Coronavirus (COVID-19)

58 minutes ago, SoapMactavish said:

Just to address the whole” lOnG cOvId iS a HoAx” on here.

There is categorically a post-covid syndrome of some sort, particularly in regard to people still having chest issues like breathlessness, chest pain etc a long way down the line from the actual acute infection. 

I am seeing on a daily basis significant numbers of patients attending with these symptoms 8,9 or even 10 months after getting infected intially. Some are bad enough to need admitted through ED. 

Call it long covid or whatever you want but it does exist and is not the same as post viral fatigue. 

Anything viral can leave post viral fatigue. As I’ve mentioned I had it due to chickenpox as an adult. Anything lung related can leave long term problems as well. My uncle had pneumonia years back and it left scarring on his lung and problems breathing as well as fatigue he’d never experienced before. I’m not sure why people are reacting shocked as if they’ve found life on Mars at the thought of a viral infection leaving long term complications.

57 minutes ago, SoapMactavish said:

Just to address the whole” lOnG cOvId iS a HoAx” on here.

I haven't combed through every page, but is anyone actually saying that? I think the issue is that the media would like people to think huge percentages of those who get Covid will suffer 'Long Covid' - would you say that is categorically true? Millions of people have had Covid in the UK - if some have chest pains months later, how do you determine that it's the result of Covid? If some are depressed or have anxiety, how do you determine it's due to Covid?

I'm not doubting for a moment that some people struggle to shake off some of the effects, but media scaremongering over the numbers won't help us get back to a more normal situation in which people make rational assessments of health risks.

14 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Early results in Israel appear very promising.

Thank you - this is what I was after yesterday, and although I don't understand a word of it, I see graphs with downward trajectories which can only be a good thing.

The next thing with Israel will be to see how quick, and to what extent, they ease restrictions.

Is that Scotland? Some way to go to get where we need to be.
Yep. Freeman just made statement.

562,125 doses allocated for Scotland.
365,000 of these are with GPs or health boards.
155,025 doses of AZ and 42,100 Pfizer are either in transit or storage before being sent to Scotland.

2 minutes ago, bendan said:

I haven't combed through every page, but is anyone actually saying that? I think the issue is that the media would like people to think huge percentages of those who get Covid will suffer 'Long Covid' - would you say that is categorically true? Millions of people have had Covid in the UK - if some have chest pains months later, how do you determine that it's the result of Covid? If some are depressed or have anxiety, how do you determine it's due to Covid?

I'm not doubting for a moment that some people struggle to shake off some of the effects, but media scaremongering over the numbers won't help us get back to a more normal situation in which people make rational assessments of health risks.

I've definitely seen posts on here saying that it's bullshit and is just post-viral fatigue. I don't think that's been a majority or even common view but it has been expressed. 

2 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Yep. Freeman just made statement.

562,125 doses allocated for Scotland.
365,000 of these are with GPs or health boards.
155,025 doses of AZ and 42,100 Pfizer are either in transit or storage before being sent to Scotland.

Let me get this straight. 

There's currently 365,000 vaccines currently, for want of a better word, 'in stock'. Yet yesterday we only innoculated 16,000?

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Whilst you might be right in that this is how it turns out, it should be acceptable to no one and met with French style, car burning protests, general strikes etc. It wont, but as soon as hospital numbers show positive effects of the vaccine, life should be battering on towards normal.

Holidays etc might be subject to restriction for longer. That might be an inevitability but the idea that folk should accept life in Scotland under restriction indefinitely is shite and should me met with pure disdain and mass rule breaking until the message is received.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Yup, I've essentially privately written off any sort of significant foreign travel until at least 2022, probably 2023 and I'm quite comfortable with that if it means we can live our normal lives in this country as that is the very top priority.

I certainly don't enjoy the idea of never getting abroad again, though. I don't think people can be blamed for being upset at this prospect.

I dont agree re foreign travel. We should absolutely be allowing travel this summer providing we have the most vulnerable vaccinated. The only justification for not opening up is further mutation. 
We absolutely have to reach a point whereby the financial and wellbeing cost of staying lockdown is counteracted by the fact the most at risk are as protected as we can get them, by that stage the justification for the strongest measures absolutely no longer exists. But that shouldnt be due to the Scottish Government’s abject failure to properly roll out the vaccine and Freeman needs to go now. 

Just now, coprolite said:

I've definitely seen posts on here saying that it's bullshit and is just post-viral fatigue. I don't think that's been a majority or even common view but it has been expressed. 

Depends where the scientists draw the line, I've heard from people who still feel very  tired and get  out of breath long after the infection has passed, whilst this is not ideal it is not having a huge impact on their life. I have also  heard from others who are still having serious debilitating conditions leaving them unable to work or enjoy any kind of normal life at all. both of these  could  both be defined as long covid or post covid syndrome but there is only one which gives me the fear

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

It's really weird they way they're saying 'we'll do it if there's demand' like they're waiting on folk phoning up and asking for it. Just do it ffs.

It looks like a lack of leadership or confidence about what they are doing. Waiting for the elderly to demand they speed things up?

Let me get this straight. 
There's currently 365,000 vaccines currently, for want of a better word, 'in stock'. Yet yesterday we only innoculated 16,000?
Seems to be but I guess they

A) need to actually have people booked and attending the slots
B) don't want to fire through all the doses and then have people sitting doing nothing for weeks until we are confident the supplies will be coming.

It's still early stages and still apparently on track for the over 80s by month end and 400k per week by end of Feb.

Also sounds like they aren't using the mass sites yet which will greatly increase the numbers being done.

Just now, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Depends where the scientists draw the line, I've heard from people who still feel very  tired and get  out of breath long after the infection has passed, whilst this is not ideal it is not having a huge impact on their life. I have also  heard from others who are still having serious debilitating conditions leaving them unable to work or enjoy any kind of normal life at all. both of these  could  both be defined as long covid or post covid syndrome but there is only one which gives me the fear

The thing about Covid is it doesn't only attack the lungs, it can go for other organs, including the brain. It's not surprising there can be long lasting effects. Sounds like you have to be pretty unlucky to get them though.

6 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

It's really weird they way they're saying 'we'll do it if there's demand' like they're waiting on folk phoning up and asking for it. Just do it ffs.

Getting the over 80s out of the way was always going to be the slowest bit. Waiting for call back to see if I can get mine at the same time as I wheel my Mother in for hers on Tuesday. It would be daft to need 4 appointments for the pair of us instead of just the 2.

29 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There’s tons of non-essential work being carried out by tradespeople.  As always it will be the less scrupulous that will be ignoring the rules.

Are you still putting up my curtain rails?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

30 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There’s tons of non-essential work being carried out by tradespeople.  As always it will be the less scrupulous that will be ignoring the rules.

Yes. Our toilet flusher broke on Monday night and I got our plumber in to fix it on Monday morning. He was saying he was only doing things like that and burst pipes broken boilers etc.  He called a woman to cancel a new bathroom install as it was not essential and said she went mental and was going somewhere else. 

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's not surprising there can be long lasting effects. Sounds like you have to be pretty unlucky to get them though.

And you would hope that was the message being put out by a public service broadcaster.