being there was fine, but everyone else is the issue?

Yep. Families clogging up the aisles blethering to other families for a start. 

And this is based on what exactly?
See previous post. The most vulnerable (20 million) to be vaccinated at the rate of a million a week will take until June.
This is six times faster than current levels.
Who knows perhaps the government will get this right and with the new vaccine being able to store in a normal fridge then things will speed up.
Judging on past performance and lies then im guessing it will take until the summer before things start to change.
Who knows what else can happen before then, maybe better treatments and medicine?
Testing and track and trace could help as well.
If everything is back to normal in March then I'd be shocked. Its extremely unlikely.
Impossible imo.