Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yup, I've essentially privately written off any sort of significant foreign travel until at least 2022, probably 2023 and I'm quite comfortable with that if it means we can live our normal lives in this country as that is the very top priority.

I certainly don't enjoy the idea of never getting abroad again, though. I don't think people can be blamed for being upset at this prospect.

Zero foreign travel is however impossible. I work in the merchant navy, I was stuck on a ship for five months in the first lockdown, some guys on other ships were on for almost 18 months in some cases. These are the guys keeping commerce and trade going and they can't be expected to stay on the ship forever, especially when there is no shore leave. With the way modern schedules work, when you're working or on standby seven days a week burnout becomes extremely dangerous. 90% of all world trade is carried on ships. 
I don't believe people should be going abroad for holiday but then this also creates the problem that no punters, no flights. No flights, I'm not sure how sailors and other such workers can be repatriated. I know airlines are not going to be doing the maritime sector any favours, it was like pulling teeth trying to see controlled repatriation recommence in summer.

15 minutes ago, renton said:

Anyone want to place a bet on the number of jabs delivered in today's briefing?

If they want to hit their target they will need to have completed around 25,000 yesterday.

Of course, our journalists will be aware of this and will highlight this if they fell well short...

Whilst you might be right in that this is how it turns out, it should be acceptable to no one and met with French style, car burning protests, general strikes etc. It wont, but as soon as hospital numbers show positive effects of the vaccine, life should be battering on towards normal.

Holidays etc might be subject to restriction for longer. That might be an inevitability but the idea that folk should accept life in Scotland under restriction indefinitely is shite and should me met with pure disdain and mass rule breaking until the message is received.
It remains to be seen what the effects of the vaccine are on hospitalizations and deaths. It they reduce to last summer's rates then no doubt restrictions will be released but we simply don't know if that will be the case or how long that will take. There is bound to be a big reduction come the warmer weather regardless as that's what happened last year. It's what happens next autumn and winter that will dictate where life is heading longer term. We simply don't know enough about the effects on a yearly cycle these vaccines will have to be demanding civil unrest etc. The only answer is we need to wait and see the effect the vaccines have before spouting stuff like that.

Guest Bob Mahelp
17 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I also think that there people advising the government who will be saying that actually, there should be no reliance on the vaccine as a barrier and that we need to drive case loads low and keep them there, with the use of restrictions. I just hope the government have the stomach to tell the latter, who are basically idealists, to bolt. But have little confidence in this. 

Scientists have the ear of the government at the moment, and they have no interest in economics, families, mental health, physical health, job security, education or any of the other million things that make life go round normally. 

If scientists had their way we would all be boarded into our houses for the next 6 months with absolutely access to the outside world. Then they could say that statistically we were covid free. 

It's up to the government if they use scientists to dictate policy, or if they use them as part of a common sense approach which takes into account the wider aspects mentioned above. 

At the moment, it seems to be the former. Let us hope that as the months go on, the common sense approach is used more and more. 

If they want to hit their target they will need to have completed around 25,000 yesterday.
Of course, our journalists will be aware of this and will highlight this if they fell well short...
They could do zero jags yesterday and still hit their target. You do realise how targets work ???

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Scientists have the ear of the government at the moment, and they have no interest in economics, families, mental health, physical health, job security, education or any of the other million things that make life go round normally. 

If scientists had their way we would all be boarded into our houses for the next 6 months with absolutely access to the outside world. Then they could say that statistically we were covid free. 

It's up to the government if they use scientists to dictate policy, or if they use them as part of a common sense approach which takes into account the wider aspects mentioned above. 

At the moment, it seems to be the former. Let us hope that as the months go on, the common sense approach is used more and more. 

Yes, scientists have basically been given the exam question 'how do we stop this virus?' and the response is inevitably for no one to ever see each other/come into contact. Ever. 

I think it's fair enough when hospitals are close to absolute capacity that the scientists view is given more weighting when it comes to decision making but as that pressure eases they will need to take far more of a back seat.

1 minute ago, amidst-tundra said:

Zero foreign travel is however impossible. I work in the merchant navy, I was stuck on a ship for five months in the first lockdown, some guys on other ships were on for almost 18 months in some cases. These are the guys keeping commerce and trade going and they can't be expected to stay on the ship forever, especially when there is no shore leave. With the way modern schedules work, when you're working or on standby seven days a week burnout becomes extremely dangerous. 90% of all world trade is carried on ships. 
I don't believe people should be going abroad for holiday but then this also creates the problem that no punters, no flights. No flights, I'm not sure how sailors and other such workers can be repatriated. I know airlines are not going to be doing the maritime sector any favours, it was like pulling teeth trying to see controlled repatriation recommence in summer.

Currently? Agreed. I work in a very multicultural environment and I see fellow workers who have family in Mexico, USA, all over Europe and the Middle East who are struggling with not being allowed to go and see family on their terms.

There is always going to be a market for foreign travel and holidays though, that is not going to go away at the other end of this pandemic. My post was in agreement with the previous poster who said people will accept a year or two of foreign travel being pretty much off the table but will start to ask questions afterwards.

25 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

said enough times, live life safely  like it's 2019 at home with almost zero foreign travel. most people would bite your hand off right now. after a year they would get pissed off that they cant go to Tenerife , but if Tenerife has 24/7 mask wearing , curfews and bars and clubs closed then they wouldn't want to go anyway

Yes they would because Tenerife has reliably good weather and the UK does not. Last year's lockdown coincided with one of the warmest and sunniest springs on record: when conditions are somewhat different in the months to come, people will be climbing the walls to get to the Med.

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
12 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

They could do zero jags yesterday and still hit their target. You do realise how targets work ???

I'm not sure what the issue was with my post tbh.

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Currently? Agreed. I work in a very multicultural environment and I see fellow workers who have family in Mexico, USA, all over Europe and the Middle East who are struggling with not being allowed to go and see family on their terms.

There is always going to be a market for foreign travel and holidays though, that is not going to go away at the other end of this pandemic. My post was in agreement with the previous poster who said people will accept a year or two of foreign travel being pretty much off the table but will start to ask questions afterwards.

I'm not convinced the majority would tbh. You also have the added caveat of no foreign travel = no travel companies remaining for when we reach the arbitrary point we decide it's ok again.

This is zero covid nonsense that belongs in the bin.

Again, provided the UK have vaccinated the people they feel need protected there is no practical reason why people cannot freely travel to, and from, the UK.

Edited by Todd_is_God

51 minutes ago, Paco said:

. I think we’re in danger of falling down a rabbit hole on here with outrage about something that’s not going to happen. 

I think we've dived head first into that rabbit hole and are now furiously burrowing our way to Australia.

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Foreign travel is hardly a luxury these days. It's very much part of modern day life for a huge number of people, and you can see that in the fact that when restrictions look there's a chance they could ease, one of the first things people do is book a holiday abroad or arrange to visit family and friends who live in other parts of the world. 

Aside from that, the travel industry (both inwards and outwards) is vital to the economy of the UK. It employs vast amounts of people, and indirectly keeps millions in employment servicing the industry. 

I agree that we have to look at a common kind of vaccine passport or whatever to enable people to travel safely, but I don't accept that foreign travel should be off the table any more than I accept that pubs and restaurants should remain closed because people gather there. 

11 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I suppose they're reminding you it's a marathon rather than a sprint.  

I still don't see the issue with questioning the SG if they appear to be falling behind a target they have already revised twice. I'm sure whatever excuse they give will be lapped up by the legion of simps on here though.

If they can't achieve 25k just now, then it's not realistic to be achieving 30/35k next week to make up the difference.

I'd also argue that, given the amount of disruption caused by the restrictions put in place for covid, it absolutely should be a sprint.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I still don't see the issue with questioning the SG if they appear to be falling behind a target they have already revised twice.

If they can't achieve 25k just now, then it's not realistic to be achieving 30/35k next week to make up the difference.

I'd also argue that, given the amount of disruption the restrictions put in place for covid, it absolutely is a sprint.

Neither do I but I suppose they were suggesting that the time to criticise someone for missing a target is when they've missed the target rather than before the deadline.  I'd prefer the heat to be turned up now but it does give an easy out using "it's early days" as an excuse.  

37 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

But I saw someone in queue outside waiting to buy a cup of coffee.

Just to address the whole” lOnG cOvId iS a HoAx” on here.

There is categorically a post-covid syndrome of some sort, particularly in regard to people still having chest issues like breathlessness, chest pain etc a long way down the line from the actual acute infection. 

I am seeing on a daily basis significant numbers of patients attending with these symptoms 8,9 or even 10 months after getting infected intially. Some are bad enough to need admitted through ED. 

Call it long covid or whatever you want but it does exist and is not the same as post viral fatigue.