Coronavirus (COVID-19)

15 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Is it lies though?

With vaccines on the go and new treatments coming to fruition; a prediction that living with Covid will be like living with flu in ten months time is hardly the most outlandish thing ever said and surely something even they can deliver upon?

As I said earlier the notion of some kind of end date, even if it's ten months away gives me personally some comfort, that I don't get from NS' open ended use of language.

I don’t think that it’s an unrealistic target, so not necessarily lies.

We are still in the early days though of getting the vaccine into people and there are potentially a lot of things that can mean that target is missed, new strains, supply of vaccines, the spread of the virus when we start reopening things.

I just think it’s more responsible to say we don’t know yet, than the Tory approach of saying something and then moving the goalposts a few weeks later. 

People on this thread talked of wanting to be treated like adults and having an adult discussion around it. Well this is what it looks like, being told the truth (we don’t yet know, we hope X)  against being told things that are likely not going to happen to keep people happy. It’s the equivalent of giving kids sweets to shut them up.

Edited by Jambomo

16 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Is it lies though?

With vaccines on the go and new treatments coming to fruition; a prediction that living with Covid will be like living with flu in ten months time is hardly the most outlandish thing ever said and surely something even they can deliver upon?

As I said earlier the notion of some kind of end date, even if it's ten months away gives me personally some comfort, that I don't get from NS' open ended use of language.

I can't say it's lies anymore than you can say it isn't. 

All I am going on is previous form. 

To be clear, I do hope (and think) what he said is not too outlandish, but that doesn't mean I take as gospel what he says because that's what I'd like to happen. 

The tories have a far far worse record than the Scot govt for sticking to what they've said - so much so that people still bring up the 1m vaccinations line as an example of the snp's untrustworthyness (?). If only that was the worst and most memorable example of BS from the tories. 

So like I've said before, banking on them following through with what they've said is madness. They say what will make them popular at the time, be it with the public or their backbenchers, leak stuff that is diametrically opposite to what they actually say in person, and are generally amongst the slipperiest government we've had in my memory. Absolutely the worst possible c***s in charge at the worst possible time. 

Edited by madwullie

Went from Shepherds Bush to Canary Wharf.  This was before the JLE was built.  Usually 90 minutes each way minimum.  Fucking Horrific..  DLR was an unreliable mess back then.
Moved to Edinburgh and had a 7 minute journey from South Gyle to Haymarket.  Loads of people exited the train at the Gyle so I always got a seat.  Bliss.  Only downside was having no time to read a book.
My first teaching job - stayed with my aunt in Leigh-on-Sea - had a 4 hour round trip to Putney.

Did that for 3 months - it was soul-destroying.

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
10 minutes ago, ayrmad said:
If you can't see that these new strains have changed things then I can't help you. 

There's not a soul looking for your brand of help m8.

You'll never be my mate, soz. 

8 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Question for you.

As I live in Thailand and the vaccine is not going live, until later this month and will take all year and next year for them to get to the magic 70% herd.  The Thai government saying it is only available to Thai nationals, even though I am registered with the local NHS (card carrier).

My question is. I left Scotland in 2008, while registered at my local GP, I have never offically declared I left the UK, if you can even do that. Would I still be registered at that said GP?  Therefore on the list for vaccination?

Aye you will be.  Those Thai government fellas are mean.

5 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Not surprised by the Yougov poll showing that most people in the UK are happy for restrictions to continue for months yet. It's the general view from almost everybody I hear from outside this thread.

Add that to the polling showing - despite people on this thread threatening to change their vote and speculating that others will do the same - that Scotland's Party are cruising to what may be a record election win in May, and perhaps the echo chamber on this thread should stop and consider that a few loud voices have this thread completely out of step with public opinion.

The government are not conspiring to lock up the population against its will for no reason. The population is not turning against the government.

I've said it before and will continue to point it out. The loud voices on this thread are complete outliers and it's good to see evidence that they are well out of step with the general public.

4 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

It’s encouraging to hear that people realise that human life is more precious than getting a pint and a package holiday in Magaluf.

Of course, these same oddballs with no comprehension of reality wanting to sAvE lIvEs don't give a shit that millions of children continue to die of hunger and malnutrition every single year, or that 1.5 million people still die from TB every single year.

It's all about those 'rona deaths. 🏆🏅

Of course, these same oddballs with no comprehension of reality wanting to sAvE lIvEs don't give a shit that millions of children continue to die of hunger and malnutrition every single year, or that 1.5 million people still die from TB every single year.
It's all about those holidays. [emoji471][emoji966]

FTFY

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Go back to bed, get up and start again.

I'll accept anyone pissing on the dying embers of #ZeroCovid and accepting that this is going to inevitably become just another background illness.

Even a sociopath like Hancock.

Guest TheJTS98
7 minutes ago, Elixir said:

It's all about those 'rona deaths. 🏆🏅

I think it sums your position up that you've resorted to this complete irrelevance.

For the record, I think humanity should act to prevent deaths from hunger, TB, and covid-19.

I am also against murder and genocide, and I am not in favour of torturing kittens.

Edited by TheJTS98

1 minute ago, TheJTS98 said:

I think it sums your position up that you've resorted to this complete irrelevance.

For the record, I think humanity should act to prevent deaths from hunger, TB, and covid-19.

I am also against murder and genocide.

It should. Just not at the expense of the perpetual destruction of society.

1 minute ago, Elixir said:

I'll accept anyone pissing on the dying embers of #ZeroCovid and accepting that this is going to inevitably become just another background illness.

Even a sociopath like Hancock

Lord Hancock as he will be known.

1 minute ago, TheJTS98 said:

You're exactly what this thread needed.

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, Elixir said:

It should. Just not at the expense of the perpetual destruction of society.

Calm down. We are not witnessing the destruction of society.

Is it lies though?
If NS came out and said another 10 months of restrictions (that's basically what Hancock is alluding too) and you would hit the roof. His use of could and hope is really just packaging bad news in a nice wrapper.

6 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Not surprised by the Yougov poll showing that most people in the UK are happy for restrictions to continue for months yet. It's the general view from almost everybody I hear from outside this thread.

Add that to the polling showing - despite people on this thread threatening to change their vote and speculating that others will do the same - that Scotland's Party are cruising to what may be a record election win in May, and perhaps the echo chamber on this thread should stop and consider that a few loud voices have this thread completely out of step with public opinion.

The government are not conspiring to lock up the population against its will for no reason. The population is not turning against the government.

I've said it before and will continue to point it out. The loud voices on this thread are complete outliers and it's good to see evidence that they are well out of step with the general public.

2 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Because it suggests that the heavy implication we've seen on here repeatedly that the public are going to give up on following restrictions is nonsense.

That's good news.

image.jpeg.5cd92f59aff84eec3f8d7e150c6a691f.jpeg