Coronavirus (COVID-19)

16 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It’s called post viral fatigue. I was a fit and healthy 23 year old and I took chickenpox. I was floored for a year. I couldn’t walk up the stairs without being exhausted. After a shower I was so tired I had to nap. I was off work for 3 months then a phased return to part time hours. Any viral infection has the capacity to leave fatigue. “Long covid” is a rebranded PVF

There's post-viral fatigue and then there's the significant post-Covid lung fibrosis that we're seeing in a not insignificant number of cases. This isn't the same entity as far as we can tell.

Hopefully people take this lockdown seriously. I have seen the SGHD projections for our likely numbers over the coming month and it is grim reading.

7 minutes ago, philpy said:

It's extremely sad and worrying the effects lockdown is having on the younger generation. A customer's nephew took his life near Arthur's seat at the weekend. 18 years old. Talented young footballer with his life ahead of him. Studying for a degree in accounts. Absolutely tragic and heartwrenching. 😢

Definitely tragic in any circumstances. Were you told it was covid/lockdown related or if there was a history of mental health or private life issues?

From what I was told , he was having to study at home and was possibly struggling with the lack of social interaction. It should act as a wake up call to the younger generation that don't give a f**k about restrictions. that poor lad was sticking to the rules and was working with his uncle to hopefully learn a trade if things didn't work out with studies.

2 minutes ago, philpy said:

From what I was told , he was having to study at home and was possibly struggling with the lack of social interaction. It should act as a wake up call to the younger generation that don't give a f**k about restrictions. that poor lad was sticking to the rules and was working with his uncle to hopefully learn a trade if things didn't work out with studies.

Yep, it's definitely those pesky young people who are responsible for a person's suicide here.

1919238B-D2A6-48F5-8023-A45A2B4B9021.png.89c2e3c13021db68366fd0fd8c728b00.png

What an absolute walloper.

15 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Hearing of delays in vaccine administration in a hospital in Glasgow today for over 3hrs because no one booked any vaccinators. But this is all going well and we shouldnt be angry. 

I'm sure @welshbairn will find a way to show this was absolutely no fault at all of the SG.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm sure @welshbairn will find a way to show this was absolutely no fault at all of the SG.

I mean its not directly the SG fault in any way, they ‘should’ be able to direct a health board to issue vaccines, I dont agree with a lot of what the Scottish Government has done, but they’ve taken the right steps with this lockdown. The fault here lies with the absolute incompetence of the health board. 

54 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It’s called post viral fatigue. I was a fit and healthy 23 year old and I took chickenpox. I was floored for a year. I couldn’t walk up the stairs without being exhausted. After a shower I was so tired I had to nap. I was off work for 3 months then a phased return to part time hours. Any viral infection has the capacity to leave fatigue. “Long covid” is a rebranded PVF

Nearly. Four types of long Covid have been described, one of which is a post-viral fatigue. There are other types, such as continuing symptoms, which one of my colleagues has. He doesn't have fatigue, his "only" symptom is that he has had difficulty breathing for 9 months.

My 16 year old son has a diagnosis of chronic fatigue that followed a virus, so I know a bit about what you went through. It's brutal. His has lasted nearly 5 years now.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

He turned down several lucrative rebel tours, even though his best mate Viv Richards said he should take the money.

He got into a bit of trouble for saying to one guy trying to persuade him, "Ok, half a million and I'll think about it." which was about 20 times what they were offering. I like to think he was taking the pish.

45 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

There's post-viral fatigue and then there's the significant post-Covid lung fibrosis that we're seeing in a not insignificant number of cases. This isn't the same entity as far as we can tell.

Hopefully people take this lockdown seriously. I have seen the SGHD projections for our likely numbers over the coming month and it is grim reading.

Sadly quite a few illnesses can leave lung fibrosis. Pneumonia for example. My Dad had it in Oct 2019 and he was left with lung fibrosis before his death in Feb. Unfortunately it’s not a new thing  

9 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Nearly. Four types of long Covid have been described, one of which is a post-viral fatigue. There are other types, such as continuing symptoms, which one of my colleagues has. He doesn't have fatigue, his "only" symptom is that he has had difficulty breathing for 9 months.

My 16 year old son has a diagnosis of chronic fatigue that followed a virus, so I know a bit about what you went through. It's brutal. His has lasted nearly 5 years now.

Sorry to hear that about your son. You’re right when you say it’s brutal. It probably took me about 7 years in total to fully recover. The first year was by far the worst but in the intervening years doing any sort of prolonged exercise would tire me out to the stage I was napping for hours. Hope your son gets back to full fitness soon 🤞

3 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Sorry to hear that about your son. You’re right when you say it’s brutal. It probably took me about 7 years in total to fully recover. The first year was by far the worst but in the intervening years doing any sort of prolonged exercise would tire me out to the stage I was napping for hours. Hope your son gets back to full fitness soon 🤞

Thanks. They've said he might go grow out of it but there's a risk he never will. It gets him out of a lot of room cleaning and stuff so he's probably already grown out of it and just lying to us...

13 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Around 10,000 die of flu in the UK each year. The vast, vast majority of them are going to die of the next thing they catch, and that's what they catch. There's a strong correlation between how bad a flu season is and the mortality rate in the months after - a bad flu season is always followed by lower mortality for a couple of months. Flu very, very rarely kills people with asthma and never with conditions like diabetes, which is a very big risk factor this time.

If we had carried on as normal Covid-19 would have killed 500,000 people in the UK. That's 50 times worse than annual flu. With the new variant that number is probably now on the low side. As it is, there have been 80,000 excess deaths in the UK since April. I remember folk scoffing when I repeated the SAGE figure that if started early, got lucky and did nothing wrong, 5,600 would die. Sadly those who scoffed haven't learned much.

In a bad flu season the NHS sometimes comes close to not coping in some parts of the country. Letting Covid-19 run amok would utterly overwhelm the NHS and folk would die on trollies in corridors of easily preventable stuff. It would cause a lot more deaths.

You're right that the "one death is too many" view is wrong. But comparing it to annual cold and flu... we really have to know better than that by now. 

An 80% increase in annual mortality is fantasyland stuff. Behave.

15 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Around 10,000 die of flu in the UK each year. The vast, vast majority of them are going to die of the next thing they catch, and that's what they catch. There's a strong correlation between how bad a flu season is and the mortality rate in the months after - a bad flu season is always followed by lower mortality for a couple of months. Flu very, very rarely kills people with asthma and never with conditions like diabetes, which is a very big risk factor this time.

If we had carried on as normal Covid-19 would have killed 500,000 people in the UK. That's 50 times worse than annual flu. With the new variant that number is probably now on the low side. As it is, there have been 80,000 excess deaths in the UK since April. I remember folk scoffing when I repeated the SAGE figure that if started early, got lucky and did nothing wrong, 5,600 would die. Sadly those who scoffed haven't learned much.

In a bad flu season the NHS sometimes comes close to not coping in some parts of the country. Letting Covid-19 run amok would utterly overwhelm the NHS and folk would die on trollies in corridors of easily preventable stuff. It would cause a lot more deaths.

You're right that the "one death is too many" view is wrong. But comparing it to annual cold and flu... we really have to know better than that by now. 

Chris Whitty stated today around 8000 in a good year and 20000 in a bad year die of flu.

he then went on to say something along the lines of Covid will turn out to be similar and acceptable risk (i.e. collateral damage) will be arrived at.

While I think it’s truthful and needs saying his glib manner and the half smile he has while talking about this stuff makes me think he’s a c**t.