Coronavirus (COVID-19)

This 'JVT' patter gives me the dry boak.
Yip, measures can only be reduced if the vaccine reduces transmission is a real shift of goal posts especially as he admits it will take months of studying those vaccinated to determine that.

Why didn't the journo follow up by asking WHY ? Or What's the point of the vaccine if it doesn't return us to some sense of normality.

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I completely agree but that logic went out the window in the summer with the "zero covid" horse shit when we were in single figure case numbers.

With the zero covid thing, I do wonder what would have happened had we kept the borders shut, and largely reduced the border with England to essential travel only. And still had them shut today.

Still, I think you are right in so far as Sturgeon won't declare a free for all once we get down to near zero hospitalisations. I suspect at that point we will go into z tier 1/0 type setting across the board. Still doing some management of contacts until you get everyone at least a single dose - probably the Summer.

Not saying I agree with that, and personally I think once you have managed the risk to the NHS to minimal levels, and with it excess deaths then we are probably looking at the damn thing being endemic anyway.

Just now, Billy Jean King said:

Yip, measures can only be reduced if the vaccine reduces transmission is a real shift of goal posts especially as he admits it will take months of studying those vaccinated to determine that.

Why didn't the journo follow up by asking WHY ? Or What's the point of the vaccine if it doesn't return us to some sense of normality.

I think this was always stated, that you can pass it on even if you are vaccinated so we need a certain percentage before this stops the spread.

6 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I completely agree but that logic went out the window in the summer with the "zero covid" horse shit when we were in single figure case numbers.

To be fair the pictures in NSW at the football did look class. Pursuing Zero Covid is an effective way to bring normality back it's worked in Australia and New Zealand. Our half hearted awful attempt was never going to work. 

It will be interesting if we again take a "4 nations approach" on what is considered acceptable risk I would imagine at least 2/3 would think that once the over 50s and those vulnerable have had their first vaccinations it's time over the next 12 weeks to ease back to normality and maybe this time we can actually start with completely opening up the outdoor industry before muck like bingo and cinemas are flung open.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Oh, I mean them calling him 'JVT' but aye, his answer was ludicrous as well.

Unfortunately, the journalists in these have no recourse to answer follow up questions.

8 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

No resources should be diverted from essential care and vaccines, keep them shut.

In fairness it's not like the test and trace side of things is drawing from the same pool of resources as the folk doing vaccinations.

Not like Scot Gov are as seemingly enamoured with mass testing as the UK government anyway, for better or worse.

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

Construction and manufacturing shut like in March. Schools shut. Time outside limited. Masks when you leave the house regardless of where you are going. No meeting anyone from out with your house outdoors. 

Possibly back to furlough for me then.  The sites were all shut back in march, but some of the branches were kept open, as staff were asked to state whether they wanted to work or go on furlough. Only 2 of us from the 8 staff in the branch (including me) wanted to continue under limited duties, but we ended up on furlough.

I think this was always stated, that you can pass it on even if you are vaccinated so we need a certain percentage before this stops the spread.
That wasn't his take today though. He was implying that the vaccine reducing severity / death isn't sufficient it has to reduce transmission too but that is totally unproven and not a claim made by any manufacturer so far.

Up to now it's been assumed prevention of death or sever infection would be enough to stop the current restrictions ie vaccinating those vulnerable and over 50.

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

If everyone (or enough people) are vaccinated, transmission becomes a non-issue. Surely this is obvious to them. This is a lot of what my issue has been for several weeks, these 'advisors' either hedge their bets or offer up information that simply doesn't add up under scrutiny.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Surely the virus spreads most easily from an infectious person coughing or sneezing? 

It's a droplet bourne virus so if people are vaccinated against the virus then fire on just like parents who get a polio boosted if they need it once their child has had the live vaccine, we don't wait to give the child a non live dose we take appropriate precautions. That's the pragmatic view and the view 90% of people will take.

Compliance with anything other than mask wearing and hand hygiene will be next to 0 once the vaccine is rolled out.

Surely the virus spreads most easily from an infectious person coughing or sneezing? 
It's a droplet bourne virus so if people are vaccinated against the virus then fire on just like parents who get a polio boosted if they need it once their child has had the live vaccine, we don't wait to give the child a non live dose we take appropriate precautions. That's the pragmatic view and the view 90% of people will take.
Compliance with anything other than mask wearing and hand hygiene will be next to 0 once the vaccine is rolled out.
I agree fully

1 minute ago, 101 said:

That won't open pubs, nightclubs or football grounds at full capacities though, for example. The government need to be more pragmatic than they've given any indication of being thus far.