Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Marshmallo said:

That won't open pubs, nightclubs or football grounds at full capacities though, for example. The government need to be more pragmatic than they've given any indication of being thus far.

Nightclubs are a nightmare perfect atmosphere for a virus to spread from glasses, keys, eating the face off someone combine that with poor ventilation you would need to be sure 99% of people the would attend a nightclub would self isolate if someone tested positive. I for one doubt it. Nightclubs should and will be last to open and I have no idea how you do it, you would need at least every adult vaccinated.

For the others a vaccine for the 50+ good ventilation, hand sanitiser and cashless payments I think would all keep the risk so low that it would open as normal. Otherwise during a flu season we would all come down with the flu assuming it's spread from coughing and sneezing.

4 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The worry is that dafties will get the vaccine and think they can instantly stop social distancing and wearing a mask.

Well, surely by the time it gets around to the 'dafties' as you so eloquently put it, the weak and vulnerable in society who will know to continue social distancing will have long since had their vaccines, so really, there should be no reason for said 'dafties' to continue with restrictions as the people we are all restricting to protect should be immune by that point...

Prof Van-Tam adds that "we must go as fast as the speed of supplies” and that there shouldn't be supplies of the vaccine waiting to go out

Some sense above from "JVT" at least.

Once the vulnerable are vaccinated, we will see the hospital numbers reflect. At that point, it should be personal assessment of risk.

Holding restrictions in place whilst the NHS is in no danger is unacceptable overstep of government. It's just that simple

7 minutes ago, 101 said:

Nightclubs are a nightmare perfect atmosphere for a virus to spread from glasses, keys, eating the face off someone combine that with poor ventilation you would need to be sure 99% of people the would attend a nightclub would self isolate if someone tested positive. I for one doubt it. Nightclubs should and will be last to open and I have no idea how you do it, you would need at least every adult vaccinated.

For the others a vaccine for the 50+ good ventilation, hand sanitiser and cashless payments I think would all keep the risk so low that it would open as normal. Otherwise during a flu season we would all come down with the flu assuming it's spread from coughing and sneezing.

True, I think I've only had the flu once and that could have just been a very bad cold. It was fucking horrible. And with no vaccine until recently (caring duties, not quite old enough yet to qualify, in a normal year anyway).

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

True, I think I've only had the flu once and that could have just been a very bad cold. It was fucking horrible. And with no vaccine until recently (caring duties, not quite old enough yet to qualify, in a normal year anyway).

Falkirk is of course extra ventilated thanks to being 3 sided ;) sorry couldn't resist.

You can always pay around £10 for the flu jab at any chemists worth it imo.

40 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

It's all over 50s, conditions or not in that timescale Freeman gave. No numbers or more specific dates just end Spring so yes that technically is end May

...which if two doses up to 12 weeks apart are involved would fit having things a lot closer to normal by spring once the higher risk group have all had the first jag. 70% efficacy on a single dose with almost no hospitalisations for those that do still catch it. Potentially up to 95% effective after the second dose.

41 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

'Schools are safe, the issue is mixing within schools of households in high infection areas.'🙈

Our PM ladies and gentlemen. 

I live in Greenwch and teach in Lewisham, two of the 'safe' London boroughs which won't be closing primary schools. In the week before Christmas, we had to close as 17 staff were self isolating, another 8 had tested positive and one was in hospital on oxygen.

The boroughs directly to the north, east, south and west are all too dangerous to open schools apparently (even though some of them have lower case rates), so I'm expecting to see some border controls on Monday. Floating mines on the Thames, blowing up Surrey Canal bridge, that sort of thing.

Here's a map showing the madness of this. The green areas are the 'safe' ones:

Edited by Carl Cort's Hamstring

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Falkirk is of course extra ventilated thanks to being 3 sided ;) sorry couldn't resist.

You can always pay around £10 for the flu jab at any chemists worth it imo.

Ha ha. :babe2 I've qualified for a free one the last few years because of looking after elderly parents.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

On this point. See when we do go back to work and that as normal, hopefully this will be the end of having to go to work with a head-splitting cold and coughing/sneezing all over offices just so you don't need to phone in. My employers have been utterly shite on this point since forever.

Last year prior to the pandemic I asked if I could work from home one day (we've had people WFH here and there on set days for ages) because I was howking up a kilo of phlegm on an hourly basis and was told if I wasn't well enough to come in to the office I wasn't well enough to work and would need to take an absence. 4 absences in an 18 month period is a disclipinary regardless of actual time off where being off for a day or a week makes no difference so I went to work to save these days for occasions where I might actually be very unwell.

Stupid c***s will have to think differently from now on and avoid people having to make that kind of decision to go and infect their colleagues.

29 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If everyone (or enough people) are vaccinated, transmission becomes a non-issue. Surely this is obvious to them. This is a lot of what my issue has been for several weeks, these 'advisors' either hedge their bets or offer up information that simply doesn't add up under scrutiny.

The comparison point for me is what the likes of van Tam, Sridhar would be saying right now if we didn't have three functioning vaccines - if all the attempts to produce one had ended an utter failure. What would have been their advice based on The Science in that entirely plausible scenario, a dejected return to the Stone Age? That they're still trotting in this hand wringing 'yes but' nonsense shows that these clowns now need to be thanked for the efforts and shown the door.

- Close schools where there is community transmission (catch up later). 

- Tell folk to shield who should be doing so

- Vaccinate like f**k

- Open up based on ICU levels and not based on how many 20 year olds have got a cough

-

Spoiler

That's it.

Edited by vikingTON

3 minutes ago, Snafu said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/outrage-after-footage-shows-christmas-23239014

Outrage after footage shows Christmas bash at Scots nightclub linked to new coronavirus cases

TBF all I can see there is people sitting at tables, the one person standing up is masked so I don't get what the big outrage is.

I highly doubt the household rules is being adhered to at the tables but that's par for the course.

5 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I live in Greenwch and teach in Lewisham, two of the 'safe' London boroughs which won't be closing primary schools. In the week before Christmas, we had to close as 17 staff were self isolating, another 8 had tested positive and one was in hospital on oxygen.

The boroughs directly to the north, east, south and west are all too dangerous to open schools apparently (even though some of them have lower case rates), so I'm expecting to see some border controls on Monday. Floating mines on the Thames, blowing up Surrey Canal bridge, that sort of thing.

Someone posted this a few pages back. There's a thread. It's fucking insane.

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

TBF all I can see there is people sitting at tables, the one person standing up is masked so I don't get what the big outrage is.

I highly doubt the household rules is being adhered to at the tables but that's par for the course.

But they were serving pizza to 'get around' (see: comply with) the rules so close it down and jail all staff, punters and taxi drivers who were in the vicinity IMO.

11 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Attack Kamchatka from Yakutsk

The wife is a domestic at 2 schools in the area, and both schools have had confirmed cases, but she is never told which classes or years the cases have been in. A lot of the pupils can be passing her in the corridors as she is going into clean classrooms after they exit, so surely she should be a bit more privvy to any information??

There are a few folk absolutely ripping the arse out the support bubbles. Its like most things though, there’s always a small minority of arseholes to ruin something. 
Aye what I was getting at. It's a tough one making a judgement call if you're a single person household but they be the breaks.

16 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Being as the pictures were taken from behind the bar I'd imagine the house CCTV will tell them who the philpy  Lee Wallace taking the pictures was.

Edited by welshbairn

The wife is a domestic at 2 schools in the area, and both schools have had confirmed cases, but she is never told which classes or years the cases have been in. A lot of the pupils can be passing her in the corridors as she is going into clean classrooms after they exit, so surely she should be a bit more privvy to any information??

You should grass up the hiedies