Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

It won’t be eradicated. 

Yes, hence someone is going to have to make that call some point soon. At the moment though, I'm not sure its something that certainly the public health advisors will want to admit.

Just now, renton said:

Yes, hence someone is going to have to make that call some point soon. At the moment though, I'm not sure its something that certainly the public health advisors will want to admit.

Did the WHO not basically admit it’ll be endemic? I don’t think there’s any real chance of us pursuing an eradication policy. 

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
8 minutes ago, renton said:
Any particular secret to their high rate?

Probably treating it with the gravity it deserves rather than a Monday to Friday inconvenience tbh.

Helps, I suppose that they aren't including the Palestinian population in their calculations.

9 minutes ago, renton said:

Difference between eradicating a disease and having an endemic low threat disease I guess. 

Public health officials will obviously favour the former. At this point it won't happen but you can see how that thinking drives the current communications out of government.

It's not the responsibility of the Government, or the rest of the population, to go to such extremes to try to prevent someone catching a virus that might knock them for six for a week. Ludicrous.

Once those most at risk of serious illness who can / want to be vaccinated have been then if's time to move on.

It's frightening how quickly and easily people swallow, regurgitate, and seemingly support this pish.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Right from the very early days of this nightmare world leaders talked about a “new normal”. With an end hopefully now in sight, albeit some months ahead and with difficult times still to come, we absolutely should not return to the ‘old normal’.

We have endured far too much to simply treat it all as a blip in the passage of world history.

We will have failed miserably if we don’t stop and consider why our NHS needed protecting to the level that it did and take steps to ensure that it is never again placed under such strain.

We will have failed miserably if we don’t stop and consider why the state so utterly failed so many people and so many industries. We need to ensure that we have a welfare state fit for purpose. A welfare state that actually protects the most vulnerable in society when they need it most.

We will have failed miserably if we don’t stop and consider how we treat the older members of our society. Leaving the care of those that require residential care in the hands of those whose priority is profit not people should no longer be acceptable.

We will have failed miserably if Neil Doncaster still remains in place as cockwomble in chief of the SPFL.

Okay that last one is just for me.

As we end an utterly miserable year I want, on a personal note, 2021 to be a year where I again take pleasure in the things and the people I love whether that is inside a football ground, theatre, restaurant, gig venue, pub or just sitting on the couch at home with a drink in hand and the company of good friends.

Above all else though I hope 2021 is a year that sees a more compassionate, more caring society.

Happy New Year.

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's not the responsibility of the Government, or the rest of the population, to go to such extremes to try to prevent someone catching a virus that might knock them for six for a week. Ludicrous.

Once those most at risk of serious illness who can / want to be vaccinated have been then if's time to move on.

It's frightening how quickly and easily people swallow, regurgitate, and seemingly support this pish.

I've already said that once hospitalisations and deaths drop away restrictions should cease. I'm simply trying to understand why the various governments are taking the tack they are.

4 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

Right from the very early days of this nightmare world leaders talked about a “new normal”. With an end hopefully now in sight, albeit some months ahead and with difficult times still to come, we absolutely should not return to the ‘old normal’.

We have endured far too much to simply treat it all as a blip in the passage of world history.

We will have failed miserably if we don’t stop and consider why our NHS needed protecting to the level that it did and take steps to ensure that it is never again placed under such strain.

We will have failed miserably if we don’t stop and consider why the state so utterly failed so many people and so many industries. We need to ensure that we have a welfare state fit for purpose. A welfare state that actually protects the most vulnerable in society when they need it most.

We will have failed miserably if we don’t stop and consider how we treat the older members of our society. Leaving the care of those that require residential care in the hands of those whose priority is profit not people should no longer be acceptable.

We will have failed miserably if Neil Doncaster still remains in place as cockwomble in chief of the SPFL.

As we end an utterly miserable year I want, on a personal note, 2021 to be a year where I again take pleasure in the things and the people I love whether that is inside a football ground, theatre, restaurant, gig venue, pub or just sitting on the couch at home with a drink in hand and the company of good friends.

Above all else though I hope 2021 is a year that sees a more compassionate, more caring society.

Happy New Year.

0E5F4072-9E59-4FE9-95B2-A1A5B5D1DF81.gif

14 minutes ago, renton said:

Difference between eradicating a disease and having an endemic low threat disease I guess. 

Public health officials will obviously favour the former. At this point it won't happen but you can see how that thinking drives the current communications out of government.

If virtually everyone on the planet gets an effective vaccine I'd have thought there would be a fair chance of eradication eventually. Nobody on google seems to know what happened to SARS 1, it just seems to have stopped.

8 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

Happy New Year.

So we shouldn't go back to the "old normal" but you can't wait to do just that?

The difference between what you describe as the "old normal" (underfunded NHS, poor pensions etc) and what politicians mean when they talk about "old normal" is night and day. They mean the things you are looking forward to.

40 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

If the continuing chat around restrictions etc is their way of keeping everyones eye on the ball until the vaccine has been rolled out sufficiently then you would have to say in a year where the govt and media have been shite at a lot of stuff, they are remarkably shite at this.

If it's legit, and they intend to use what were emergency powers in a non emergency situation they can sook my Wang if they think il be following any ongoing restrictions. Problem is, whilst I can go back to having family and friends in my house, that doesnt help business and industries getting thrown on the scrapheap.

If there are still restrictions in May, my disdain for that overreach will likely trump my desire to allow SNP to continue in charge to chase Indyref2. That sounds quite extreme maybe but it's how I feel currently. I remain hopeful that pressure will start growing on restrictions even by the end of January.

This is my thinking exactly. As soon as we see hospitalisation and death rates reduce to relatively low numbers and the NHS can operate fully again, then it needs to be no restrictions and everything open. At that point I will be ignoring all restrictions they still attempt to have (other than hand washing as I’m not a dirty b*****d & mask wearing if they still want that) and will be visiting family and friends in as many numbers as I want, and travelling anywhere I want. The issue though is as you say it doesn’t help the industries that would continue to be destroyed by unnecessary restrictions.

28 minutes ago, renton said:

Any particular secret to their high rate?

They are vaccinating 24/7 and obviously their population is fairly small and compact. Combine that with national service so they have a plethora of army medics and people the staff pop up stations and all topped off with the current prime minister having to fight a 3rd election in 2 years all all mean that the ground work and political punch is there to push this on.

Also they are talking about a passport for vaccinated people the basically have a normal life again and I would imagine that conspiracy theories aren't as prevalent in Israel due to about 90% of them to come from Anti Semitic beliefs so people are willing to get jabed

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If virtually everyone on the planet gets an effective vaccine I'd have thought there would be a fair chance of eradication eventually. 

I would imagine you are correct. But that's years away. We should not be talking about their being a potential need to continue living with restrictions until that point.

20 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

Happy New Year.

Ask for some World Peace while you’re at it.

Are you hoping 3 ghosts have visited every Tory voter in the country?

Happy New Year.

I can’t help but feel a lot of you are getting your knickers in a twist over nothing. Once we’ve vaccinated the elderly and the vulnerable, restrictions will drop to a Tier 1 style thing at worst. Expectation right now is that’ll be April/May. Once the vaccine is into a certain amount of the younger population, life in the UK will have either zero or very limited restrictions, probably from about July/August if vaccination schedules work out.

That’s all presuming, of course, the vaccines work as intended. Early signs are very promising - “JVT” (we thought Leitch was an egomaniac?) said yesterday two patients who’ve had one Pfizer dose have presented to hospital with Covid, and both are thought to have had it before the vaccine. That’s beyond our wildest dreams, if Covid is out there and nobody gets ill, transmission still happening literally doesn’t matter to countries who’ve been vaccinated. Travel might be a bit weird but we’d all take that right now.

As I’ve said before amongst the Christmas shenanigans I think it was really lost just how bad this new strain is in terms of spread. I can’t help but feel Scotland and most likely the rest of the UK is stuck in an indefinite Tier 4 until we hit a tipping point with the vaccine. I’d be surprised to see Scottish secondary schools returning in January, primaries may or may not. The UK Gov appear determined to be a bit more gung-ho which may force the hand up here but it wouldn’t surprise me if they do yet another u-turn on that score.

“Keep the heid” is more relevant now than ever. The end is in sight, but it’s going to be a hard fucking slog to get there.

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

They are vaccinating 24/7 and obviously their population is fairly small and compact. Combine that with national service so they have a plethora of army medics and people the staff pop up stations and all topped off with the current prime minister having to fight a 3rd election in 2 years all all mean that the ground work and political punch is there to push this on.

Also they are talking about a passport for vaccinated people the basically have a normal life again and I would imagine that conspiracy theories aren't as prevalent in Israel due to about 90% of them to come from Anti Semitic beliefs so people are willing to get jabed

A militarised society is a happy and effective society.

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

So we shouldn't go back to the "old normal" but you can't wait to do just that?

The difference between what you describe as the "old normal" (underfunded NHS, poor pensions etc) and what politicians mean when they talk about "old normal" is night and day. They mean the things you are looking forward to.

Are you really as moronic as you often appear?