Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Nae bother.  Put your feet up.  PM me your bank details and I’ll transfer my wages straight to your account.

what you describe there is the best defined benefits pension.

oh for it to be that straightforward...

na, i know ive got to worry about makin' money for a good few years yet.

Guest TheJTS98
2 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Question for you.

As I live in Thailand and the vaccine is not going live, until later this month and will take all year and next year for them to get to the magic 70% herd.  The Thai government saying it is only available to Thai nationals, even though I am registered with the local NHS (card carrier).

My question is. I left Scotland in 2008, while registered at my local GP, I have never offically declared I left the UK, if you can even do that. Would I still be registered at that said GP?  Therefore on the list for vaccination?

Abandon Thai savagery! Vaccines all round for nationals and foreigners in Malaysia.

Come on in. The water's lovely.

Guest TheJTS98

Not surprised by the Yougov poll showing that most people in the UK are happy for restrictions to continue for months yet. It's the general view from almost everybody I hear from outside this thread.

Add that to the polling showing - despite people on this thread threatening to change their vote and speculating that others will do the same - that Scotland's Party are cruising to what may be a record election win in May, and perhaps the echo chamber on this thread should stop and consider that a few loud voices have this thread completely out of step with public opinion.

The government are not conspiring to lock up the population against its will for no reason. The population is not turning against the government.

I've said it before and will continue to point it out. The loud voices on this thread are complete outliers and it's good to see evidence that they are well out of step with the general public.

59 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Not surprised by the Yougov poll showing that most people in the UK are happy for restrictions to continue for months yet. It's the general view from almost everybody I hear from outside this thread.

Add that to the polling showing - despite people on this thread threatening to change their vote and speculating that others will do the same - that Scotland's Party are cruising to what may be a record election win in May, and perhaps the echo chamber on this thread should stop and consider that a few loud voices have this thread completely out of step with public opinion.

The government are not conspiring to lock up the population against its will for no reason. The population is not turning against the government.

I've said it before and will continue to point it out. The loud voices on this thread are complete outliers and it's good to see evidence that they are well out of step with the general public.

It’s encouraging to hear that people realise that human life is more precious than getting a pint and a package holiday in Magaluf.

5 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Question for you.

As I live in Thailand and the vaccine is not going live, until later this month and will take all year and next year for them to get to the magic 70% herd.  The Thai government saying it is only available to Thai nationals, even though I am registered with the local NHS (card carrier).

My question is. I left Scotland in 2008, while registered at my local GP, I have never offically declared I left the UK, if you can even do that. Would I still be registered at that said GP?  Therefore on the list for vaccination?

My late father didn't attend a doctors in the 53 years that I knew until the last few months of his life, he was still registered with the same doctor. 

Relating to NHS registrations from abroad - I have a pal who lives near Brisbane. He is still registered with his NHS Dentist and always makes a check-up appointment with them on Day 1 of his trips home, to give him time to make follow-up appointments if he needs any treatment. Not sure if he visits his GP or not whilst he's at it!

Some curious language at the end there. What is it that's "good" about it?

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
4 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Some curious language at the end there. What is it that's "good" about it?

Because it suggests that the heavy implication we've seen on here repeatedly that the public are going to give up on following restrictions is nonsense.

That's good news.

4 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

giphy (5).gif

Because it suggests that the heavy implication we've seen on here repeatedly that the public are going to give up on following restrictions is nonsense.
That's good news.
But, correct me if I'm wrong, you dont live here, and arent subject to the constant suggestion from govt that even although the vulnerable are safe, we need to continue under these restrictions. Why is it good that people continue to adhere without question, when all anyone is really asking for on this thread is answers on the route back to normality, which we havent been given? I dont understand your logic at all for branding it a good thing.

I know there are restrictions where you are btw. It doesnt matter whether they are stronger or weaker or the same. I just found it an odd take.

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

1)But, correct me if I'm wrong, you dont live here, and 2) arent subject to the constant suggestion from govt that even although the vulnerable are safe, we need to continue under these restrictions. Why is it good that people continue to adhere without question, when all anyone is really asking for on this thread is answers on the route back to normality, which we havent been given? 3) I dont understand your logic at all for branding it a good thing.

I know there are restrictions where you are btw. It doesnt matter whether they are stronger or weaker or the same. I just found it an odd take.

1) Correct. But I have family and friends at home and would like them to be safe and to one day be able to visit them again. Getting the covid right allows me to visit sooner.

2) Incorrect. That's exactly the message the government are giving here. And in lots of other countries.

3) The restrictions are designed to keep the public safe. If the public were about to abandon them, then we could be in for an absolute disaster. Happily, this is not the case. The public beyond this thread understand and accept restrictions are necessary and the Scottish electorate is about to thoroughly endorse the SNP government.

That's good news. If this thread were genuinely reflective of the public mood, we'd be weeks away from calamity. But it's not, and we're not.

1) Correct. But I have family and friends at home and would like them to be safe and to one day be able to visit them again. Getting the covid right allows me to visit sooner.
2) Incorrect. That's exactly the message the government are giving here. And in lots of other countries.
3) The restrictions are designed to keep the public safe. If the public were about to abandon them, then we could be in for an absolute disaster. Happily, this is not the case. The public beyond this thread understand and accept restrictions are necessary and the Scottish electorate is about to thoroughly endorse the SNP government.
That's good news. If this thread were genuinely reflective of the public mood, we'd be weeks away from calamity. But it's not, and we're not.
The restrictions are/were designed to keep the NHS from being overloaded IIRC. "Keeping the public safe" is hand wringing nonsense, and I'd have said that at the start when I whole heartedly endorsed the need for restrictions, or indeed, after the ridiculous Xmas free for all.

99% of the public are adequately safe with zero restrictions simply by the fact that the virus wont put them in hospital.

Once again though, no one in this thread is arguing against the previous or current need for restrictions, they are arguing about where the tipping point in the balance of risk lies, and that they cant see a scenario where it lies somewhere in the summer of 2022. So the idea that continued unquestioning acceptance of them by the wider public can be seen objectively as "good" just doesnt make any sense to me.

"Restrictions" is very broad though. 

Gigs and nightclubs clearly aren't coming back in the next few months. There will still be a requirement to isolate if you test positive or are a close contact of a positive test. There are travel restrictions and quarantine measures.

There will be some restrictions that continue but the ones that most impact us day to day should be lifted by the end of April. 

Edited by Detournement

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

"Restrictions" is very broad though. 

Gigs and nightclubs clearly aren't coming back in the next few months. There will still be a requirement to isolate if you test positive or are a close contact of a positive test. There are travel restrictions and quarantine measures.

There will be some restrictions that continue but the ones that most impact us day to day should be lifted by the end of April. 

Except detournement off P&B saying that (and I agree with the sentiment btw) carries significantly less clout than the ministers and advisors lining up to screech about SD staging in place long term, with some particularly Lovejoy ish ones using words like indefinitely....

Not a great one either for the 'open it all up once arms are jagged' brigade as the line is now vaccines AND treatments required before we return to normal and that they only expect this by year end.

This is the mixed messaging that sets folk off on this thread.

Guest TheJTS98
41 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

So the idea that continued unquestioning acceptance of them by the wider public can be seen objectively as "good" just doesnt make any sense to me.

Why do you keep insisting that acceptance of restrictions is 'unquestioning'?

What makes you think people haven't just thought about it and come to a different conclusion to you?

2 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Not a great one either for the 'open it all up once arms are jagged' brigade as the line is now vaccines AND treatments required before we return to normal and that they only expect this by year end.

This is the mixed messaging that sets folk off on this thread.

At least Hancock is offering a timetable of sorts with an end date, and something you can process in your brain, rather Sturgeon's horrible use of open ended language.

Edited by Steven W

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Except detournement off P&B saying that (and I agree with the sentiment btw) carries significantly less clout than the ministers and advisors lining up to screech about SD staging in place long term, with some particularly Lovejoy ish ones using words like indefinitely....

I was talking about interpreting the survey. 

I'm willing to wait and see how we open up. If unnecessary restrictions are kept in place then I'll probably go off the deep end about Great Reset stuff. Right now I'm hopeful that a lot of the Zero Covid stuff is posturing from fairly shallow politicians but there are also some deeply worrying indicators. It's wait and see until the Spring. 

Edited by Detournement