Coronavirus (COVID-19)

31 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Loads of talk of massively ramping up vaccination. That needs supply and both AZ and Pfizer don't appear to be able to provide anything like the volumes initially mentioned. So far AZ says it will take them "several weeks" to ramp up to the 2m a week initially talked about. Blame laughably seems to be a worldwide lack of glass vials !
UKG said 10m doses of Pfizer by end January. Pfizer says they will deliver 2m by end January " as per UKG contract".
All talk of delays and 9-5 by authorities is irrelevant if they simply cannot get the supplies to enable a ramp up.
Pfizer has supplied Israel with more vaccine so far than the UK which Pfizer say is down to orders placed. It looks like other countries either paid more or got in before us.
All this talk of NS can resign etc is wild given widely available media coverage of the real problem. We are comfortably administering what we are receiving so far. That will be ramped up when supply ramps up and so far that doesn't look like happening overnight.

Sigh.... How have you arrived at the conclusion that a combination of current stocks, and schedule of supply is not conducive with a higher rate of vaccination than we are currently doing?

Every vaccine administered today is 1 less potential hospitalisation hopefully, ad represents a faster route out of this. We had 10s if not 100s of thousands of vaccines held back for second doses which have now had their priority changed, that means getting more people in. We have a new vaccine available for use tomorrow. The rate of procurement is only going to go one way, upwards. Whats your source for we are comfortably administering what we have? Genuinely interested.

However, even its that's true... Once again. You put the infrastructure in place before the supply glut. Not once it arrives, otherwise you are stood there with yer proverbial cock in your hand looking stupid.

Lastly, it was me who said NS can GTF if this doesn't start to improve. I will happily stand by that. From the moment she got all shitty with Dickie Leonard before Christmas re vaccines, its been more and more telling to me that they are not ready for this and that is criminal for me. Pure negligence. The removal of the restrictions on our lives should be a heaven and earth job. Please don't insult my intelligence by telling me that theres no scope for improvement.

21 minutes ago, virginton said:

If they want people to stay at home then they should be closing all places of work that are not absolutely essential, running a skeleton public transport service for key workers and restricting supermarket visits per household. This idea of telling everyone to stay at home but oh btw make sure you all still work from home as usual to keep all our beloved neoliberal capitalist masters happy is intolerable. 

Hard to disagree with that tbh. Classifying food takeaways as essential, for example, is nonsense. If offices and restaurants are closed as they are unsafe, then the kitchens of food takeaway places aren't safe either.

Neither are the likes of B&M or Home Bargains "essential"

Supermarkets, unfortunately for those who work in them, clearly are essential, but the floor staff should be moved to the top of the vaccination list.

The SG are "running out of lives" so to speak for the number of times they can rely on people having faith in them producing anything beneficial from their smorgasbord of restrictions.

Sigh.... How have you arrived at the conclusion that a combination of current stocks, and schedule of supply is not conducive with a higher rate of vaccination than we are currently doing?
Every vaccine administered today is 1 less potential hospitalisation hopefully, ad represents a faster route out of this. We had 10s if not 100s of thousands of vaccines held back for second doses which have now had their priority changed, that means getting more people in. We have a new vaccine available for use tomorrow. The rate of procurement is only going to go one way, upwards. Whats your source for we are comfortably administering what we have? Genuinely interested.

However, even its that's true... Once again. You put the infrastructure in place before the supply glut. Not once it arrives, otherwise you are stood there with yer proverbial cock in your hand looking stupid.
Lastly, it was me who said NS can GTF if this doesn't start to improve. I will happily stand by that. From the moment she got all shitty with Dickie Leonard before Christmas re vaccines, its been more and more telling to me that they are not ready for this and that is criminal for me. Pure negligence. The removal of the restrictions on our lives should be a heaven and earth job. Please don't insult my intelligence by telling me that theres no scope for improvement.
I'm with you 100% on getting it ramped up but it needs supply and the two suppliers are very publicly saying what we are getting is nowhere near what we were told would be delivered a month or so back.

As soon as evidence appears of a delay in rollout or a 9-5 only policy I will be complaining like the best of them but so far there is zero evidence of a vaccine mountain existing in UK storage facilities waiting on needles into arms. Until then I will keep optimistic.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The very real negative consequences of closing schools still exist.

We're planning to close schools for a week in Feb, two weeks at Easter and a whopping six and a half in the summer. Not to mention bank holidays and a couple of in-service training days. Funny how society has always seemed to cope.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Given that vaccines were delivered to hospitals yesterday, yet the square root of f**k all are being administered today is the first warning sign of how this will pan out.

56 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I feel a charity bet on my prediction of NS announcing a full school return on the 18th, while keeping the whole country in Tier 4 tomorrow....£10 to the charity of your choice if wrong?

Schools only for key workers and vulnerable until feb weekend. Review in week leading up to that.

4 minutes ago, bendan said:

We're planning to close schools for a week in Feb, two weeks at Easter and a whopping six and a half in the summer. Not to mention bank holidays and a couple of in-service training days. Funny how society has always seemed to cope.

Kids with well organised and tech savvy parents will be fine. Many of those without, won't be. 

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Kids with well organised and tech savvy parents will be fine. Many of those without, won't be. 

I was thinking more that we could just do no teaching at all for the next few weeks and make it up from the holidays planned for later in the year.

Given that vaccines were delivered to hospitals yesterday, yet the square root of f**k all are being administered today is the first warning sign of how this will pan out.
45000 between 14 Scottish health boards about 3,000 per health board . Aye we need to be going flat out to do that. The problem is supply clearly not administering it. It's pretty obvious.

A fair few on here seem to be losing their shit at a perceived problem which simply isn't there. 45,000 doses from AZ for the whole of Scotland. Let that sink in, there is your problem right there.

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

45000 between 14 Scottish health boards about 3,000 per health board . Aye we need to be going flat out to do that. The problem is supply clearly not administering it. It's pretty obvious.

A fair few on here seem to be losing their shit at a perceived problem which simply isn't there. 45,000 doses from AZ for the whole of Scotland. Let that sink in, there is your problem right there.

Yep. Say you wanted to vaccinate the magic number of 1.25 million by the end of February. To do that you'd need 30,000 doses per day.

Tbf the (unrealistic) expectation was set by Freeman spouting shite about 1m by the end of January. At the time she made it that required 125,000 per week. A month later we are still below 100,000.

It was a ludicrous statement at the time, and looks even worse now.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Yep. Say you wanted to vaccinate the magic number of 1.25 million by the end of February. To do that you'd need 30,000 doses per day.
Exactly.

So far UKG are openly divulging the delivery numbers on both vaccines. Scotland gets 8.5% of each batch. The SG is giving weekly updates of numbers vaccinated so a lack of administration will be there for all to see if that ever happens. Going ape over a perceived delay that hasn't yet materialized is loon ball stuff. Fully justified if and when it happens but going there now in anticipation of a problem is mental, there's enough room and gloom around without imagining it !

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Maybe I'm picking you up wrong, but we should be going flat out regardless. If each health board only gets say 3,000 vaccines then they should be powering through that in a day or two.

Only getting 45,000 isn't a reason to take things easy.

Anyway, my point remains that I find it galling that there's all these vaccines sitting in fridges in hospitals today rather than folks' arms. (All the while SG gearing up to dish yet more restrictions to life)

Tbf the (unrealistic) expectation was set by Freeman spouting shite about 1m by the end of January.
It was a ludicrous statement at the time, and looks even worse now.
Bozo said 10m Pfizer by end January. Pfizer say they will deliver 2m and that's in line with the UKG contract. Not hard to see where the issue arose, I assume the SG gave the 1m based on the pro rata distribution model (near enough at 8.5% being 850k).

Maybe I'm picking you up wrong, but we should be going flat out regardless. If each health board only gets say 3,000 vaccines then they should be powering through that in a day or two.
Anyway, my point remains that I find it galling that there's all these vaccines sitting in fridges in hospitals today rather than folks' arms. (All the while SG gearing up to dish yet more restrictions to life)
Who says we are not ? SG figs suggest we did way more than 45k last week. So far there is zero evidence of supply exceeding administration. When that becomes apparent then anyone can, quite rightly, get angry but as I say for now it's a figment of imagination.

1 minute ago, Steven W said:

Whether or not the ScotGov power through that 45k today or tomorrow isn't going to make a difference to decisions made about further restrictions. If there was 450k sitting there not getting done I could be more upset.