Coronavirus (COVID-19)

46 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I fully expect a groundswell of people resisting this in next 4-6 weeks if the rollout goes as planned.

I agree in general but with second vaccine doses for the Pfizer vaccine now due to be administered after 12 weeks (in line with the Oxford vaccine) maybe there's an argument to wait until the second round of vaccinations start or a significant fall in prevalence of the disease before restrictions are greatly eased.

If it's the case that we should wait the 12 weeks before significant easing then the government should be explaining this now.

7 minutes ago, Paco said:

Once the vaccine is into a certain amount of the younger population, life in the UK will have either zero or very limited restrictions, probably from about July/August if vaccination schedules work out.

There are no plans to vaccinate the younger population at large, though, are there?

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

What's moronic about that post?

Did I say your post was moronic? You are inferring meaning, making your own interpretation to suit your prejudged position. Sound familiar? 

I'm merely asking if you are actually as moronic as you often appear to be?

3 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

Did I say your post was moronic? You are inferring meaning, making your own interpretation to suit your prejudged position. Sound familiar? 

I was actually agreeing with the overall point you were making as well.

Clown.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, btb said:

I agree in general but with second vaccine doses for the Pfizer vaccine now due to be administered after 12 weeks (in line with the Oxford vaccine) maybe there's an argument to wait until the second round of vaccinations start or a significant fall in prevalence of the disease before restrictions are greatly eased.

If it's the case that we should wait the 12 weeks before significant easing then the government should be explaining this now.

They have failed at basic expectation management from day 1, so they will do so again. 

The trouble with the 12 weeks is: how long will it be until all the second doses are received? Probably 24 weeks minimum, which is nearly half the year. 

I see Pfizer have been out rubbishing the assumptions of the Government and the science as well, telling them there's no evidence 1 dose offers protection. 

9 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

A militarised society is a happy and effective society.

Most of them are happy I'm not entirely sure a country that uses sexual violence as a weapon can ever be truly described as effective but this probably isn't the thread to get into just how truly awful a lot of what the state of Israel get up to.

There are no plans to vaccinate the younger population at large, though, are there?

There are, everyone will be offered the vaccine. There’s a priority list that goes down to 50 years old at the moment, but in time there’ll be a new list - presumably just descending in age order.

17 minutes ago, btb said:

The Government shouldn't be making promises before we know what's happening with this new variant and the capacity of the NHS to cope with those needing hospitalisation. Any predictions of how and when the vaccination process will allow removal of restrictions would be guesswork, and I seriously hope the May election isn't a factor in the decision making, and that any party using Covid as a political football is punished at the ballot box.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The Government shouldn't be making promises before we know what's happening with this new variant and the capacity of the NHS to cope with those needing hospitalisation. Any predictions of how and when the vaccination process will allow removal of restrictions would be guesswork, and I seriously hope the May election isn't a factor in the decision making, and that any party using Covid as a political football is punished at the ballot box.

That wasn't the impression I was meaning to give - if people won't have full immunity until the second doses start which looks like it will now be the second quarter then the government should be saying that now and not as Matt Hancock said yesterday "we can get out of the pandemic by spring".

If the continuing chat around restrictions etc is their way of keeping everyones eye on the ball until the vaccine has been rolled out sufficiently then you would have to say in a year where the govt and media have been shite at a lot of stuff, they are remarkably shite at this.

If it's legit, and they intend to use what were emergency powers in a non emergency situation they can sook my Wang if they think il be following any ongoing restrictions. Problem is, whilst I can go back to having family and friends in my house, that doesnt help business and industries getting thrown on the scrapheap.

If there are still restrictions in May, my disdain for that overreach will likely trump my desire to allow SNP to continue in charge to chase Indyref2. That sounds quite extreme maybe but it's how I feel currently. I remain hopeful that pressure will start growing on restrictions even by the end of January.
Wouldn't that depend on the opposition parties campaigning on a promise to end restrictions ticket. There's unlikely to be a stampede towards other parties if they are backing continued restrictions also !

6 minutes ago, btb said:

That wasn't the impression I was meaning to give - if people won't have full immunity until the second doses start which looks like it will now be the second quarter then the government should be saying that now and not as Matt Hancock said yesterday "we can get out of the pandemic by spring".

Yeah, it was a general comment rather than directed at you. Folk indicating that their vote would be determined by whether they still had to wear a mask and the like.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
If the continuing chat around restrictions etc is their way of keeping everyones eye on the ball until the vaccine has been rolled out sufficiently then you would have to say in a year where the govt and media have been shite at a lot of stuff, they are remarkably shite at this.

If it's legit, and they intend to use what were emergency powers in a non emergency situation they can sook my Wang if they think il be following any ongoing restrictions. Problem is, whilst I can go back to having family and friends in my house, that doesnt help business and industries getting thrown on the scrapheap.

If there are still restrictions in May, my disdain for that overreach will likely trump my desire to allow SNP to continue in charge to chase Indyref2. That sounds quite extreme maybe but it's how I feel currently. I remain hopeful that pressure will start growing on restrictions even by the end of January.

Wouldn't that depend on the opposition parties campaigning on a promise to end restrictions ticket. There's unlikely to be a stampede towards other parties if they are backing continued restrictions also !

I can’t see anyone apart from galloway’s loonballs standing on a platform significantly different to whatever the general approach to restrictions are.  SNP are the controlling party, torries and labour can’t campaign for anything they aren’t doing in Wales/England successfully.   Any of them could act like they going to deliver a more successful vaccination program,  or perhaps they’ll be a debate on where restrictions should be placed(pubs over schools,  football over cinemas). 

I don’t see anyone really arguing for unnecessary restrictions,  what we have currently is government not really sure on how the virus will act in a partially vaccinated environment.

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

Correct. Think I read that Small Pox is the only disease that's ever been eradicated

Not true. Rangers was eradicated. The current disease has a superficially similar phenotype but is in fact a completely separate organism and not part of the original lineage. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

If virtually everyone on the planet gets an effective vaccine I'd have thought there would be a fair chance of eradication eventually. Nobody on google seems to know what happened to SARS 1, it just seems to have stopped.

I thought the story was that it had evolved into an almost harmless version that basically outcompeted the original. That's only a vague recollection ;  don't quote me on that. 

47 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Life expectancy 15 years. Population reduced by over 90% in last century. Kill other male's children for a bit of a laugh. Be more like lions

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Blaming the public pt 347

Except it's the imported mutation of the virus that's reeking havoc perhaps if the government had "taken back control" we wouldn't be in this mess. England is such a hilarious little place

They should be setting out, in line with Sturgeons previous statements of "no restrictions in place for a minute longer than neccessary" what neccesssry actually means. They should absolutely not be floating the idea of a never ending use of emergency powers on the basis of the spread of a respiratory infection which has been widely vaccinated against (with heavy focus on the small at risk group) and a "let's just wait and see" cautious attitude.

If you do not think misuse of power is a consideration at the ballot box fair play. I do though. And I wont cast a vote in the theoretical hope of future independence when it means backing people who in current practice are throwing people lives, prosperity, health and happiness on a bonfire because they dont have the stomach for what should be an incredibly simple cost benefit analysis based on nothing more than hospital capacity.

Of course, all of this is currently speculation. I am only going on the current language they are using and to me its unacceptable.

1 hour ago, Paco said:

I can’t help but feel a lot of you are getting your knickers in a twist over nothing. Once we’ve vaccinated the elderly and the vulnerable, restrictions will drop to a Tier 1 style thing at worst. Expectation right now is that’ll be April/May. Once the vaccine is into a certain amount of the younger population, life in the UK will have either zero or very limited restrictions, probably from about July/August if vaccination schedules work out.

You'd certainly hope this would happen but this hasn't been confirmed anywhere.